Big Explosion in Oslo

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This thread is about a horrible incident in Norway that had nothing to do with Muslims or Islam. If you guys want to bash Muslims, start another thread. Have some respect for the victims of this tragedy.

Ya, I'll get right on that, as soon as I see you apologize for all the disrespect you've levied in just about any thread on Christianity.

winespius

Nominee Member
Jul 20, 2011
Once again proving you don't have a clue....I have seen many interviews with Wilders and he is an articulate and very clear thinking individual...and in a real free country he is allowed to air his viewpoints...he was charged as Holland had goofy hate laws like Canada, but it is a free country with a strong rule of law so he was acquited.
He cares about his country and is making suggestions that he thinks will improve it.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
He's Dutch, his country is the Netherlands, and there has been a bit of a problem since the borders were opened to the South Moluccans. Some people in the Netherlands think they need to do more to preserve their culture. Holland is a province in the Netherlands ... it's like referring to Canada as Ontario.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
No, I can't blame them.

Anyone that has been to Amsterdam in the last many years knows that it's not a Dutch city anymore. My 80 year old uncle has lived in Amsterdam since he was in his 20s and it's time for him to move because the stairs to his flat are steep and narrow. There are gov't housing lists for people that are looking for a new accommodation but he refuses to accept anything that does come available because he will be surrounded by people that are not Dutch. He wants his familiar culture and doesn't want to be surrounded by people from all over Europe and the Middle East. Sometimes there's something to be said for a country that tries to put a stop to continued change and political correctness. We've told him to leave Amsterdam so he can live more comfortably in his own culture, but he doesn't want to leave the place that has been his home for 60 years. In some ways, it's an invasion from within.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, I can't blame them.

Anyone that has been to Amsterdam in the last many years knows that it's not a Dutch city anymore. My 80 year old uncle has lived in Amsterdam since he was in his 20s and it's time for him to move because the stairs to his flat are steep and narrow. There are gov't housing lists for people that are looking for a new accommodation but he refuses to accept anything that does come available because he will be surrounded by people that are not Dutch. He wants his familiar culture and doesn't want to be surrounded by people from all over Europe and the Middle East. Sometimes there's something to be said for a country that tries to put a stop to continued change and political correctness. We've told him to leave Amsterdam so he can live more comfortably in his own culture, but he doesn't want to leave the place that has been his home for 60 years. In some ways, it's an invasion from within.
Great post.

winespius

Nominee Member
Jul 20, 2011
Holland and the Netherlands is interchangeable...same country... and I have been there many times, and in fact would take the train from Paris on weekends just to get some good food...

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Interchangeable for people that are not Dutch ... but Holland is still only one province in the Netherlands. That said ... because so many people made the mistake for so long, and never bothered to figure it out, the Dutch don't seem to care if the name of one province is used to describe the country by other people. As Canadians, if people in the US repeatedly referred to Canada as Saskatchewan, eventually we would give up and say sure ... we're Canadians from Saskatchewan that live in BC. The Dutch are pretty easy going when it comes to the failings of others.

winespius

Nominee Member
Jul 20, 2011
Yes of course..same thing with the UK...

I you've ever been there you would find the term province funny from a Canadian perspective....our provinces are country sized while you can drive across Holland in about 2 1/2hrs...

AbtFet

Time Out
Jul 23, 2011
No, I can't blame them.

They're a by-product of economic growth. Immigrants come for a better life, a better standard of living that their home country simply could not offer. You want to deny them this right so your xenophobic grandfather can feel comfortable ?
Personally I've had no problems living in a multicultural country and rather enjoy it. To me it seems boring and mundane the idea of being only around people who think like you, look like you, etc... and deprives yourself of really learning about the world we live in.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
They're a by-product of economic growth. Immigrants come for a better life, a better standard of living that their home country simply could not offer. You want to deny them this right so your xenophobic grandfather can feel comfortable ?
Personally I've had no problems living in a multicultural country and rather enjoy it. To me it seems boring and mundane the idea of being only around people who think like you, look like you, etc... and deprives yourself of really learning about the world we live in.

I guess there are two things that people can do ... they can try to make their own country more to their liking or they can go elsewhere. What I disagree with is people transplanting the life from their other country into a new country and expecting everyone around them to adapt and accommodate. Either people like the country they belong to and stay, or they don't and they leave ... but what's with leaving but trying to keep everything the same as the country they didn't like?

I don't have a xenophobic grandfather. They both passed away a long time ago.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Geert Wilders has pretty extreme views towards Muslims. He says there is "no such thing as a moderate Muslim". He'd like to outlaw the Qur'an and proposes women who wear the Hijab should pay a tax(basically destroy any religious freedom for Muslims). He wants Muslims OUT of Denmark and proposes they pay them to leave the country... So when he says "I don't hate Muslims, I hate ISLAM" it's pretty hard to take him seriously.
His extreme right-wing views on Muslims are akin to Hitler's rhetoric about the Jews.
His speeches where he spews these kind of beliefs are undoubtedly going to incite hatred amongst the ignorant.

No, working in the oil industry doesn't make one an expert on Islam or Muslims.

Ahhhh....Geert Wilders is DUTCH.

He has NEVER advocated violence.

His ideals are in no way akin to the Nazi propaganda that refered to the Jewish PEOPLE as vermin..........while Wilders has a problem with a religious philosophy........

He does not set out to incite hatred.

I suggest you educate yourself.

I don't give a crap, as long as they do not expect to turn our schools into mosques, our law into sharia, our women into chattels, our freedom into dust, and our rights to free speech into history.

Unfortunately, far too many want to do EXACTLY that.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't give a crap, as long as they do not expect to turn our schools into mosques, our law into sharia, our women into chattels, our freedom into dust, and our rights to free speech into history.

Unfortunately, far too many want to do EXACTLY that.

More baseless hyperbole from one of our resident right wing bigots.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
yeah, they'll be poring over all his financial activity over the past year to see who else may have egged him on.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Once again proving you don't have a clue....I have seen many interviews with Wilders and he is an articulate and very clear thinking individual...and in a real free country he is allowed to air his viewpoints...he was charged as Holland had goofy hate laws like Canada, but it is a free country with a strong rule of law so he was acquited.
He cares about his country and is making suggestions that he thinks will improve it.

Speaking of having no clue, do you know that he's a complete hypocrite on things that really matter, things like the freedom to air a viewpoint or even believe something? He's a fruit loop. A regressive freedom hating fruit loop, unless of course you agree with him, then he's just fine with your freedoms.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
But to truly get a grasp on the situation and form a legitimate opinion you need to understand foreign policy and the atrocities committed against Muslims to understand why they would want to attack us in the first place.
So what you're saying is, they're justified in attacking us, but we aren't justified in believing that they want to attack us?

They're a by-product of economic growth. Immigrants come for a better life, a better standard of living that their home country simply could not offer. You want to deny them this right...
Can you point out section of the Charter, the US Constitution, or the Dutch Bill of Rights. Where this right is enshrined?
You live in a pretty sheltered, non multicultural area, don't you?

Speaking of having no clue, do you know that he's a complete hypocrite on things that really matter, things like the freedom to air a viewpoint or even believe something? He's a fruit loop. A regressive freedom hating fruit loop, unless of course you agree with him, then he's just fine with your freedoms.
I hate killing Ton. But I do kill.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Does he use petty little insults like 'fruit-loop'? Just curious this is the first post I've read on the whole thread. Why wasn't the camp supplied with a person(s) who had access to some firearms? 90 minutes before the police could cover 200 meters of water? That's as bad as the response time on 9/11.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Does he use petty little insults like 'fruit-loop'? Just curious this is the first post I've read on the whole thread. Why wasn't the camp supplied with a person(s) who had access to some firearms? 90 minutes before the police could cover 200 meters of water? That's as bad as the response time on 9/11.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I don't give a crap, as long as they do not expect to turn our schools into mosques
Why leave out Churches and Synagogues? The RCC schools had two different standards, one for the kids of those already who were longstanding members and the others who were 'outsiders' and the treatment was not short of torture and murder.