Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Loc, you are a horrible person.

not at all.

in fact I'm well-liked, popular and quite successful.

my post topics are vastly more mighty, plentiful and varied than yours.

also nu-male, I am a better fukking troll than you are.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That is about the extent of his linkage with Trump too but it didn't stop the loony left from claiming it is Trump's fault.

True. Plus the NDP and trump are not as different from one another as they'd like to think, at least in their views on nationalism. They both tend to be protectionist (Mulcair being one of the few exceptions in his party).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
True. Plus the NDP and trump are not as different from one another as they'd like to think, at least in their views on nationalism. They both tend to be protectionist (Mulcair being one of the few exceptions in his party).

I'm not sure being protectionist is a bad idea. Beats the hell out of sending jobs to Bangladesh! :)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
not at all.

in fact I'm well-liked, popular and quite successful.

my post topics are vastly more mighty, plentiful and varied than yours.

also nu-male, I am a better fukking troll than you are.

Like I said, you are pretty grimey.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

The NDP actually evolved over the last decade to understand the importance of globalism.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Quebec and Canada have an Islamophobia problem

What was it like growing up in Quebec?

It’s a question I get often. My boilerplate response generally consists of admitting that while language issues did often come up for me growing up in a predominantly French-speaking town about an hour east of Montreal, racism was never really a factor.

However, I am always quick to point out that as an Indo-Canadian who spoke the right kind of French, I was raised in a Hindu household. So although I faced no racism, I am under no illusions that had my family been practicing Muslims I would have had a very different experience growing up in rural Quebec.

In the aftermath of the devastating attack on a mosque in Quebec City that has left six men dead and 19 injured, many are left wondering whether Quebec is in fact a distinct society when it comes to Islamophobia.

While there is ample evidence to suggest that Quebeckers are no more racist than their English Canadian counterparts, the same is not true regarding a negative conception of Islam. According to a Forum Research poll conducted late last year, 48 per cent of respondents from Quebec had a negative view of Islam, compared to 28 per cent of the rest of the country.

From Jacques Parizeau uttering the phrase “money and the ethnic vote” to explain why the sovereignty referendum was defeated in 1995 to the heated debate that engulfed Quebec in 2013 over “values,” Quebec’s unique brand of language and identity politics is no secret.

Once you factor in Quebec’s promotion of interculturalism to multiculturalism, along with the fact that the political class firmly believes in the French concept of laïcité, or secularism, a larger picture starts to unfold of just how easy it is for politicians to exploit anti-Muslim sentiment for political gain.

However, Canadians elsewhere should not be feeling too smug about this, as shoring up anti-Muslim sentiment is hardly relegated to Quebec. The 2015 federal election campaign featured the Conservative Party proposing a tip line for “barbaric cultural practices,” apparently unaware of the fact that people already have the ability to call the police should they suspect a monstrous crime is underway.

Similarly, the current Conservative leadership race has been a stark reminder of the fact that appealing to xenophobic voters is a legitimate strategy in trying to get votes.

Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch’s chief policy proposal is that she will screen immigrants and refugees for “Canadian values” without ever explaining how she will do this or what problem this will solve. Leitch’s flirtation with courting the unabashed bigot vote is so glaring that the pediatric surgeon with 22 letters after her name could not even bring herself to utter the words Muslim or mosque in her statement on the attack.

Quebec and Canada have an Islamophobia problem | Globalnews.ca

Islamophobic is a word created by fascists, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons. Andrew Cummins

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure being protectionist is a bad idea. Beats the hell out of sending jobs to Bangladesh! :)

Protectionism promotes economic inefficiency and so contributes to inflation which hurts the poor the most.

Trump doesn't mind paying tariffs because he can afford it. Not the ordinary working man though.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Funny how Quebec was once termed ''Quebecistan'' by Barbara Kay, a National Post reporter. Quebec was supposedly too friendly and tolerant towards islamist terrorism.

Now Quebec is suddenly viewed as being too islamophobic.

It's so easy to nitpick events to suit your own narrative.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The NDP actually evolved over the last decade to understand the importance of globalism.

I seem to remember that Mulcair had really irked members of his party for his pro-trade stance. This was before his ousting.

Immigration-wise too, the NDP insists on linking immigration to the social safety net. One reason immigration was so welcomed and immigration laws were so lax prior to WWI was because it wasn't linked to the social safety net. People would move to Canada to the degree that the free market could absorb them. So even if a billion people flooded Canada, it couldn't cost the taxpayer anything. Instead, it would be a billion more taxpayers.

The Libertarian Party of Canada holds this view today, that we should just have an open border to immigration, but the Libertarian Party delinks it from the social safety net. in other words, anyone can come to Canada as long as they can support themselves.

By insisting that immigration and the social safety net be linked, the NDP has created a hostile environment to immigration to the point where even the NDP itself must now support limits to immigration, albeit more generous than other parties. As a result, linking the two has made all parties, the NDP included, less tolerant of open borders than was the case prior to WWI. If we want to go back to the good old days of more open borders, we need to delink immigration from the social safety net.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Funny how Quebec was once termed ''Quebecistan'' by Barbara Kay, a National Post reporter. Quebec was supposedly too friendly and tolerant towards islamist terrorism.

Now Quebec is suddenly viewed as being too islamophobic.

It's so easy to nitpick events to suit your own narrative.

This is exactly what im saying and your from Quebec...