Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
The coward shooter was all over the map in his politics...might as well blame The Flying Yoga Party while we're at it.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Lets see... NDP... Bissonette... shoots up a room full of praying Muslims.... that does not sound like something Jesus would do.

The sad thing is... the whole world saw... and it was Canada. Not the US... Not the EU... Canada.

Soul searching is needed, particularly in the NDP.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Many on the planet have never even heard of the NDP.

They've heard of Canada though. All the world knows now is Canadians are not as welcoming as previously thought.

Canada needs to look hard at the NDP for bringing this shame upon her.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Lets see... NDP... Bissonette... shoots up a room full of praying Muslims.... that does not sound like something Jesus would do.

The sad thing is... the whole world saw... and it was Canada. Not the US... Not the EU... Canada.

Soul searching is needed, particularly in the NDP.

Not so much the NDP, but rather French nationalists. A strain of English nationalism exists in Canada too which can be equally dangerous. Unfortunately, all of Canada's major political parties dabble in English or French nationalism or both, and the NDP is no exception. But the NDP is no worse than the others and might even be better by a bit.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It is a whole lot easier to find those that hate liberty on the left.....although there are idiots all across the political spectrum. What "right wing" terrorist would you have the gov't monitor? Conservative voters?

See what I mean? Obviously I don't think the government should monitor people based on the fact that they vote Conservative. But the mere suggestion that right wing hate groups should be monitored and the persecution complex gets triggered and, like I said, you freak out.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
They've heard of Canada though. All the world knows now is Canadians are not as welcoming as previously thought.

Canada needs to look hard at the NDP for bringing this shame upon her.

Never mind the NDP. Like I said, nationalism is a growing problem in Canada generally across party lines. Each party just manifests it differently. On the right, against immigration and for militarism, and opposed to international institutions.

On the left, Canadian-content laws, protectionism (at least among many on the left), official bilingualism, separate schools (at the provincial level with the Liberal Party of Ontario and the Ontario NDP being passively approving of the separate school system). Now on the right, Leitch wants to take it even farther with a values test. The Bloc Quebecois wanted a charter of Quebec Values. We still have the Indian Act. Canada has much work to do on many fronts. The NDP is but a small part of the problem. Trust me.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Not so much the NDP, but rather French nationalists. A strain of English nationalism exists in Canada too which can be equally dangerous. Unfortunately, all of Canada's major political parties dabble in English or French nationalism or both, and the NDP is no exception. But the NDP is no worse than the others and might even be better by a bit.

Perhaps... but when you have an NDPer storming into a mosque and gunning down peaceful people who were simply praying then the NDP party that spawned him loses that cover.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Perhaps... but when you have an NDPer storming into a mosque and gunning down peaceful people who were simply praying then the NDP party that spawned him loses that cover.

Was he a member of the NDP? As far as I know, he merely liked Layton on Twitter.

Anyone who thinks Canadians aren't welcoming because of this is as dumb as someone who thinks a muslim ban will help with terrorism.

Her?

Ze motherland?

MentalFloss, Canadians aren't nearly as welcoming as I'd like it to be. If you believe that the little openness Canada now exhibits is not at risk n a future federal election, you need to go out and meet more people.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Putting aside the obvious fact that he was a #1 Trump fan, you should focus on the victims because you're getting really tasteless now.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
MentalFloss, Canadians aren't nearly as welcoming as I'd like it to be. If you believe that the little openness Canada now exhibits is not at risk n a future federal election, you need to go out and meet more people.

As Bissonette showed. The whole world saw. Soul searching is needed within Canada and particularly the NDP.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
QUEBEC — From a young age, Alexandre Bissonnette was fascinated with guns. As a boy, he would fire a pellet gun in the woods across the street from the house where he was raised in suburban Cap-Rouge, a neighbour recounted Tuesday. As a young teen, he joined the Cadets, where marksmanship is an important part of the training.

But it was later when his passion for firearms combined with right-wing extremist ideology that the fuse was allegedly lit for a rampage that left six worshippers dead in a Quebec City mosque Sunday evening.

Eric Debroise met Bissonnette late last year when a mutual friend brought him along to a regular political discussion that Debroise hosts at a pub near Université Laval.

Bissonnette was keen to talk about Marine Le Pen, the far-right French politician. On Facebook, Bissonnette declared himself a fan of Le Pen, as well as of U.S. President Donald Trump. Debroise said his informal group includes people of various political persuasions, but nobody was interested in hearing praise of the anti-immigrant Front National leader who had visited Quebec earlier in the year.

Accused Quebec mosque shooter had fascination for guns, extreme-right beliefs: sources

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's a silence the story ploy now that it doesn't fit the profile

A lot of silence. A lot of trying to make this go away.

In the end it is the NDP that must ask itself ... how can we get away from our message of hate and intolerance.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You seriously need to calm the fack down MF. Eaglesmack is getting triggered. As a Trumpite, he's only one sniffity sniffily comment away from snapping. I'm sure you don't want to be responsible.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
On the left, Canadian-content laws, protectionism (at least among many on the left), official bilingualism, separate schools (at the provincial level with the Liberal Party of Ontario and the Ontario NDP being passively approving of the separate school system). Now on the right, Leitch wants to take it even farther with a values test. The Bloc Quebecois wanted a charter of Quebec Values. We still have the Indian Act. Canada has much work to do on many fronts. The NDP is but a small part of the problem. Trust me.

Did the NDP take advantage of his weaknesses? White supremacist often take the weak and disenfranchised and it is apparent the NDP did that here with Bissonette.