BREAKING: WABC: One dead in school shooting in Newtown, CT

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Funny. If you think any stupid and expensive registry would have stopped the nutjob from killing, then .......... (Not going to finish the comment because it's against the rules and would contain insulting terms).

Whatever.
Personally, I like Canada's rules about firearms as they are and I'm not stupid enough nor unrealistic enough to think that bans would work.
A good dose of education about firearms along with a good dose of licensing keeps the vast majority of Canadians in line; even the ones that bucked the Registry. But then there's not much danger that those Canadians would run around shooting people anyway. Canada, apparently quite willingly, lets nutjobs run around loose and cannot do enough to keep murderous criminals at bay and THOSE PEOPLE are the heart of the problem. Accessibillity to things that can kill is just a side issue.

The Gun Registry won't stop any nut case from going on a rampage. But it can restrict opportunity. The case in Newtown is almost textbook. An unstable young man with easy access to firearms goes on a killing spree. It is entirely possible that if he was not surrounded by firearms his irrational behaviour may have taken a different direction. The point is Canada has only a fraction of the firearm deaths the US has and lack of access to firearms has a great deal to do with it.

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but in the US and Canada it is not criminals that go on mass shootings, it is the supposedly ordinary citizen who uses his personal firearm collection to attack his fellow citizens. Fewer firearms simply means there a fewer of these sorts of incidents.

An American disease??

Canada, Germany, and Great Britain have all had school shootings.

And VERY strict gun control.

BTW, the weapon used in Connecticut is restricted in Canada.

Really? In the same number? Give me a break - or better yet give me some statistics to back up your statement. As I said - the US has had 70 school shootings since 1994. How many has Canada, Germany, and Great Britain had? I'm guessing not even 10% of that number.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Perhaps you haven't noticed, but in the US and Canada it is not criminals that go on mass shootings, it is the supposedly ordinary citizen who uses his personal firearm collection to attack his fellow citizens. Fewer firearms simply means there a fewer of these sorts of incidents.

We have had a complete ban on drugs. How has that worked out?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Made a lot of people rich.

Yes it has. It is foolish to think banning guns is going to stop gun violence. Banning drugs hasn't stopped people from taking them. I bet many people in here that want guns banned want the ban on drugs lifted because the War on Drugs is a failure and we should just legalize drugs.

I wonder how many kids have been killed on our nations roads this year?

Pelosi Rails Against “Assault Magazines” On MSNBC…

Assault magazines? — Could she be any more clueless?

That's right...magazines.

Annnnyhow...thanks nancy. :lol:

Pelosi Rails Against “Assault Magazines” On MSNBC… | Weasel Zippers

What about assault Six Packs? Assault bottles of wine?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The Gun Registry won't stop any nut case from going on a rampage. But it can restrict opportunity.
lol How and for whom? As I keep saying; the people that are the dangerous ones will get firearms (or other weapons)regardless of the rules. The rest have no interest in being any danger to others.
The case in Newtown is almost textbook. An unstable young man with easy access to firearms goes on a killing spree. It is entirely possible that if he was not surrounded by firearms his irrational behaviour may have taken a different direction.
Yeah, someones antique cavalry sword, or a homemade bomb would do.
The point is Canada has only a fraction of the firearm deaths the US has and lack of access to firearms has a great deal to do with it.
Nope. It's the attitude that makes the difference. There's no shortage of firearms in Canada.

Squirrelies are not "ordinary" citizens. Fewer fuirearms means fewer incidents involving firearms, not necessarily fewer incidents.

Made a lot of people rich.
....... and the general pop. poorer.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
lol How and for whom? As I keep saying; the people that are the dangerous ones will get firearms (or other weapons)regardless of the rules. The rest have no interest in being any danger to others.

It's not about stopping criminals who use guns it is about stopping people who are obeying the law because for the most part they are conservative.

67 Murders in Boston this year... where is the outrage against the criminals?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It's not about stopping criminals who use guns it is about stopping people who are obeying the law because for the most part they are conservative.
Actually it isn't even about that. It's simple kneejerk, ill-thought-out, and emotional response and vote pandering.

67 Murders in Boston this year... where is the outrage against the criminals?
From the families.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

I note that there is nothing in your reply that refutes my statement. And you are comparing apples and oranges with guns and drugs. People don't grow guns in their basements or mix them up in their garages. Cutting off guns at the source is relatively easy as the much stronger bans in Europe and elsewhere have shown.

lol How and for whom? As I keep saying; the people that are the dangerous ones will get firearms (or other weapons)regardless of the rules. The rest have no interest in being any danger to others. Yeah, someones antique cavalry sword, or a homemade bomb would do. Nope. It's the attitude that makes the difference. There's no shortage of firearms in Canada.

Squirrelies are not "ordinary" citizens. Fewer fuirearms means fewer incidents involving firearms, not necessarily fewer incidents.
....... and the general pop. poorer.

Sorry, but you are simply wrong. The shooter in Newtown was just an ordinary citizen as was his mother. Neither had a criminal record and you might note that almost all of the mass shootings in the US have been carried out by people who are considered honest law-abiding citizens.

Pelosi Rails Against “Assault Magazines” On MSNBC…

Assault magazines? — Could she be any more clueless?

That's right...magazines.

Annnnyhow...thanks nancy. :lol:

Pelosi Rails Against “Assault Magazines” On MSNBC… | Weasel Zippers

Thanks Locutus. But apparently you simply don't understand firearms. Most nations that allow gun ownership restrict magazine size (Canada is one of these) usually to five round clips. The US allows 30 round clips, which means that a shooter could theoretically target 30 individuals before having to reload. In reducing the carnage in the US limiting magazine size is a logical first step.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I note that there is nothing in your reply that refutes my statement. And you are comparing apples and oranges with guns and drugs. People don't grow guns in their basements or mix them up in their garages. Cutting off guns at the source is relatively easy as the much stronger bans in Europe and elsewhere have shown.

So we'll get the world to ban gun manufacturing? If there is a market for guns, and there is... other countries will gladly feed it. Just as Mexico, Central America, and South America feed our drug habit.

I'm not comparing apples to oranges. We have a total ban on drugs... you can get them anywhere and any kind right in my home town... illegally of course.

Your ban will only prevent law abiding citizens for purchasing a weapon.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Sorry, but you are simply wrong. The shooter in Newtown was just an ordinary citizen as was his mother.
lol Yeah, the shooter was completely normal. No mental problems at all. :rolleyes: Newtown massacre motives: likely factors behind school-shooting emerge — RT
Neither had a criminal record and you might note that almost all of the mass shootings in the US have been carried out by people who are considered honest law-abiding citizens.
Lots of people that are unstable appear to be normal, yes?

Good luck banning firearms in North America.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
So we'll get the world to ban gun manufacturing? If there is a market for guns, and there is... other countries will gladly feed it. Just as Mexico, Central America, and South America feed our drug habit.

I'm not comparing apples to oranges. We have a total ban on drugs... you can get them anywhere and any kind right in my home town... illegally of course.

The school killer wasn't a criminal. He was living with an honest average law abiding citizen who was a gun owner. So yes I would prefer they be kept away from law abiding citizens. They pose more danger to honest living people than drug lords.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Actually it isn't even about that. It's simple kneejerk, ill-thought-out, and emotional response and vote pandering.

From the families.

If the murder of 20 school children and seven teachers doesn't make your knee jerk then there is probably something wrong with you. The sad thing is that is seems to take a horrific event like this to illustrate the illness that is a part of American gun culture.

lol Yeah, the shooter was completely normal. No mental problems at all. :rolleyes: Newtown massacre motives: likely factors behind school-shooting emerge — RT
Lots of people that are unstable appear to be normal, yes?

Good luck banning firearms in North America.

You've just made my point. So far as the law is concerned there is nothing wrong with people like the shooter or his mother having access to firearms that are almost military grade. And no, I don't expect an outright ban of guns in the US - but I do expect that there will be limits on the type of guns that can be owned and the number of rounds that can be fired from them without reloading.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The school killer wasn't a criminal. He was living with an honest average law abiding citizen who was a gun owner. So yes I would prefer they be kept away from law abiding citizens. They pose more danger to honest living people than drug lords.
Your Newtown shooter was nuts.
Law abiding people with guns pose more danger than drug lords, perhaps. What about gang members, muggers, etc., though?
Got any stats?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Thanks Locutus. But apparently you simply don't understand firearms. Most nations that allow gun ownership restrict magazine size (Canada is one of these) usually to five round clips. The US allows 30 round clips, which means that a shooter could theoretically target 30 individuals before having to reload. In reducing the carnage in the US limiting magazine size is a logical first step.

Not so. In Massachusetts we cannot have assault weapons... yet we had a mass shooting regardless in Wakefield MA.

Weapons used... AK-47, shotgun, .32 pistol.

The ban did not help.

Your Newtown shooter was nuts.
Law abiding people with guns pose more danger than drug lords, perhaps. What about gang members, muggers, etc., though?
Got any stats?

Gangbangers will keep their guns. They spread out their murders over a period of time so their in good shape.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If the murder of 20 school children and seven teachers doesn't make your knee jerk then there is probably something wrong with you.
My reaction was sadness and anger. I won't allow my reaction to govern my ability to reason, though.
The sad thing is that is seems to take a horrific event like this to illustrate the illness that is a part of American gun culture.
Yeah, a kid goes whacko and grabs whatever is handy. And that's all the fault of the "gun-culture".

You've just made my point. So far as the law is concerned there is nothing wrong with people like the shooter or his mother having access to firearms that are almost military grade.
BS So far as the law is concerned, the kid shouldn't have a gun. That is why they have gun laws.
And no, I don't expect an outright ban of guns in the US - but I do expect that there will be limits on the type of guns that can be owned and the number of rounds that can be fired from them without reloading.
That is sensible.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Actually It might not, last year, a neighbour's garage was broken into...when he asked me if I had lost anything, and my garage is not even locked, I told him that it is well known in the neighbourhood that I have firearms and that I target shoot.
So that if the government ever seized all guns, I'm sure I would not be the the only now legal owner to become an illegal one.
Just a suggestion, I made to other members of my club, at a target practice a few years ago......
Now is the time to buy an illegal weapon, before the price goes up too much, and while they would not need a warrant to search a registered gun owner's house for firearms, they need one to search a safety deposit box....nuff said.