POLL: Should a Grade 12 Education Be Mandatory?

Should a Grade 12 Education Be Mandatory?

• Ya

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They have a red seal program in high school?

Who hands out the authority to proclaim "f*ck it, good enough, I don't have to live here."

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Without a diploma or certificate you'd know more?

Well, you wouldn't be under the delusion that a certificate makes you knowledgable. The certificate may make it easier to "sell" yourself, but once you have the job it does nothing to put the roof on any better.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, you wouldn't be under the delusion that a certificate makes you knowledgable. The certificate may make it easier to "sell" yourself, but once you have the job it does nothing to put the roof on any better.

Something I've heard on job sites a million time....."These ****ing engieners need to work on a jobsite for two years before going into engineering school".

Things I've heard engineers say, "is a there f*cking builder on the planet who knows what square and plumb mean?"

Leaky roofs??? "F*ck it, good enough, I don't have to live here."

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Has he had a job during the last 2 years

If not then he should be given the truth of life - Finish and pass or find a job.

that point will come, his mom isn't ready to go to that phase, she is patient and his/her life
isn't in jeopardy at this point, there is food on the table and a roof over their heads.

He isn't lazy, just trying to get from being a teenager to becoming an adult and he is so aware
of many aspects of life that he is looking out there and it is a bit overwhelming right now.
I think that being in school keeps him from having to make that leap right now, we can all see
that, and there is no need to force him along, he will find his way.

If he was rebellious or had problems with teachers, or other personal problems it would be different,
but he is just 'stalling' right now, a bit worried about what decisions to make for himself for the
future.
His mind will settle soon and will see clearer and be more comfortable about moving forward.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Do you think diplomas and certificates are the be all and end all? I know lots of people that have no certifications or diplomas and have better skill sets than those with the certifications. I know red seal mechanics, plumbers, gas fitters, and tin bashers that shouldn't be allowed to touch a tool, and on the other hand I know non "licensed" back yarders and HVAC techs that make the licensed guys look like hacks.

You got that right, Gerry, I knew several technicians that could "run rings around" some engineers. Yet the engineer had to sign off on the technician's work.

One gift good schools give youth is an appreciation for knowledge for its own sake.

You got that right, the purpose of education is many fold, employment is just one.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
that point will come, his mom isn't ready to go to that phase, she is patient and his/her life
isn't in jeopardy at this point, there is food on the table and a roof over their heads.

He isn't lazy, just trying to get from being a teenager to becoming an adult and he is so aware
of many aspects of life that he is looking out there and it is a bit overwhelming right now.
I think that being in school keeps him from having to make that leap right now, we can all see
that, and there is no need to force him along, he will find his way.

If he was rebellious or had problems with teachers, or other personal problems it would be different,
but he is just 'stalling' right now, a bit worried about what decisions to make for himself for the
future.
His mind will settle soon and will see clearer and be more comfortable about moving forward.
Self motivation and the appreciation of achievement can be hard to come by for some. It's why I'm for flexible teaching and learning methodology.

When he does get into the workforce and runs into "hard noses" will he be able to handle it?

You got that right, Gerry, I knew several technicians that could "run rings around" some engineers. Yet the engineer had to sign off on the technician's work.

You got that right, the purpose of education is many fold, employment is just one.
See post #103

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Something I've heard on job sites a million time....."These ****ing engieners need to work on a jobsite for two years before going into engineering school".

Things I've heard engineers say, "is a there f*cking builder on the planet who knows what square and plumb mean?"

Leaky roofs??? "F*ck it, good enough, I don't have to live here."

My very next post was going to address the laziness factor, but you just covered it. There's one other possibility, the worker may have been dedicated but the boss may have been in a rush to get his money and get on to the next job.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Self motivation and the appreciation of achievement can be hard to come by for some. It's why I'm for flexible teaching and learning methodology.

When he does get into the workforce and runs into "hard noses" will he be able to handle it?

See post #103

certainly, he will be an adult then, he won't be who he is now. He isn't weak, he isn't afraid
of anyone, he is just a bit hesitant about growing up 'right now', he isn't sensitive, but he
is very aware of many things in the world, much more than most 'his' age.

One gift good schools give youth is an appreciation for knowledge for its own sake.

exactly, it is two way street, the student who sees that, and acts on it, can become anything they
want, as they see the possibilities in life, for them.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
certainly, he will be an adult then, he won't be who he is now. He isn't weak, he isn't afraid
of anyone, he is just a bit hesitant about growing up 'right now', he isn't sensitive, but he
is very aware of many things in the world, much more than most 'his' age.

If it's life experience he needs to appreciate the value of those last few short months of school then perhaps a break and a run at the workforce might help him on his way.

I've seen a lot of confusion between being smart, wise and experienced in this thread.

Something to think about.....

If you took two people who have never played pool before with one having little knowledge of geometry and physics and the other being very knowledgable of geometry and physics , who do you think will win the game?

My very next post was going to address the laziness factor, but you just covered it. There's one other possibility, the worker may have been dedicated but the boss may have been in a rush to get his money and get on to the next job.
Is it laziness or lack of problem solving skills?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In that case a mulititude of reasons, BUT after all the other f**Kups were made, where was the building inspecter?
Sitting in his truck wishing he had x-ray vision like Superman to see what was covered up or sitting there thinking "gees, what a f*cking mess, I'm glad I don't have to live there."

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You're funny, Petros!-:)
But no matter what I guarantee that building inspector would give me back 75 cents if i handed him $2.02 for a $1.27 item and he'd also know that if builders knew what square and plumb were he'd be out of work as an inspector and back working design.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If it's life experience he needs to appreciate the value of those last few short months of school then perhaps a break and a run at the workforce might help him on his way.

I've seen a lot of confusion between being smart, wise and experienced in this thread.

Something to think about.....

If you took two people who have never played pool before with one having little knowledge of geometry and physics and the other being very knowledgable of geometry and physics , who do you think will win the game?

Interesting point, and I will answer it this way. My husband, (yes, the one who finished grade 9),
knew almost nothing about geometry, but with a pool cue in his hand, he could beat almost anyone who
challenged him, great hand eye co ordination, and a keen competetive nature, would take on all comers.
A geometry wiz wouldn't have had anything on him.
He picked up a pool cue, and learned the game very very quickly.

And, without the geometry skills in school, he also went on to build many houses, and build boats,
his way, take a look, think about it for a while, build it in his sleep, then build it while awake.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Interesting point, and I will answer it this way. My husband, (yes, the one who finished grade 9),
knew almost nothing about geometry, but with a pool cue in his hand, he could beat almost anyone who
challenged him, great hand eye co ordination, and a keen competetive nature, would take on all comers.

And, without the geometry skills in school, he also went on to build many houses, and build boats,
his way, take a look, think about it for a while, build it in his sleep, then build it while awake.

That is based on his experience. If either had never played before, who would win?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That is based on his experience. If either had never played before, who would win?

he would, his skills were built in, didn't have to measure anything, or have instruments, unless of
course the geometry wiz had the same built in skills he had, then they would have been on an even
basis, 'game on'.

and if you are suggesting a geometry wiz would measure every shot before he took
it, that would be ridiculous, and even after that, he has to 'execute the shot',
and that has nothing to do with geometry, oh yes, we are back to those built in
skills again, and the killer instict to 'win'.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He picked up a pool cue, and learned the game very very quickly.

He might not know geometry in the sense the mathematician does but he senses facts like the angle of entry = the angle of exit and probably has a "feeling" for the right angle triangle..............you can play pool without having to be able to recite sines and cosines!-:)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
He might not know geometry in the sense the mathematician does but he senses facts like the angle of entry = the angle of exit and probably has a "feeling" for the right angle triangle..............you can play pool without having to be able to recite sines and cosines!-:)

those things were all built in to his brain and his hand eye co ordination did the rest.

I guess he did have a good sense of geometry, that would be his built in ability to learn
anything that took keen hand eye co ordination.

he would have been a very good boxer, very quick hands, and the strength and desire to beat anyone.

with a grade nine education he became a very good chess player, great patience and 'again', the
desire to beat his competitor.

Everything isn't all about what grade one passed, all of us older folks know that, we have seen it
over and over.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
he would, his skills were built in, didn't have to measure anything, or have instruments, unless of
course the geometry wiz had the same built in skills he had, then they would have been on an even
basis, 'game on'.

and if you are suggesting a geometry wiz would measure every shot before he took
it, that would be ridiculous, and even after that, he has to 'execute the shot',
and that has nothing to do with geometry, oh yes, we are back to those built in
skills again, and the killer instict to 'win'.
Still based on experience and knowledge of geometry and physics, like I say, somebody WITHOUT or little.

There is no way in hell somebody without or little would beat somebody with the foreknowledge of the outcome of a certain action.