Alberta urged to prove oilsands recommendations were followed

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Daily durp report. The Alberta Gov't still hasn't proven it's followed through with the recommendations.

Hundreds of thousands of square Km's of pristine land, still in jeopardy.

Nothing 'LOL' about that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Petros
Crude in that part of the country is very low in sulphur. This includes bitumen from the oil sands.
Upgrading is NOT a desulphuraization process.
Just where are you getting this malarkey anyways??? Some of this bitumen is sent to Regina for refining, is the Regina refinery built to sour spec??? NO, it isn't!!!

Separating sulphur from crude is a well established technology in areas where the crude is sour, like in the Fox Creek area of AB.

Better learn to get your facts straight before you go mouthing off on something you know nothing about..

Uh Hum- Please read

http://en.wikipedia.or

Now Ah think that you all went to heavy on that thar petros fella- Ya know- Ya know what ya gotta do now doncha

Upgrader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asphaltene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asphaltenes consist primarily of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, and sulfur, as well as trace amounts of vanadium and nickel. The C:H ratio is approximately 1:1.2, depending on the asphaltene source. Asphaltenes are defined operationally as the n-heptane (C7H16)-insoluble, toluene (C6H5CH3)-soluble component of a carbonaceous material such as crude oil, bitumen, or coal. Asphaltenes have been shown to have a distribution of molecular masses in the range of 400 u to 1500 u, with an average being around 750 u.[citation needed]

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Is it the drilling that is bad for the environment or the product?

As you are well aware I don't buy into the CO2 hooey BUT I want to be clear that I fully support clean air, water and soil.

There is a by-product of fossil fuels which we rarely hear mentioned which is truly something I'm concerned about and that is sulfur.

Sulfur is what seperates sweet crude (low sulfur content) heavy crude and oil sands bitumen (high sulfur content)

What is being done about sulfur content? Plenty but we just don't hear about it enough thanks to the overzealous marketing of CO2 as the biggest environmental culprit.

The current investment into desulfurization R&D is heavy. Upgrading which is a desulfurization process turns heavy crude and bitumen into a high grade low sulfur product.

Upgrading tech is making leaps and bounds to achieve a product that is of remarkably good quality.

Are the oil companies and Fed researchers doing it soley for environment purposes? To be honest the answer is yes and no. The sulfur extracted during upgrading is a very very valuable asset and is sold to offset the high cost of upgrading.

If enviro groups wanted to make a real impact they'd put sulfur first and foremost because the impacts of sulfur reduction are immediate and benefit all of us on this goofy planet today

Sulfur affects all of us in the here and now not through hypotheticals and potentials like CO2.

The sulfur issue is real.

A final note to the CO2 bandwagoneers who think we still live ni the 70s......SMARTEN THE **** UP!

Likewise I am in support of clean air and water but not a total shutdown of all industry which is what many eco terrorists demand. Actually I doubt any of them realize how much they depend on the industries they are trying to destroy or how quickly their cities would collapse into chaos without a daily chain of trucks bringing them their every little want.
Not sure where all the sulfur goes but there is a constant flow onto bulk carriers in Vancouver. I know that pulp mills and steel mills use a portion of it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Likewise I am in support of clean air and water but not a total shutdown of all industry which is what many eco terrorists demand. Actually I doubt any of them realize how much they depend on the industries they are trying to destroy or how quickly their cities would collapse into chaos without a daily chain of trucks bringing them their every little want.
Not sure where all the sulfur goes but there is a constant flow onto bulk carriers in Vancouver. I know that pulp mills and steel mills use a portion of it.

Problem is the Enbridge fiasco provides more support for them. They dug their own grave on that one.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Farmers used a lot of it,our coseka plant just shut down,the last industry in our town,they shut down the whole field and hazco will come demo the plant.Sad to see,this was one of the sourest fields in Canada,over 90%.They made lots of sulpher and solidified it untill the price or demand went up and then melted it down and shipped it.
Anyone coming into Alberta on highway 3 from B.C.would see this plant a few miles into Alberta.They are owned by Devon now.

You mean you've ruined it all?

You must be proud... :roll:

No, that's what you do.
Ahhhh,like Tonn. and the winter wheat,you cant answer.
I think all the strip mines in the world could fit into a hundred thousand square miles.
So where is this pristine wilderness you talk of?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Is that a guess?
I did 22 years in the strip mines so it's an educated guess,I bet they would fit in 500 square miles now i think of it.
They work a small area for many years,not like logging that will destroy a whole eco system with clear cutting doing way more damage,but hey! lets focus on the oilsands and Alberta right?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I did 22 years in the strip mines so it's an educated guess,I bet they would fit in 500 square miles now i think of it.

Perhaps some research on that. Also the environmental effects would be pertinent-

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I had two.... Velcro and Kaos. Both took off after pussy. Ungrateful buggers.....

Just couldn't resist this eh?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think all the strip mines in the world could fit into 5000 square miles and have lots of room to spare.

Looks like some got "powned" again with the lack of any backup to their wild claim.

Looks like someone doesn't know much about the world.

In the US, between 1930 and 2000, coal mining altered about 2.4 million hectares [5.9 million acres] of natural landscape, most of it originally forest.
In China, coal mining has impacted an estimated 3.2 million hectares

So that's 12,300 square miles in China alone, and another 9,200 in the US just from coal mining.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
slagged??? Awww, poor Goob, go se mommy, mommy maybe make it better for you!!

You must get slapped around a lot. And as usual nothing has changed, you have no idea of what you are talking.

Oh yes - After you slagged Petros, as usual you were incorrect so I posted a link to educate you, probably a losing cause. Though I do enjoy about that is taking you to school.

In the US, between 1930 and 2000, coal mining altered about 2.4 million hectares [5.9 million acres] of natural landscape, most of it originally forest.

So that's 12,300 square miles in China alone, and another 9,200 in the US just from coal mining.
Thanks for the info.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

I believe I said "currently".

Current operating strip mines,got that?

Maybe you know where these hundreds of thousands of sq. miles in Alberta that are in jeopardy are?bear doesn't seem to know even though he made the claim.
that would be most of alberta.
It is 661,848 square kilometers (255,541 square miles).

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Nope, you didn't.

Nope, that's not what you said.

Got that?

bear doesn't seem to know even though he made the claim..
Oh I know, and so do most intelligent people, which is why you're the only one asking where it is, lol.

I'd say you just got "powned", but only 13yo kids say that, lol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Maybe you know where these hundreds of thousands of acres in Alberta that are in jeopardy are?bear doesn't seem to know even though he made the claim..

Your post is misleading- It could apply to the mines you worked on- the mines you observed- But I like TP took it as a world total. Perhaps some clarity next time then you would not have to insult TP for taking what you posted as I and others did.

Your post is below.

They work a small area for many years,not like logging that will destroy a whole eco system with clear cutting doing way more damage,but hey! lets focus on the oilsands and Alberta right?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Your post is misleading- It could apply to the mines you worked on- the mines you observed- But I like TP took it as a world total. Perhaps some clarity next time then you would not have to insult TP for taking what you posted as I and others did.

Your post is below.

Ya,I worked in many mines all over Canada,so it is an EDUCATED guess.Still your picking at nothing,the fact is that bear claims there is hundreds of thousands of kilometers of threatened land here,so maybe answer that snafu before you try a character assasination against me.
Here's his post.

Bear boasts
Hundreds of thousands of square Km's of pristine land, still in jeopardy.

Nothing 'LOL' about that.

So wheres all this land? Simple question,should be easy to answer as that would be most of Alberta.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ya,I worked in many mines all over Canada,so it is an EDUCATED guess.Still your picking at nothing,the fact is that bear claims there is hundreds of kilometers of threatened land here,so maybe answer that snafu before you try a character assanination against me.
Here's his post.

Bear boasts

So wheres all this land? Simple question,should be easy to answer as that would be most of Alberta.

No- TP hung your statement out to dry as wrong- I had asked for a link- TP did the work- If you post such a claim then back it up. Never mind Bear as he had nothing to do with your post.

So fess up and thank TP for providing accurate info. Nothing wrong with that.