Trudeau Is Going To Bury Us In Debt

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure about that. I'm sure the government was probably forced to raise taxes and cut spending to get help from other governments and the IMF.

Maybe that's what Canada needs. A tough pill to swallow, but I bet Greece will see an economic miracle in a few decades thanks to the balanced budgets forced on it. The balanced budgets will toughen them up as a people, and they'll probably end up with a streamlined, no frills no gimmicks government as a result.

Huh - I just heard on the radio this morning that Greece is back in trouble again. Must check that out.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
It's internal debt so it's fine.
Our Debt to GDP ratio is also fine.
Japan is an example of why debt isn't something to be concerned about.

Forget Greece, Japan is the world’s real economic time bomb
Forget Greece, Japan is the world's real economic time bomb | Fortune.com

In conclusion, I would like to point out that if the government does nothing specific to address these issues while the economy is seeing a moderate but continuing recovery, there will be a tremendous price to pay at some time in the future.
http://www.japanpolicyforum.jp/archives/editor/pt20151225124313.html

really, do you even read what you type?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Forget Greece, Japan is the world’s real economic time bomb
Forget Greece, Japan is the world's real economic time bomb | Fortune.com

In conclusion, I would like to point out that if the government does nothing specific to address these issues while the economy is seeing a moderate but continuing recovery, there will be a tremendous price to pay at some time in the future.
Japan’s Economic Outlook for 2016 | Discuss Japan – Japan Foreign Policy Forum:

really, do you even read what you type?

Yeah, they said the same thing about Japan on the radio this a.m. as well. Apparently, we re headed for a financial disaster within the next few years if not sooner. I don t recall hearing any solutions though, although I might have fallen back to sleep.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Lol no Japan is doing quite well because its debt is internal, meaning it really doesn't matter how high it goes.

All of Greece's debt is external, which is why people get issues at the bank.

Even then, the situation there isn't that bad.

Neither is fine. Most of our debt is borrowed money that we pay interest on.

The standard of living has gone up regardless, so don't worry.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
That's normal.

There is low growth everywhere.

Under Harper, we actually suffered a recession in 2015 because of low spending and tax cuts.

Thankfully we are getting necessary investments now.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Lol no Japan is doing quite well because its debt is internal, meaning it really doesn't matter how high it goes.

All of Greece's debt is external, which is why people get issues at the bank.

Even then, the situation there isn't that bad.

The standard of living has gone up regardless, so don't worry.

Ni it hasn't and our grandkids are not going to be impressed with your greedy squandering that they will be expected to pay for.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
You contards seem to conveniently forget that your hero steve had the biggest deficit in Canadian history, but then,facts are foreign to you ****ers

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Huh - I just heard on the radio this morning that Greece is back in trouble again. Must check that out.

Like I said. It's a good thing. It'll toughen them up.

You contards seem to conveniently forget that your hero steve had the biggest deficit in Canadian history, but then,facts are foreign to you ****ers

I've been critical of debt of any stripe. In fact, I opposed CPC tax cuts in the face of mounting deficits. At least Trudeau was honest about growing the debt. he at least had that going for him.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yes during a minority parliament when the other parties were demanding spending . Lets not forget to tell the whole story .

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Yes during a minority parliament when the other parties were demanding spending . Lets not forget to tell the whole story .
Exactly!! He was threatened with a freaking coup attempt by the other parties if he didn't surrender to their demand of extreme spending. But somehow the resulting debt is considered his fault. Unreal!!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Exactly!! He was threatened with a freaking coup attempt by the other parties if he didn't surrender to their demand of extreme spending. But somehow the resulting debt is considered his fault. Unreal!!

He had the option of letting the other parties form a coalition government, let Canada see how they governed, and then form a few majority governments. Instead, he chose to grow the debt himself and so tarnished his own reputation in the process. This also made him appear less different from the other parties. The others openly admitted to wanting to borrow and spend while Harper came across as a hypocrite.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
He had the option of letting the other parties form a coalition government, let Canada see how they governed, and then form a few majority governments. Instead, he chose to grow the debt himself and so tarnished his own reputation in the process. This also made him appear less different from the other parties. The others openly admitted to wanting to borrow and spend while Harper came across as a hypocrite.
Just keep telling yourself that it wasn't a sad attempt by the other parties at a power grab, sounds like you've convinced yourself.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Just keep telling yourself that it wasn't a sad attempt by the other parties at a power grab, sounds like you've convinced yourself.

Of course it was an attempt at a power grab, and Harper would have been wise to entertain it. That would have let Canada see them for what they are and then vote CPC again for a few elections. Instead, he chose to borrow and spend himself. No one forced him to borrow and spend. He made that choice. So the difference between him and the others is merely one of degrees. But that they admitted to wanting to borrow and spend and he pretended to be a fiscal conservative while doing the same thing made him look less honest.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Of course it was an attempt at a power grab, and Harper would have been wise to entertain it. That would have let Canada see them for what they are and then vote CPC again for a few elections. Instead, he chose to borrow and spend himself. No one forced him to borrow and spend. He made that choice. So the difference between him and the others is merely one of degrees. But that they admitted to wanting to borrow and spend and he pretended to be a fiscal conservative while doing the same thing made him look less honest.
Wow, Harper should have had you on the team as his personal advisor, you seem to know exactly what he was thinking and how best to proceed when threatened with such a pathetic attempt by the other parties. He really missed an opportunity.

Like I said. It's a good thing. It'll toughen them up.

Sounds like you have Greece figured out as well. Brilliant, you're on fire genius.

I've been critical of debt of any stripe. In fact, I opposed CPC tax cuts in the face of mounting deficits. At least Trudeau was honest about growing the debt. he at least had that going for him.

Trudeau campaigned on growing the debt by less than 10 billion a year over 2 years, then returning to a balanced budget in 2019. He subsequently blew his promise in the first year alone by a factor of almost 4 with positively no intention of balancing anything in subsequent years. Trudeau was far from honest about anything regarding his intentions. I feel sorry for you for getting fooled into believing anything he said.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Trudeau campaigned on growing the debt by less than 10 billion a year over 2 years, then returning to a balanced budget in 2019. He subsequently blew his promise in the first year alone by a factor of almost 4 with positively no intention of balancing anything in subsequent years. Trudeau was far from honest about anything regarding his intentions. I feel sorry for you for getting fooled into believing anything he said.

How refreshing to see someone on board here with both intelligence and common sense! I hope you can perform some miracles too.:) :) Would it be asking too much that you could get the self proclaimed experts on the forum here back on track? Don't get discouraged.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Wow, Harper should have had you on the team as his personal advisor, you seem to know exactly what he was thinking and how best to proceed when threatened with such a pathetic attempt by the other parties. He really missed an opportunity.

Sounds like you have Greece figured out as well. Brilliant, you're on fire genius.

Yes, now he appears to be equally dishonest... or incompetent. But that was not known at the time of the election. What was known then was that Harper failed to balance the books too.

I had voted for no party. I had voted for a local candidate who was NDP because I liked some of her ideas but otherwise was not sure what party to support. I liked the Conservatives in principle on the economic front, but found them a little on the xenophobic side and Harper failed to balance the books. Mulcair was promising to balance the books and seemed pro-free-trade and somewhat less xenophobic, but seemed a little too confrontational, just like Harper. Trudeau turned me off on his promise to grow the debt but at least seemed honest about it. In the end, I didn't know what party to vote for so just voted for the best local candidate.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Yes, now he appears to be equally dishonest... or incompetent. But that was not known at the time of the election.
Did you actually believe the little princess when he declared budgets balance themselves? Lol.

What is important is not the level of debt, but the ratio of debt to GDP, and the cost of debt servicing.

How about sticking to what he committed to...is that important??

-Trudeau’s campaign promise: down to 27% by 2019
-Finance department’s forecast: still up at 30.4% by 2021
Fail.