Salty social conservatives are galvanising in Ontario

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Of course.

I think libertarians are just as stupid as social conservatives.

Hmmm... So you don't want us to be too social conservative, but you want us to maintain a tinge of it. Is that it? So where do you think is the right balance if I may ask?

How liberal should we be with regards to alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, lottery tickets and other gambling products, etc.?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'll be fine, Liberals will win again.

The teen candidate that spells trouble for PC leader Patrick Brown: Fisher

Two weeks ago you predicted that trouble was coming for Patrick Brown. What happened in Niagara-West Glanbrook?

The plan in Niagara-West Glanbrook was not to have Mr. Oosterhoff as a candidate, it was to have Mr. Dykstra as a candidate, a friend of Mr. Brown's. Mr. Brown did keep hands off in the nomination process. Clearly the view was that Mr. Dykstra had the experience that Mr. Brown wanted to bring to Queen's Park. It's almost a given that a Conservative will win this particular riding. You hear that privately from the Liberals and New Democrats. Still, Mr. Oosterhoff has really shaken up the Conservative party and, in particular, Mr. Brown.

19-year-old Sam Oosterhoff wins PC nomination for Niagara West-Glanbrook

Why do you think the Conservatives in that riding chose to elect him?

Mr. Brown will deny this, and that's fine, I'll take him on his word but if you examine the demographic of the people who supported Mr. Oosterhoff you will see that they come from the social conservative side of the party — people who would be from the right to life movement, evangelical Christians, people who oppose Kathleen Wynne's sex ed. curriculum and who would oppose gay marriage.

These are issues that could well define Patrick Brown. He says he's a changed man from his days on Parliament Hill and is looking to create a more centrist PC party. It would be hard to describe Sam Oosterhoff, even as a 19-year-old first year poli-sci Brock University student — he's obviously paying attention to his lectures there — as a centrist part of the Conservative party.

The teen candidate that spells trouble for PC leader Patrick Brown: Fisher - Hamilton - CBC News

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What's the relation between a carbon tax and social conservatism? I could be described as a social conservative and I support a carbon tax. In fact, the two do not contradict one another and could even be said to go hand in hand.

Social conservatism does not even necessarily conflict with science. For example, stricter laws against alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, gambling etc. would go hand in hand with public health policy backed by science.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Okay that was funny.

Next you're going to tell me Christianity makes someone a good person.

I don't profess the Christian Faith. But to me social conservatism means taking responsibility. A carbon tax fits in with that. Making businesses more responsible about how they sell acohol, tobacco, marijuana, and lottery tickets fits in to that too, along with many other things.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Social conservatism just means holding on to something (whether it's good or bad)