What's your opinion on United States Of America?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
For the most part, I like the States. No, they aren't perfect and yes, most Americans know almost nothing about Canada. But then as far as that goes, how many Canadians know what they should about their own country - let alone the country beside theirs?

Reminds me of a conversation a few years ago that my wife told me about, which she had with her secretary. For some reason, they were talking about premiers of the provinces. Her secretary told her that she knew of only one, Bob Rae.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A large percentage of Canadians wouldn't know the names of premiers in other provinces based on the fact that for most of us there is no need to know (anymore than you'd need to know the top five wanted criminals) . Off the top I doubt if I could come up with five premiers. :lol::lol::lol:.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I really believe that the USA has a lot of great things to offer man, but It is not the Best country in the world.

Canada in by far a much better place to live.

only in Canada can you have Health Care even if you're unemployed.

open spaces, work for all who choose to want to work.

No ridiculous Gun laws like so many US States have.

I would never wanna live in the USA where people are allowed to carry guns concealed or not.

Canada has everything the USA has, plus we don't spend money like it's a disease, spreading it around rampant.

We don't give homes to people who don't qualify, and we don't have millions of people in ridiculous credit problems because they LOVE CREDIT!..

Sure, if you wanna have the ability to buy anything you want and then complain to the Govt enough that they'll wipe out most of it because you're too stupid to realize that you HAVE to pay it back!! it's not free you know..

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Sure, if you wanna have the ability to buy anything you want and then complain to the Govt enough that they'll wipe out most of it because you're too stupid to realize that you HAVE to pay it back!! it's not free you know..

That indeed is a peculiarity of American people. They ceaselessly bleat about too much government intervention, demanding that government should get out of their lives. And what do they do when there is the first sign of any crises? Why, they run to the government, of course.

Whether it is to bail them out of the mortgage mess that private industry (financial sector) created, or whether it is the BP spill, their first demand is that government do something about it. Their complaint about BP disaster is that Obama isn’t doing enough. Whatever happened to the libertarian spirit? Did that evaporate in a flash at the first sign of a problem?

Which is understandable, they would want government to do something in crises such as mortgage meltdown or the BP disaster. But then why the mealy mouthed complaint about there being too much government in peoples’ lives?

sombraa110

Electoral Member
Feb 1, 2010
The U.S. offers better living conditions that any other country in the world. We have great programs that help poor people survive. like food stamps, TANF and other services. i think that is great because that shows off that the United States is a great country who cares about its people.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Things america is the Greatest country ever!

1.America provides an amazingly good life for the ordinary guy.:
I agree
2.America offers more opportunity and social mobility than any other country, including the countries of Europe
That may be stretching it.
3.Work and trade are respectable in America, which is not true elsewhere
The last phrase is bullsh*t.
4.America has achieved greater social equality than any other society
That is debatable.
5.People live longer, fuller lives in America
Probably as good as anywhere.
6.In America the destiny of the young is not given to them but created by them
???????????????
7.America has gone further than any other society in establishing equality of rights
Maybe, maybe not. Check out Sweden and Switzerland.,
8.America has found a solution to the problem of religious and ethnic conflict that continues to divide and terrorize much of the world
Possibly
America has the kindest, gentlest foreign policy of any great power in world history
Possibly
9.America, the freest nation on earth, is also the most virtuous nation on earth.
I'm skeptical of that.
10.America is just the Greatest Nation ever!
Nope

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I agree that the u.s. is a giving country when it comes to poverty across the
world, good for them.

I agree that they are a free society which do well to care for their citizens.

But, for anyone to say that they are the best at all things to do with caring
for their own people, have obviously not looked beyond their own border.

Too bad, that is blindness.

sombraa110

Electoral Member
Feb 1, 2010
The U.S. is a country that always have helped other countries in times of crisis and debastation, so think twice before you speak out!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The U.S. is a country that always have helped other countries in times of crisis and debastation, so think twice before you speak out!

I don’t think anybody doubts that US always has good intentions. Unfortunately, their actions are not always consistent with good intentions.

Their policies are often short sighted. Thus they supported the mujaheedin against Soviets, to help Afghanistan fight off the Communist aggression. Unfortunately they aided an enemy worse than Communism, mujaheedin morphed into the Taliban.

Or they helped Saddam as a counter weight against Iran. They regarded him as a friend, gave him all kind of help (there is the famous photograph of Rumsfeld shaking Saddam’s hand). In that, they aided and abetted a brutal, vicious dictator.

Good intentions are not enough one must look at the result of America’s actions.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The U.S. is a country that always have helped other countries in times of crisis and debastation,
Now that I can agree with, but it could help its own poor more than it does.

Americans are fine. America's administration needs a smack upside the head sometimes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now that I can agree with, but it could help its own poor more than it does.

Americans are fine. America's administration needs a smack upside the head sometimes.

I would amend that slightly to "help it's own poor help themselves" - a lot of poor people keep doing the same things in the same way. :smile:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I would amend that slightly to "help it's own poor help themselves" - a lot of poor people keep doing the same things in the same way. :smile:
Help is help whether it is helping people to help themselves or whatever.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Help is help whether it is helping people to help themselves or whatever.

I was just trying to differentiate between "giving a man a fish" and "teaching the man to fish"...............the first can be detrimental, the latter can be beneficial. :smile::smile: