Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So it appears now that the shooter was a Trumpite. I wonder if the rest of the Trumpites will be calling for a Trumpite registry in Canada. If this guy is, in fact, a Trumpite there will be two indisputable facts to consider. 1. Trumpites will be one of the leading causes of terrorist killing in Canada and 2. Trumpites are unstable.

Might be a good idea to keep an eye on Trumpites. They are advocates of terrorism.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Again... if this was the motive... it was not because of Americanization. It was Franco Canadian to the core.

That's a little simplistic, but yes, there is an element of fanatical secularism that exists in France and Quebec. Quebecers can access much French media too even more easily than US media.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That's a little simplistic, but yes, there is an element of fanatical secularism that exists in France and Quebec. Quebecers can access much French media too even more easily than US media.

Is this guy a "pur Laine" type of fascist?

It's way too early to determine, that. I doubt it, myself.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Is this guy a "pur Laine" type of fascist?

It's way too early to determine, that. I doubt it, myself.

That's possible too. The pure-laine type fall into two major groups: fanatical French Catholics and fanatical French secularists. But seeing how the fanatical Catholics a minority themselves and effectively on the defensive against fanatical secularism, I doubt they'd be launching an offensive against a mosque. The fanatical secularist type is an extremist strain of the dominant secularist ideology in France that is creeping into Quebec and challenging Catholic dominance. with a perception of secularism being the dominant ideology, the extremists among them are likely to be more emboldened and willing to go on an offensive seeing how secularism is already fairly solid in Quebec.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That's possible too. The pure-laine type fall into two major groups: fanatical French Catholics and fanatical French secularists. But seeing how the fanatical Catholics a minority themselves and effectively on the defensive against fanatical secularism, I doubt they'd be launching an offensive against a mosque. The fanatical secularist type is an extremist strain of the dominant secularist ideology in France that is creeping into Quebec and challenging Catholic dominance. with a perception of secularism being the dominant ideology, the extremists among them are likely to be more emboldened and willing to go on an offensive seeing how secularism is already fairly solid in Quebec.

They dropped Catholicism in Quebec *like a live grenade" as we used to say.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
TSEC is fake news but it's important to deflect attention away from the deranged Trumpite terrorist

Trump is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but Quebec secularism is an independent strain of fanaticism from its US counterpart. One possible common element between French secularism and Trumpism is the ethnic aspect of it. Quebec secularists are often French ethno-secularists promoting secularism combined with Catholic symbols and the French language as a part of French ethnic identity. The version in France downplays the catholic element more so than its Quebec counterpart though.

They dropped Catholicism in Quebec *like a live grenade" as we used to say.

If you follow French media, the Catholicist element is still very much there and pushing back, albeit on the defensive. the dominant culture is secularist, but a strong Catholic counterculture, often rooted in nostalgia, is still very much alive and well there.

But again, they're on the defensive themselves. If anything, they'd tend to be looking for allies among the Muslim community.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Trump is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but Quebec secularism is an independent strain of fanaticism from its US counterpart. One possible common element between French secularism and Trumpism is the ethnic aspect of it. Quebec secularists are often French ethno-secularists promoting secularism combined with Catholic symbols and the French language as a part of French ethnic identity. The version in France downplays the catholic element more so than its Quebec counterpart though.

If you follow French media, the Catholicist element is still very much there and pushing back, albeit on the defensive. the dominant culture is secularist, but a strong Catholic counterculture, often rooted in nostalgia, is still very much alive and well there.

But again, they're on the defensive themselves. If anything, they'd tend to be looking for allies among the Muslim community.
[see:Marine le Pen]

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
during the protests against the Quebec Values charter proposal a few years ago for example, the Catholics and Muslims were very much on the same page in their opposition, while hard-line secularists thought the proposed Charter didn't go far enough!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
during the protests against the Quebec Values charter proposal a few years ago for example, the Catholics and Muslims were very much on the same page in their opposition, while hard-line secularists thought the proposed Charter didn't go far enough!

They would think of themselves as scientific and tolerant, no doubt.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
[see:Marine le Pen]

I don't know as much about her. If I'm not mistaken, she's an extreme ethnosecularist who downplays the Catholic element, typical in France. Though in France too, ethnoCatholicist elements do exist. Or am I wrong about Le Pen. I'll look it up.

A quick read gives me the impression that Le Pen falls more in the hard secularist camp, though I seem to remember her throwing a verbal bone out to Catholics on a few occasions, but seemingly more out of just winning their votes. But reading her stronger words, I think she's hard ethno-secularist, not Catholic.

They would think of themselves as scientific and tolerant, no doubt.

They wanted to liberate Muslim women by ripping their scarves off of their heads and telling them to assimilate.

One big difference between the Anglo-Saxon variety of secularity or open secularism and the French version of closed secularism is that the former simply supports freedom for all religions whereas the latter wants religion pushed behind the closed doors of the home.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I find it hard to believe mentalfloss would laugh at the victims of the Nice tragedy as was mentioned many times in this thread.

I'd like somebody to re-post that thread where he's doing that.

I haven't been on this site for that long. And although I've found mentalfloss to be a little misguided, I've always felt he had a big heart. I'd like to see the proof of the accusations that he was mocking those dead men and women. Because as it stands now, I don't believe it.

read the thread yourself. mentalcuck is a low-functioning arsehole. he should probably an hero himself.

80 people

What was the last one there, 300?

Things are improving!

Nice terror attack :lol:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/144839-truck-plows-into-crowd-nice.html

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
"80 people. What was the last one there, 300? Things are improving!

"Nice terror attack"

- mentalfloss

THAT'S IT?!

What's wrong with the first quote??

As for "Nice terror attack", mentalfloss was simply playing on the irony/ double meaning of the word "Nice" as it applied to a tragedy!

I'm glad I requested this old thread to clear things up.

Nothing to see here folks...move on.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
They've charged the Quebecois guy with six counts of murder. The Muslim from Morocco ... the witness, that they named in neon lights, is now a dead man walking.

I don't know as much about her. If I'm not mistaken, she's an extreme ethnosecularist who downplays the Catholic element, typical in France. Though in France too, ethnoCatholicist elements do exist. Or am I wrong about Le Pen. I'll look it up.

A quick read gives me the impression that Le Pen falls more in the hard secularist camp, though I seem to remember her throwing a verbal bone out to Catholics on a few occasions, but seemingly more out of just winning their votes. But reading her stronger words, I think she's hard ethno-secularist, not Catholic.

They wanted to liberate Muslim women by ripping their scarves off of their heads and telling them to assimilate.

One big difference between the Anglo-Saxon variety of secularity or open secularism and the French version of closed secularism is that the former simply supports freedom for all religions whereas the latter wants religion pushed behind the closed doors of the home.

Did you know that I have Heugenot ancestry?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
They've charged the Quebecois guy with six counts of murder. The Muslim from Morocco ... the witness, that they named in neon lights, is now a dead man walking.

Did you know that I have Heugenot ancestry?

I think you mentioned that once.

It's a shame how the French Catholics oppressed them. They could have contributed much more to French literature otherwise.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I think you mentioned that once.

It's a shame how the French Catholics oppressed them. They could have contributed much more to French literature otherwise.

Samuel de Champlain was Huegenot but that was before Protestantism was outlawed, so it didn't make much of a blip.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Might be a good idea to keep an eye on Trumpites. They are advocates of terrorism.

Looks like he is also a fan of the NDP... better keep an eye on those advocates of terrorism.

Quebec City mosque shooting: Alexandre Bissonnette charged with 6 counts of 1st degree murder | Globalnews.ca

According to Bisonnette’s Facebook page, which has been taken down, his “likes” include the leader of France’s far right party Marine Le Pen, critics of Islam Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the Israeli Defense Forces, and Donald Trump. However he also “likes” the NDP and former leader Jack Layton.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Pure Laine, perhaps! But I would say no more pure laine than the attackers on Charlie Hebdo, who surely see themselves as the purest of the pure. We can also say that la pure laine is very much alive in the US, Britain, Ireland, Scotish, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Italy, Germany, etc etc.....