Collateral Murder

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Not as serious as the topic of this thread, but the following is a horrible action of the US military (specifically the Marine Corps) circa the 1980s.

Marines - Chess | Commercial

I believe that might very well be one of the worst things I've ever seen on television.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Really? How so and why?

It's the van that bothers me, someone said earlier...I think wolf...that they blew it to pieces because they could have had an RPG in an open window ready to fire. I thought about that and wondered how the hell they would even hit the helicopter they didn't know was there? A van picking up wounded isn't exactly a target to me.

Also you suggested the soldiers were eager to soot because of the heat of the moment....what heat? They were far away from these guys and in stealth....as about as much heat as playing halo.

To me something just does not seem right about it.

As far as the initial engagement I think they had justification and we aren't privy to any intel that comes with that video. I don't think the US military has some sort of blood lust like some goofballs here but they aren't perfect either like some others would suggest.

I will agree though, war is ugly and ****e happens....except this war is ****e from the start.

Reactions: Tonington

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Not as serious as the topic of this thread, but the following is a horrible action of the US military (specifically the Marine Corps) circa the 1980s.

Marines - Chess | Commercial

I believe that might very well be one of the worst things I've ever seen on television.

Are you really that off your rocker?

You're from the DC area. Go down to 8th and I Street and let them know how you feel instead of banging away. Tell them what's on your mind. Of course you may have to visit the Dentist after but at least you'll get it off your chest. :lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's the van that bothers me, someone said earlier...I think wolf...that they blew it to pieces because they could have had an RPG in an open window ready to fire. I thought about that and wondered how the hell they would even hit the helicopter they didn't know was there? A van picking up wounded isn't exactly a target to me.
I can understand your point of view. I will readily admit that even i find it distasteful and tragic. But I can also see it from their perspective. Perhaps it's because I have experience in such areas.

Also you suggested the soldiers were eager to soot because of the heat of the moment....what heat? They were far away from these guys and in stealth....as about as much heat as playing halo.
There had been action all day. Sitting in a helo, just above the roof tops, at any distance from these guys, is still as dangerous. This one group may not have been a direct threat to the helo's in question, but that does not negate the very real danger their vehicle faces in these types of theaters. See Somalia for examples of why.

To me something just does not seem right about it.
Again, I can see your perspective, and how you would come to it. I even agree to some extent that there are issues, even I have. I just can't finds mens rea.

As far as the initial engagement I think they had justification and we aren't privy to any intel that comes with that video. I don't think the US military has some sort of blood lust like some goofballs here but they aren't perfect either like some others would suggest.
I absolutel agree.

I will agree though, war is ugly and ****e happens....except this war is ****e from the start.
Agreed, across the board.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Are you really that off your rocker?

You're from the DC area. Go down to 8th and I Street and let them know how you feel instead of banging away. Tell them what's on your mind. Of course you may have to visit the Dentist after but at least you'll get it off your chest. :lol:

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Even the US military guys I know agree that those Marines commercials are a horrible idea. I mean, it's supposed to be a really serious life, and they don't play a giant chess game or fight fire monsters.

That's just stupid at a time when stupidity is really not needed.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I can understand your point of view. I will readily admit that even i find it distasteful and tragic. But I can also see it from their perspective. Perhaps it's because I have experience in such areas.

There had been action all day. Sitting in a helo, just above the roof tops, at any distance from these guys, is still as dangerous. This one group may not have been a direct threat to the helo's in question, but that does not negate the very real danger their vehicle faces in these types of theaters. See Somalia for examples of why.

Again, I can see your perspective, and how you would come to it. I even agree to some extent that there are issues, even I have. I just can't finds mens rea.

I absolutel agree.

Agreed, across the board.

Can't really argue with any of that Bear.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Even the US military guys I know agree that those Marines commercials are a horrible idea. I mean, it's supposed to be a really serious life, and they don't play a giant chess game or fight fire monsters.

That's just stupid at a time when stupidity is really not needed.

If you know military guys then I'm having dinner with the Pope.:lol:

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I got to tell you (it's scandalous and offendive I know), I really don't think the Marine Corps showed good judgment with those things.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I got to tell you (it's scandalous and offendive I know), I really don't think the Marine Corps showed good judgment with those things.

Now you're an expert on military recruiting?

If they reached their goals the ads worked.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Weapons were RPG's and AK47's confirmed and seen by helicopter pilot. They took out a ambush being set up. It was a good strike. As for children being involved, if you love your children, you do not bring them anywhere near to where a battle might happen, or try and use them as shields.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Weapons were RPG's and AK47's confirmed and seen by helicopter pilot. They took out a ambush being set up. It was a good strike. As for children being involved, if you love your children, you do not bring them anywhere near to where a battle might happen, or try and use them as shields.
Bingo!

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Now you're an expert on military recruiting?

If they reached their goals the ads worked.

Yeah, I'm pretty the giant chess game ad was corny, ridiculous and a mistake. Taken a little less seriously after making the ad? Yes.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Your posts are nothing but a shining example of stupidity.

He is one of those blank stare folks we have down here.

That's because unlike some people, you use logic, reasoned and critic thought. Even when we don't see eye to eye, I can't deny you that credit.

Yeah I'll give him credit for that too. We may not agree on too many things and have had our run ins over the years but he is better than some of the other clowns on this forum.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yeah, I'm pretty the giant chess game ad was corny, ridiculous and a mistake. Taken a little less seriously after making the ad? Yes.

Well the Marines made a bunch of those ads and they always reach their goals. Once again you know very little of what you speak of.

Have you taken my advice? Are you going to take a ride down to 8th and I St. down in D.C?

Better yet, go down to Foggy Bottom or Georgetown tomorrow night. There will be a bunch of them hanging out there. Let them know how you feel.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
He is one of those blank stare folks we have down here.
You don't have a lock on those types ES. They're a dime a dozen these days. If I ever get my hands on the asshat handing out the dimes....:lol:

Yeah I'll give him credit for that too. We may not agree on too many things and have had our run ins over the years but he is better than some of the other clowns on this forum.
Oh Avro and I have bumped heads once or twice too, but when he commits to the game, he's pretty damned on the ball.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Well the Marines made a bunch of those ads and they always reach their goals. Once again you know very little of what you speak of.

I actually don't believe someone needs expertise to say "US Marine Corps, don't make a recruitment ad wherein you pretend to be chess players on a board".

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Have you taken my advice? Are you going to take a ride down to 8th and I St. down in D.C?

Better yet, go down to Foggy Bottom or Georgetown tomorrow night. There will be a bunch of them hanging out there. Let them know how you feel.

I have to admit, the DC-specific details is rockin. You're speaking my language. That's awesome.