Protest in Iran

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
^ the link did not work but I did come across another article which says essentially the same thing about government crackdowns on that religion - however, I have not found anything which says those people are not allowed to leave since I do know B'hais here from Iran

Fr the most part, they've managed to escape.

I know many Baha'is and am well aware of the dire situation for them there. Also as far as they're concerned, the government worries about the Baha'i Faith not only in Iran but abroad too. It worries about Iranian citizens being exposed to the Baha'i faith either in Iran or abroad, a Faith which seems to be very attractive to Iranians (after all, it came into being only in 1844, and is now the most significant minority religion in Iran today, even surpassing the Christian and Jewish Faiths). This does not bode well for a country the government of wich considers Baha'is to be apostates (mainly owing to the Baha'i claim that their religion fulfils Islam just as the Christian Faith followed Judaism).

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Maybe its time Canadians starting protesting in the streets for a free and fair democracy.

I'd be out there in the streets for sure. I'd love to see a Canadian revolution (preferably a velvet one) in which we tossed out the monarchy and the unelected senate, limited the power of the PMO and came up with a real democratic constitution and bill of rights. However, our government's inadequacies do not justify the greater, equal or even lesser inadequacies of others. Pointing out the problems with Canadian democracy is irrelevant to the injustices of the Iranian theocracy.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
More protests and violence again today in Iran.
Clashes have broken out between supporters of the Iranian government and apparent members of the opposition at the funeral for a student killed in recent protests, state television has reported.

"Students and people participating in the funeral of martyr Sane'e Zhale in Tehran Fine Arts University are clashing with a few apparently from the sedition movement," the website of broadcaster Irib said on Wednesday.

Zhaleh was shot dead during an opposition rally in Tehran, the capital, on Monday, a killing the government blamed on anti-government protesters. But opposition groups say it was carried out by security forces....

...Nine security forces were injured, state television said, while between 150 and 1,500 people were detained, according to official media and human rights groups...
Iran funeral triggers new clashes - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Changing Iran will be difficult. Unlike Egypt where an overwhelming majority wanted change, Iran is more evenly divided. Its hard to tell how many Iranians support their theocratic system.

The real engine driving protests across the region is food insecurity/poverty and the gap between the rich and poor. Iran certainly has these problems but not to the same degree as Egypt:
Sanctions widen gap between Iranian poor and rich | Reuters

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Pointing out the problems with Canadian democracy is irrelevant to the injustices of the Iranian theocracy.
I would think the fact that we maintain Government approved 'reservations' sort of remove any high moral ground we might claim that we have over any Nation. The RCC schools was a legal issue not that many yeras back and just a few years ago a 20 years case about some treaty issues was just 'settled'. The preferred method of the Gov was to stall and delay and make the case as expensive as possible for the opposition while at the same time running up taxpayer costs (the Gov Lawyers etc) to the tune of $100M. That is the clear winner, the Lawyers.

If we can't solve our own social issues that hardly gives us the right to lecture how other Nations operate. Iran would seem to be better off for the people than it was when the US had a Dictator installed for 25 years, how many complaints did we run past the UN (or anybody) during those years, most likely a big fat zero.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Machjo;1381765 Just for the sake of argument said:
You obviously give no weight to the financial dictatorship that you do in fact live under. Nothing and no one is more tyrannical. Never for one second in your entire life have you not lived and played under that highest expression of tyranny.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like our dictatoship in some ways. I can legally rob my fellow countrymen blind for foreigners to the tune of $1300 a day and then be given kudos by the gov and nice juicy bonuses of cash and shares in what could have been used by my countrymen to bolster their pockets and lower their taxation and personal debt.

What a country!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Does anyone else think that the media is putting this much exposure on Iran to keep the cost of oil up?

I mean, hey Egypt solved their dilemma. Crap, we can't let gas prices go back down, so we need to supplement it with another story to keep our resources in danger!

Or is my tin-foil hat fizzling?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Does anyone else think that the media is putting this much exposure on Iran to keep the cost of oil up?

I mean, hey Egypt solved their dilemma. Crap, we can't let gas prices go back down, so we need to supplement it with another story to keep our resources in danger!

Or is my tin-foil hat fizzling?

Mental... the oil companies will always think of a way to hike the price of oil. Nothing burns me more to hear on the news...

"The price of oil shot up because there is a storm in the Gulf of Mexico."

Seriously? When it is sunny and calm in the Gulf of Mexico does the price go down? heck no.

They move quick to hike the price but let it sit up high for as long as they can.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I would think the fact that we maintain Government approved 'reservations' sort of remove any high moral ground we might claim that we have over any Nation. The RCC schools was a legal issue not that many yeras back and just a few years ago a 20 years case about some treaty issues was just 'settled'. The preferred method of the Gov was to stall and delay and make the case as expensive as possible for the opposition while at the same time running up taxpayer costs (the Gov Lawyers etc) to the tune of $100M. That is the clear winner, the Lawyers.

If we can't solve our own social issues that hardly gives us the right to lecture how other Nations operate. Iran would seem to be better off for the people than it was when the US had a Dictator installed for 25 years, how many complaints did we run past the UN (or anybody) during those years, most likely a big fat zero.

Sorry, I'm speaking for myself here, not the Canadian government. If you want to claim that I don't have the moral high ground, feel free, but seeing as you don't know anything about me, it might have a tough time. If you want to internalize the policies of other countries and thereby abrogate your own responsible to oppose injustice, that's fine for you but don't say I can't criticize other governments because someone else did something that I don't support.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
HOLY ****!

Iran admits it executed 66 people in January..........an Iranian Human Rights group puts the number at 121.

Iran has 75 million people.

The USA has over 300 million people, and executed 4 people in January........all after a fair trial for murder, and after all their appeals had been exhausted.

The vast majority of democracies DO NOT execute at all.

Are you really this obtuse????????

Most Iranian Jews have fled. Iran prevents Jews leaving, it will not allow more than one member of a Jewish family out of the country at any one time.

Why?

Because the Islamic Hadith says the following

Gee, the Iranians don't want to miss out on all the fun now, do they???????

lmao, American government doesn't treat their own people any better than the Iranian government. And let's not even get into how Americans have treated other countries throughout history.. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
lmao, American government doesn't treat their own people any better than the Iranian government. And let's not even get into how Americans have treated other countries throughout history.. :lol:

At least we all don't live in igloos.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sorry, I'm speaking for myself here, not the Canadian government. If you want to claim that I don't have the moral high ground, feel free, but seeing as you don't know anything about me, it might have a tough time. If you want to internalize the policies of other countries and thereby abrogate your own responsible to oppose injustice, that's fine for you but don't say I can't criticize other governments because someone else did something that I don't support.
It is the very fact that I don't know anything about you that means I also have no idea on what you mean by this term, "the problems with Canadian democracy". Generally speaking the protests over the existence of reservations is long over inside Canada, not everyone from outside would agree that we are as 'socially moral' as we claim to be.

We don't pay any attention to the 'outside' when it comes to 'baby seals' and when 10,000 get swept out to sea even the ones who are actively picketing still see it as dollars going over the horizon. Personally I think if you want to wear sealskin you should have to have it as a meal just once.

Another point could be if 'Canada' supports the US/Israel have openly said they actively support the political instability inside Iran by subversive means. As a Canadian I would certainly have objections to that sort of activity being waged in Canada yet many Canadians/Americans/ British/Israeli citizens feel we have the right/obligation to actively influence events in Iran or any other Nation.

Can we rightfully condemn a Nation on the way they treat women when their rights as people 100 years ago in Canada was not any better?

True story, in the late 70's when Afghanistan was making great strides in the human-rights dept it was the 'old guard' that suddenly got money/material supplies from the CIA that included throwing acid in women's faces as part of their 'campaign' against modernization. That pretty much eliminates me wanting to support the US in any of their 'foregn operations' as those tactics would still be approved in today's climate. Their profits for their corporations do not mean that much to me, ...... apparently and that just defines the right/wrong of it for myself.

That is true, many are homeless entirely, nothing to brag about.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Keep it up.

When you say stuff this idiotic, when you behave in such a blatantly obtuse manner, you completely discredit every post you have submitted on the site.

Good job!

When was the last dissident executed in the United States....just for being a dissident????

Hmmmmm????

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010