Fake news and the masses

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
First-year students at the Purdue School of Veterinarian Medicine were attending their first anatomy class with a real dead cow. They all gathered around the surgery table with the body covered with a white sheet.

The professor started the class by telling them, "In Veterinary medicine it is necessary to have two important qualities as a doctor. The first is that you not be disgusted by anything involving an animal's body." For an example, the professor pulled back the sheet, stuck his finger into the butt of the cow, withdrew it, and stuck his finger in his mouth. "Go ahead and do the same thing," he told his students.

The students freaked out, hesitated for several minutes, but eventually took turns sticking a finger in the butt of the dead cow and, sucked on it.......followed by assorted gagging, retching and spitting, etc.

When everyone had finished wiping their faces, the Professor looked at them and said, "The second most important quality is observation. I stuck in my middle finger and sucked on my index finger. Now learn to pay attention. Life is tough but it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Reactions: Mowich

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I have worked in Newspapers and magazines and I know that "the news" is just filler between the ads designed to sell more ads. Also, any "news" is slanted to the bias of the owner and publisher. There is not one media that is not slanted to influence the mindset of the consumer. It takes a lot of work to weed through the mountains of BS to get even a glimmer of truth.

Stop reading tyee news and Georgia straight then.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
To get to the point made in the original post, I have often commented on the 'outrage of the day'. A bus crash in lower buttsville, a flood in some place halfway around the world that you've never heard of, there's no end to the things that you are supposed to be outraged by.

And the point of the media, all media, is to get ratings so that ad revenue grows.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I was trying to save you the embarrassment of admitting that it flabbergasts you that the news moves on from old stories to new stories.

Actually, it does, but only when the story has not been fully explored, and I'm not embarrassed by it. Although, I am somewhat disillusioned, especially when a news item is being released by a political entity and timed perfectly so that they (the political entity) will not be available to face scrutiny or tough questions.

I will say, wading through the nonsense in this thread and the overall state of this forum without moderation is pretty flabbergasting.

Maybe, you should be consuming a better class of news. There is good reportage and analysis out there. Not everything is pre-digested for consumption by the Proles

Nope there is, but the integrity of news agencies and good reportage is definitely eroding.

Reactions: Mowich