BREAKING: WABC: One dead in school shooting in Newtown, CT

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Let's poison the atmosphere a little more. After all, they are our moral and intellectually superiors ya know.

MSNBC Guest: If CT Mass Shooter Was Not White, Public Debate Would Be ‘Much Uglier’

David Sirota, a columnist for Salon.com, appeared on Up with Chris Hayes on Sunday for a discussion about the possible policy recommendations that could be adopted in the wake of the mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school which may prevent future shootings. When the question of profiling came up, Sirota insisted that the perpetrators of these kinds of crimes are most often white men – the only group in America that is “not allowed to be profiled.” Sirota said, if the shooter was any race other than white, the debate over policy measures to prevent these types of events in the future would have been “uglier.”

more and video

MSNBC Guest: If CT Mass Shooter Was Not White, Public Debate Would Be ‘Much Uglier’ | Mediaite

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Some points......

First of all, I have never liked the lack of training in the USA for licensed concealed carry individuals........the requirements should be tougher, and include qualifications yearly or every two years, at the shooter's expense.

Secondly, that said, I did the math on figures offered by Josh Sugarmann in opposition to CCW. It turned out that the murder rate among CCW holders was 0.6 per 100,000.....about one-seventh that of the US population at large, and one-third the Canadian murder rate.About the same as the rate among Canadian holders of a simple Firearms License (about 0.8 per 100,000)

Josh Sugarmann: Keeping Track of Killings by Concealed Handgun Permit Holders--85 Dead So Far
7 million CCW holders. I discounted the 10 suicides that Sugarmann included.

Thirdly.....do you have some link showing the NRA fighting for unrestricted access to fully automatic weapons??? I've never heard of such a thing.

Fourth, and central to my argument......with 270 million guns in the USA, the Genie is out of the bottle. Control is essentially impossible. Therefore those people who had guns at their homes should be allowed to, with proper checks and training, carry them.

The article is a bit long so here is a direct quote from it.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The NRA promises that it "will take all necessary steps to educate the public on the sporting uses of automatic firearms"[115] and explains that "The Second Amendment is not limited by its language to the type of arms that the people have the right to own."[116] The organization supports "the right of any law abiding individuals to own any firearms, including automatic firearms."[/FONT][/FONT]

VPC - Studies Assault Weapons & Accesories

I am afraid that I do not agree with your "genie out of the bottle" argument. Using that logic any law can remain if effect in perpetuity no matter how bad it is provided enough people support it. Carrying it to its logical conclusion if such reasoning had been followed in the past we would still have slavery, wife beating would be allowed, and witches would still be burned.

What is done can always be undone and it starts with the passage of a single law limiting the use of firearms to those who have proper training in them.

I do not accept any of your "statistics" attempting to justify the possession of firearms - they always fail in the face of overwhelming evidence that the USA has a higher rate of gun crime than any other supposedly modern nation. And as I stated in my previous post, gun ownership in the US has led to a never-ending escalation of firearm ownership in spite of solid evidence that gun ownership does little or nothing to deter crime.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The article is a bit long so here is a direct quote from it.

The NRA promises that it "will take all necessary steps to educate the public on the sporting uses of automatic firearms"[115] and explains that "The Second Amendment is not limited by its language to the type of arms that the people have the right to own."[116] The organization supports "the right of any law abiding individuals to own any firearms, including automatic firearms."

VPC - Studies Assault Weapons & Accesories

I am afraid that I do not agree with your "genie out of the bottle" argument. Using that logic any law can remain if effect in perpetuity no matter how bad it is provided enough people support it. Carrying it to its logical conclusion if such reasoning had been followed in the past we would still have slavery, wife beating would be allowed, and witches would still be burned.

What is done can always be undone and it starts with the passage of a single law limiting the use of firearms to those who have proper training in them.

I do not accept any of your "statistics" attempting to justify the possession of firearms - they always fail in the face of overwhelming evidence that the USA has a higher rate of gun crime than any other supposedly modern nation. And as I stated in my previous post, gun ownership in the US has led to a never-ending escalation of firearm ownership in spite of solid evidence that gun ownership does little or nothing to deter crime.

Thanks.

Interesting article, although I must say I have never seen any indication that the NRA works very hard to overturn the ban on further sales of automatic weapons, which btw, have been strictly controlled since 1934.

Some points:

Connecticut has strict gun laws requiring licensing and registration. It didn't help.

The membership of HCI is 180,000 members, of the NCBH 20,000. The membership of the NRA is 4 million. That kinda puts things in perspective.

There is absolutely no difference between "sporting" semi-autos and military ones except for their appearance. None.

And yeah, the genie is out of the bottle. Americans are NOT surrendering their 270 million guns.

Coddfish

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Ontario
Like everyone else, I am just as shocked and saddened by this event in the United States. While I do believe that this is another issue on the never-ending debate on gun control, I also believe that this is a very big issue on mental health.

As it has been stated, the 20 year old perpetrator was known by peers to have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of Autism that is classified under a group of developmental disorders called the Autism Spectrum. I find it absolutely sad to know of this in the fact that this event has put a black mark on the disorder, where there does not need to be one.

Because of that fact, I had made a note of this on another site to try to get some message across.

As a fellow Aspie, I feel that I should remind everyone of who we are as people with Asperger's Syndrome, in amidst of the tragedy in CT.

Sure, we are not the greatest socially and yes we are a little awkward around others, but if you actually got to know just a handful of us such as myself, you would know that we are creative, intelligent and very loyal towards ourselves, others and our loved ones, as we do have the ability to care about people.

Please do not generalize us to the 20 year old in CT. Not all people with AS or Autism are the same which, in my opinion, is actually one of the best things about the Autism Spectrum. It just means that we have multiple ways to amaze, delight and attract many different people, acquaintances and friends as we go down our path of life.

RIP to all of the victims in the CT shooting. What a complete tragedy.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Like everyone else, I am just as shocked and saddened by this event in the United States. While I do believe that this is another issue on the never-ending debate on gun control, I also believe that this is a very big issue on mental health.

As it has been stated, the 20 year old perpetrator was known by peers to have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of Autism that is classified under a group of developmental disorders called the Autism Spectrum. I find it absolutely sad to know of this in the fact that this event has put a black mark on the disorder, where there does not need to be one.

Because of that fact, I had made a note of this on another site to try to get some message across.

As a fellow Aspie, I feel that I should remind everyone of who we are as people with Asperger's Syndrome, in amidst of the tragedy in CT.

Sure, we are not the greatest socially and yes we are a little awkward around others, but if you actually got to know just a handful of us such as myself, you would know that we are creative, intelligent and very loyal towards ourselves, others and our loved ones, as we do have the ability to care about people.

Please do not generalize us to the 20 year old in CT. Not all people with AS or Autism are the same which, in my opinion, is actually one of the best things about the Autism Spectrum. It just means that we have multiple ways to amaze, delight and attract many different people, acquaintances and friends as we go down our path of life.

RIP to all of the victims in the CT shooting. What a complete tragedy.

I cannot believe anyone with a working brain cell could possibly draw a direct correlation between Autism and/or Aspergers and the excessive homicidal violence we all witnessed on Friday. There is no correlation...except for possibly one. Stereotyping and the social isolation that comes from it; that kind of thing can twist and bend a young person's perspective until bitterness is all that is left. Not always of course, but sometimes.

But I don't want to speculate as to his interior motivations, we simply don't know enough yet as to his state of mind and possibly never will.

I applaud you for speaking up and perhaps you will encourage others to do so. I think you have a voice for this Coddfish, you're articulate and thoughtful with your prose. If enough people do speak up and the true (er) face of Autism and Aspergers is known, perhaps much of the social isolation which can cause other problems may someday be a thing of the past.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You still need a license to photograph during hunting season.
In Ontario, where EAO lives, you need a valid, up to date outdoors card to be on a game trail, lay in wait, stalk or otherwise track animals for the purposes of taking pictures, all year round.

For the past 4 years they have been handing out warnings, that is coming to an end.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I agree that AS is not necessarily a dangerous condition. It was one of several factors.

However based on what I read about this tragedy, I'd say this person's version of AS, combined with social isolation, personal problems and easy access to firearms led to his violent rampage.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
In Ontario, where EAO lives, you need a valid, up to date outdoors card to be on a game trail, lay in wait, stalk or otherwise track animals for the purposes of taking pictures, all year round.

For the past 4 years they have been handing out warnings, that is coming to an end.
That sounds like BS. Please post a link...

Having easy access to firearms does not lead to violent rampages.
I agree.

This person's version of AS did not lead to his violent rampage.

This person's social isolation did not lead to his violent rampage.

This person's personal problems did not lead to his violent rampage.

This person's easy access to firearms did not lead to his violent rampage.

However the combination of
1) this person's version of AS
2) social isolation
3) personal problems
and
4) easy access to firearms
were all factors leading to this person's violent rampage.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That sounds like BS.
No, that's what you post.

Please post a link...
Have you ever navigated the OMNR's webpage?

I have, go find it yourself, it isn't my job to teach you, I just point out the nonsense you post.

You could PM me where you like to go stalk pictures, I'll alert the local CO and you can find out first hand.

Or you could come out to my little neck of the woods, drop by #3 district every other Wednesday and sit down with CO Medd and ask him yourself.

Or call the York Region Firearms Academy and ask an instructor.

Two things I know better than how to spot a Jew hater, those are hunting and hunting laws.

2) social isolation
3) personal problems
and
Ummm...

Obviously you don't.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Question 26:
I am 20 years old and from a family of non-hunters, but I enjoy hunting of all kinds. I don't have many other people to go out deer hunting with, and since it is dangerous to go alone my dad often comes with me for company. He doesn't have a hunting license, but he enjoys being with me, and dresses in orange just to be safe. We were told that is illegal for him to do this and he can be charged with illegal hunting even if isn't carrying a gun? How can this be? Aren't crown lands open for everyone to use, not just hunters during hunting season? How can he be charged for simply walking around in the bush with me?
Asked on November 22/99
Answer from the MNR:
This practice is absolutely legal if the non-hunter does not actively participate in the hunt. Let me give you a couple of scenarios to explain this:
a) in our hunt camp we have a member who is a non-hunter. On occasion, he goes out with one of the 'doggers', walking alongside him and talking photographs. This is perfectly legal as he is not an integral part of the chase. Equally legitimately, he sometimes sits on a watch with another hunter (only one gun) and takes photos, visits, etc.
b) in the same scenario, if the non-hunter decided that he wanted to walk by himself in the same general area and thus function as an additional 'dogger', then that would mean he is now meeting the definition of "hunt" and would need a licence.
Clearly, anyone can simply walk around on crown (or private, with permission) land but once there is any indication that they are actively involved in 'chasing, pursuing, in search of,…" then they are liable to the requirement for a hunting licence and may be charged if they do not have one - whether or not they have a firearm!

I am not participating in a hunt. Therefore I do not need a hunting license.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Check out question and answer 26 near the bottom of the page
Ask the CO - Q&A
Bingo...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Clearly, anyone can simply walk around on crown (or private, with permission) land but once there is any indication that they are actively involved in 'chasing, pursuing, in search of,…" then they are liable to the requirement for a hunting licence and may be charged if they do not have one - whether or not they have a firearm! [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
Like I said.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
That sounds like BS. Please post a link...

I agree.

This person's version of AS did not lead to his violent rampage.

This person's social isolation did not lead to his violent rampage.

This person's personal problems did not lead to his violent rampage.

This person's easy access to firearms did not lead to his violent rampage.

2) social isolation
3) personal problems
and
What about his human rights. Unless you can get into the kid's head, not you, I, this Forum or anyone else will ever know what set him off. Were computer games some sort of reality to him? It was stupid to have the temptation about - but it would be just as stupid to let the kid know you don't trust him.

Where's the line?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I am not participating in a hunt. Therefore I do not need a hunting license.
Clearly, anyone can simply walk around on crown (or private, with permission) land but once there is any indication that they are actively involved in 'chasing, pursuing, in search of,…" then they are liable to the requirement for a hunting licence and may be charged if they do not have one - whether or not they have a firearm!

The word hunt is not in there, other than the fact that it says you need a hunting license.

Stop breaking the law.