Why do you like living in Edmonton?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Was it Mark Twain who said "people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be"?
Not sure but lesbian performance artist Laurie Anderson stated "Paradise is exactly like where you are right now only much much nicer".

Is Metrotown in Vancouver or is it in Burnaby?
It's Burnaby's downtown and pretty much the shopping Mecca for the Lower Mainland. Pricey shiny glass towers and you don't need to drive. He's happy he can walk to everything.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not sure but lesbian performance artist Laurie Anderson stated "Paradise is exactly like where you are right now only much much nicer".

It's Burnaby's downtown and pretty much the shopping Mecca for the Lower Mainland. Pricey shiny glass towers and you don't need to drive. He's happy he can walk to everything.

Yep, the older one gets the more he appreciates being able to walk to everything- as a matter of fact the older a guy gets the more he appreciates being able to walk to anything.:lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The older you get the cheaper you get too.

BTW your quote was Lincoln.

Yep, it's tough to demand $20 an hour when you are doddering. :lol:

Yep, Lincoln makes sense........................guess I'm doddering. :lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I haven't heard doddering since I was a kid after having to write out pages of the dictionary in detention.

They stopped making me do that after I learned and started to use the word priapism in class.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I haven't heard doddering since I was a kid after having to write out pages of the dictionary in detention.

They stopped making me do that after I learned and started to use the word priapism in class.

Is that worse than a case of lovers nuts?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You can do something about blue balls but I can't say about priapism. With some beer and a willing partner the combination could make for a rather intriguing evening.

I not sure whether or not Edmonton would matter in that instance.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Did you know that Edmonton has the largest park area/walking/hiking trails in North America?

My husband and I stayed at a hotel downtown on oh, about the 10th or 12th floor many years ago - we were being transferred to Calgary at the time and our furniture had been loaded and gone. Our room overlooked the river valley and, after all the years we have lived here, I didn't realize how absolutely beautiful that river valley is and what a jewel we have. We bought our house in Calgary and it was about 1-1/2 blocks from their river valley - absolutely no comparrison at all!! It was still a great place to walk the dog, but not nearly as nice as Edmonton. We lived in Calgary for 2 years and then moved back to Edmonton and consider it our home town, warts and all. Great place, great people with generous hearts. Wouldn't live anywhere else (admittedly don't like the real cold winters but hey, can't afford to live where I'd really want to and it ain't on the N. Am. continent lol.

JMO

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Did you know that Edmonton has the largest park area/walking/hiking trails in North America?

My husband and I stayed at a hotel downtown on oh, about the 10th or 12th floor many years ago - we were being transferred to Calgary at the time and our furniture had been loaded and gone. Our room overlooked the river valley and, after all the years we have lived here, I didn't realize how absolutely beautiful that river valley is and what a jewel we have. We bought our house in Calgary and it was about 1-1/2 blocks from their river valley - absolutely no comparrison at all!! It was still a great place to walk the dog, but not nearly as nice as Edmonton. We lived in Calgary for 2 years and then moved back to Edmonton and consider it our home town, warts and all. Great place, great people with generous hearts. Wouldn't live anywhere else (admittedly don't like the real cold winters but hey, can't afford to live where I'd really want to and it ain't on the N. Am. continent lol.

JMO

I hear you- we spent a few days in Edmonton last summer (Rainbow Campground near the little ski hill) and I walked the trail along White Mud Creek up to the North Saskatchewan and as you say we found people in Edmonton very friendly.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
My brother lived there for years and ended up moving to Prince George. He preferred Prince George, Go figure! After spending two weeks in Edmonton in the middle of winter, I can assure you, I would never go back.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm loving Edmonton. We have stuff packing our weekends full every single weekend, from checking out more local restaurants (not box restauarants), plays, concerts, house parties, clubs... there's tons to do, and loads of friendly people to go with. After only three years here, the city is getting 'small' for us as our circle of acquaintances keeps expanding. Going out to the bar now feels almost like I'm heading out in a small town. I can't walk down Whyte Ave. without bumping into friendly faces.