TheGuy's repeating theme Threads, that're all on the same tangent, merged here.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Re: What is FAITH?

So your one of those people that assume that the dictionay is the be all and and all of TRUTH..
It's not an assumption, it is the accepted definition of the word, globally.

If that doesn't fit into your version of reality, the issue is yours, not mine. And of course proves my point, that your OP was presumptuous.

TheGuy

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2011

It is an accepted assumption of the meaning of the word, and further it is in agreement with what I said in the first place..

When you speak you generally intend to express a specific idea, I can interpret what you intended to say correctly or I might misunderstand what you intended to express..

The word FAITH in particular has many possible meanings..

TheGuy

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2011

Please feel free to consult the author. Perhaps Funk and Wagnall is in need of your services.

When you speak you generally intend to express a specific idea, I can interpret what you intended to say correctly or I might misunderstand what you intended to express..

Your narrow mind view of reality, is irrelevant..

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

It is an accepted assumption of the meaning of the word, and further it is in agreement with what I said in the first place..
It isn't an assumption, no matter how much you want it to be.

You most likely misunderstand a lot. I on the other hand, don't.

Correct. And it's the first time in this thread. Good work.
Why do you project your failings?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Irrelevant? I still haven't decided if you're atheist attacking religion or religious attacking atheism. Talk about your irrelevance, eh?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Re: I think it make a lot of sense that people would BASH Christians.

On what grounds do the law and legislation presume to impose an OPINION on individuals?
They impose rules, by the virtue of the majority. Tempered by common law, commonsense, and a constitution, to stop mob rule.

You can use all the baffle gab you like, you're cheese is still on the floor.

TheGuy

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2011

You attempt to look at things from another perspective, and use FACTS from that point of view, in order to suggest that my point of view is some how a fallacy, or is FALSE..

Some FACTS are TRUE and cannot even be challanged in this way..

There is TRUTH there is no question..

There are different perspectives

There is perspective..

Some dissagee by this means, and it is not a valid way to counter an argument...

They assume that simply because it is NOT TRUE from some other perspective that it is not true AT ALL..

Example

one might say 1+1 = 2

another could say 1+1=11

simply because in some other perspective one could say

1 + 1 =11 is TRUE

does NOT mean that

1+1 = 2 is FALSE...

I do not simply assume that what one means by FAITH, is what some other person assumes because it states some irrelevant opinion in the dictionary..

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Ya you've said that.

Again, the first thing in this thread you've gotten right.

You attempt to look at things from another perspective, and use FACTS from that point of view, in order to suggest that my point of view is some how a fallacy, or is FALSE..
No, we look at fact, and use it to show how off the wall you are.

Some FACTS are TRUE and cannot even be challanged in this way..
Like the definition of faith.
There is TRUTH there is no question..
And the definition of faith, is the truth.

There are different perspectives
True, but you aren't talking about perspectives, you are saying that globally accepted fact, is not true.

There is perspective..
Then there's living in an alternate reality.

Some dissagee by this means, and it is not a valid way to counter an argument...
Correct. For the second time. So why do you do it?

1+1 = 2 is FALSE...
Not according to your logic.

I do not simply assume that what one means by FAITH, is what some other person assumes because it states some irrelevant opinion in the dictionary..
And we come full circle, back to you dismissing reality. Awesome!

TheGuy

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2011

Words represent "ideas", "concepts", they are mearly titles for "concepts"

The concept of FAITH, is not merlely what is stated in a dictionary..

FAITH in a religious context is to simply ASSUME TO KNOW what is TRUE, when it is not reasonable or logical to assume it as TRUE at all...

Do you agree or not?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Words represent "ideas", "concepts", they are mearly titles for "concepts"
No, words have defined means. Over time they may evolve or change. But they are not concepts. They are defined words, with specific meanings.

Only morons have difficulty understanding that.

The concept of FAITH, is not merlely what is stated in a dictionary..
Not in your world.

TheGuy

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2011

No, words have defined means. Over time they may evolve or change. But they are not concepts. They are defined words, with specific meanings.

Only morons have difficulty understanding that.

Not in your world.

But they are not concepts, and thus you deny reality..

TheGuy

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2011
Re: I think it make a lot of sense that people would BASH Christians.

They impose rules, by the virtue of the majority. Tempered by common law, commonsense, and a constitution, to stop mob rule.

You can use all the baffle gab you like, you're cheese is still on the floor.

And is it the opinion of some that rules ought to be imposed by the virtue of the majority. Tempered by common law, commonsense, and a constitution, to stop mob rule?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

I have 100% faith in one thing. Gravity. When it comes to spirituality I don't have faith. I KNOW there is more because I've seen it.

TheGuy

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2011

Laugh it up, but the FACT that words represent concepts, is the FACT that you deny.. and thus will be your undoing...

I have 100% faith in one thing. Gravity. When it comes to spirituality I don't have faith. I KNOW there is more because I've seen it.

So your FAITH, your confidance is in the TRUTH that you observe.. (Gravity), but what you have observed spirtually, you have no faith?