Collateral Murder

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I actually don't believe someone needs expertise to say "US Marine Corps, don't make a recruitment ad wherein you pretend to be chess players on a board".

Well the ad is not meant to attract the simple minded. The potential Marines get it. They aren't trying to recruit guys like you.

They've always reached their quota, close to their quota and often over their quota. The ads work.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Hmmm... So what you're saying is, "The person claiming it is bad judgment for the Marine Corps to pretend to be playing games on a giant chess board is the simple minded one who the ads were not meant to target".

K, I can live with that.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's the van that bothers me, someone said earlier...I think wolf...that they blew it to pieces because they could have had an RPG in an open window ready to fire. I thought about that and wondered how the hell they would even hit the helicopter they didn't know was there? A van picking up wounded isn't exactly a target to me....

The one thing that may have made all the difference in the world for those kids would have been a white flag.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hmmm... So what you're saying is, "The person claiming it is bad judgment for the Marine Corps to pretend to be playing games on a giant chess board is the simple minded one who the ads were not meant to target".

K, I can live with that.
I bet a lot of things go over your head.

How is it you figured out how to use a proxy? Or did someone hold your hand through the process?

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

K, I can live with that.

Well the person who doesn't understand that the Marines aren't pretending to play chess can be considered simple minded. Anyone who takes the commercial in a literal sense and not as a metaphor has trouble focusing on the true intent of ads such as this.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Do you think when they kill the black queen they look directly into the camera and say ... "Semper fi, b*tch"?

Easy now, that's some levity for a serious discussion.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Just like the Raisin Bran commercials of old when the graphic of the smiling sunshine character comes to life, jumps from the box and pours two scoops of raisins into the box. I mean who would say...

"Oh yeah...like that would happen. I'm supposed to go out and buy Raisin Bran because a cartoon character came to life and poured raisins in the box."

... who would take that literally? :lol:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Just like the Raisin Bran commercials of old when the graphic of the smiling sunshine character comes to life, jumps from the box and pours two scoops of raisins into the box. I mean who would say...

"Oh yeah...like that would happen. I'm supposed to go out and buy Raisin Bran because a cartoon character came to life and poured raisins in the box."

... who would take that literally? :lol:

8O

You mean ... Tony the Tiger is just a gimmick?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Do you think when they kill the black queen they look directly into the camera and say ... "Semper fi, b*tch"?

Do I think what? Can you even phrase a question correctly?

They do not even do that. The Queen isn't even touched. But if they did it would have been cool.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I still want to meet, and shake the hand of, the guy who said, "Let's make this chess commercial. It'll be great."

Cause metaphor or not, it's still a corny ricidulous ad that never should've been made.

Last edited:

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
If you know military guys then I'm having dinner with the Pope.:lol:

I totally did not see this post before, but yeah, I know former military guys. And I can say that none of them describe it as a positive experience. In fact, it's helped me form some of my opinions on the subject. The gist I've always got was: it was probably a mistake to join; I didn't know what else to do with my life; other people should avoid it at all costs.

That directly leads me to my opinion earlier in this thread where I said people should avoid the US military at all costs.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I totally did not see this post before, but yeah, I know former military guys. And I can say that none of them describe it as a positive experience. In fact, it's helped me form some of my opinions on the subject. The gist I've always got was: it was probably a mistake to join; I didn't know what else to do with my life; other people should avoid it at all costs.

That directly leads me to my opinion earlier in this thread where I said people should avoid the US military at all costs.

Let me quote Avro...

If you know military guys I am having dinner with the pope. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The big thing about this and the big stink is that two Reuter press people got hosed down. That is why it is big news. They went out to get photos from the insurgent side and got caught in an Apache gunsight.

Again, these types of clips are all over youtube.