Collateral Murder

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
That's one way of looking at it and fair enough. Again, though it's a little disconcerting to hear them speaking so casually about the killings, I still figure it's their right to speak like that if they want to, though I still think as a matter of common decency they could sensor themselves at least a little.

Dispassion sucks - but it's also a necessity to react in worst-case scenario. What's even worse is reintegrating the man with the soldier when it's all over and it's time to go home.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Dispassion sucks - but it's also a necessity to react in worst-case scenario. What's even worse is reintegrating the man with the soldier when it's all over and it's time to go home.

Maybe he could become a police officer. Shoot first ask questions later.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So what is the full version? From what I got, they saw men with rifles and concluded that they were enemies. Now again, I don't know the policy in Iraq with regards to civilians carrying weapons.

Now let's suppose that through newspapers and other Arabic-language media the US had made it clear that all who are spotted with weapons in public are to be assumed to be enemies, and the US made every effort to ensure that message spreads, then that would make the attack somewhat acceptable, though still only targeting specifically the men carrying the weapons.

Now if it had also been made clear in the media that anyone in the presence of anyone carrying a weapon would be interpreted as an enemy, again that would make it more acceptable.I'd need more info on that.

However, even assuming the above, what was the criteria for the attack on the van? No one there was armed, and for all we know they could have been good Samaritans passing by, though granted it's highly unlikely since I'd assume they'd figured the US helicopter was behind it. But still, it would be reasonable to try to help a wounded man. Has the US military warned the general public about helping wounded persons hurt by their attacks? I doubt it. So even trying to give the benefit of the doubt at every turn, and seeing that kids were in the friggin' van window, and none of the men were armed, I don't see how that last part can be interpreted as anything less than murder by definition.
Mach, I don't have the time to show your post the respect it deserves. I will however answer it tomorrow. Have a good night.

And I am also worse than Idi Amin, apparently.
Wow, you have an amazing imagination, or would care to quote where you were called such?

:roll:

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
That's awesome stretch, now if you have something that pertains to the topic at hand. You can post that in another thread and we can discuss American war crimes there.
well mate, the thread is titled collateral murder and the vid I posted is just that, if want to go off on a tangient, thats your problem

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
You're leaving, I guess, but I'll point out the Amin line was a joke. It seemed like that's where you were going with that list of all those things you respect more than me. But enough of this... Back on topic.

The US military is a backwards society that shoots Iraqi children, covers up what they did by refusing to comply with FOIA requests, and then never accepts blame for it. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to join? Am I right?

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Does anyone else find it odd that some are always seem more concerned about soldiers' feelings during times like this? I don't think people grasp the magnitude of what happens. Innocent people, including children, were shot by an Apache helicopter, but let's not condemn that because we might come off as being unfair to our troops.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Whose law?

All applicable laws. For a soldier in Iraq, that would include international and Iraqi laws. And depending on the local government, possible some local laws or bi-laws too unless US soldiers are explicitly exempted from some of those laws. But whatever laws they're expected to abide by, they ought to learn those laws, learn to abide by those laws, and be aware of the consequences of not abiding by those laws. And of course those laws ought to be enforced to the full extent of the law.

I don't know what the laws are that govern US soldiers but I don't see how that last part in the video with unarmed me helping an unarmed injured man with children in a truck could be considered within the confine of any law I can imagine. But of course I'm open to an explanation if there's anything I've missed.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Does anyone else find it odd that some are always seem more concerned about soldiers' feelings during times like this? I don't think people grasp the magnitude of what happens. Innocent people, including children, were shot by an Apache helicopter, but let's not condemn that because we might come off as being unfair to our troops.

Haven't you been reading my posts? Yes I'm trying to give those soldiers the benefit of the doubt and have admitted my ignorance on specific fronts. However, I don't see how any of my posts ave been giving soldiers a free ride.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Haven't you been reading my posts? Yes I'm trying to give those soldiers the benefit of the doubt and have admitted my ignorance on specific fronts. However, I don't see how any of my posts ave been giving soldiers a free ride.

My last post wasn't directed at you. Rather it was more of an exasperation about all people in general collectively, and how they usually react to this kind of stuff.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
If some country invaded Canada and overran our military, does anyone doubt there would be instant retaliation from Canadians? Do you not think that a lot of people would be massing in our forests to create a resistance? Insurgent is a convenient word to use to create an enemy when in fact they would be freedom fighters if they were Canadians on Canadian soil.

Actually, seeing as most Americans can't tell a Canadian from an American, and given that Canadians are expert at mimicking US accents, It would be more effective to cross the border into the US and carry out resistance activities there.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
The WikiLeaks Video and Terrorist Blowback
by Jacob G. Hornberger
I can’t improve on Glenn Greenwald’s analysis of the WikiLeaks video depicting the slaughter of Iraqi citizens. See here and here and here.

However, there is one part of the WikiLeaks video that I wish to address — the reaction of the helicopter pilots upon learning that there were two children who were shot and injured during the melee. Their reaction, in fact, perfectly exemplifies the mindset that has long characterized U.S. officials, including those in the Pentagon.

When the pilots discovered that they had shot the two Iraqi kids, here was their exchange:
“Well it’s their fault for bringing their kids into a battle.”
“That’s right.”

No remorse, no anguish, no regret, no concern. Just callous indifference to the possibility that the lives of two innocent children might have just been snuffed out.

What will be the reaction of the relatives of those two Iraqi children, who lost their father in the attack? Surely, even the most ardent pro-war advocates would not deny the obvious: the relatives will be filled with anger and rage.

Welcome to the world of U.S. foreign policy and terrorist blowback.

In fact, this most recent episode in Iraq is a minor déjà vu of what took place during the Persian Gulf War and the 11-year period following it. During that war, the Pentagon conducted a secret study that concluded that if Iraq’s water and sewage facilities were destroyed, this would help spread infectious illnesses among the Iraqi people.

So, the order was given: Drop the bombs on those facilities.

Then, to ensure that the facilities couldn’t be repaired, the U.S. government induced the UN to impose one of the most brutal systems of sanctions in history on Iraq.

The Pentagon proved to be right, with the deadly consequences of drinking the polluted water falling most heavily on Iraqi children. Year after year, tens of thousands of Iraqi children were dying. Two high UN officials even resigned their posts in protest to what they termed “genocide.”

What was the reaction of U.S. officials to those deaths? It was the same reaction expressed by those pilots in the WikiLeaks video: callous indifference. U.S. Ambassador to the UN Madeleine Albright reflected the mindset of U.S. officials when she told “Sixty Minutes” (and the people of the Middle East) that the deaths of half-a-million Iraqi children from the sanctions were “worth it.”

It is impossible to measure the depth of anger and rage that spread not just in Iraq but also the Middle East over the deaths of the Iraqi children, year after year, and over the mindset of callous indifference that characterized U.S. officials. When Ramzi Yousef was sentenced for the 1993 terrorist attack on the WTC, he angrily cited the sanctions and the deaths of the Iraqi children as one of the things that drove him to commit his terrorist attack.

That WTC attack in 1993 was followed by the attack on the USS Cole, the attack on the U.S. Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, and, of course, the 9/11 attacks.

We all know what U.S. officials said: Oh, it’s not because of what the U.S. government has done to people in Iraq and the Middle East, including the sanctions and our indifference to the deaths of the Iraqi children, the Persian Gulf intervention, the unconditional financial and military support to the Israeli government, or the intentional stationing of U.S. troops on Islamic holy lands. People in the Middle East don’t care about all that. They just hate us for our freedom and values.

Mark my words: they’ll say the same thing if relatives of those two Iraqi children — or the children themselves — end up retaliating for what was done to the children’s father and other victims of the most recent slaughter.

Finally, let us never forget: Neither the Iraqi people nor the Iraqi government participated in the 9/11 attacks or ever attacked the United States. That makes the U.S. government the unlawful aggressor, invader, attacker, and occupier in this conflict, which means that U.S. soldiers have no right, moral or legal, to be killing anyone in Iraq, including those Iraqis who are simply trying to rid their country of an illegal aggressor, invader, attacker, and occupier.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So what is the full version? From what I got, they saw men with rifles and concluded that they were enemies. Now again, I don't know the policy in Iraq with regards to civilians carrying weapons.
There had been armed clashes between ground forces and insurgents throughout the day. The Apache's were there to find these pockets of men and terminate the threat. This video, though tragic, is simply what happens in war, when you have an armed force, that mingles with civilians, and doesn't wear a uniform.

However, even assuming the above, what was the criteria for the attack on the van?
Simple, it is common practice of insurgents, to sterilize a scene.
No one there was armed, and for all we know they could have been good Samaritans passing by, though granted it's highly unlikely since I'd assume they'd figured the US helicopter was behind it.
You would think so, since it was pretty quick on the scene.

But still, it would be reasonable to try to help a wounded man.
Is it reasonable to take your kids with you in to a hot firefight?

Has the US military warned the general public about helping wounded persons hurt by their attacks?
There's no obligation to do so.

I doubt it. So even trying to give the benefit of the doubt at every turn, and seeing that kids were in the friggin' van window, and none of the men were armed, I don't see how that last part can be interpreted as anything less than murder by definition.
You know those were kids, because they were identified to you, by the editing in the video.

well mate, the thread is titled collateral murder and the vid I posted is just that,
No it wasn't. That video is an issue all it's own. Which was my point.
if want to go off on a tangient, thats your problem
This is a tangent, because this thread isn't about a claim of encompassed war crimes Stretch, it's about a specific incident. I can understand how you would want to obfuscate that issue.
All applicable laws.
Wrong Mach, there are two rule books and they are the only rule books applicable in war, 1, The Laws of Armed Conflict. 2, The Rules of Engagement. All else is nullified.

For a soldier in Iraq, that would include international and Iraqi laws. And depending on the local government, possible some local laws or bi-laws too unless US soldiers are explicitly exempted from some of those laws.
And in combat they are. On R&R, is another matter altogether.

But whatever laws they're expected to abide by, they ought to learn those laws, learn to abide by those laws, and be aware of the consequences of not abiding by those laws. And of course those laws ought to be enforced to the full extent of the law.
Mach, this is nonsensical. You show a complete lack of knowledge of what a war zone is like.

I don't know what the laws are that govern US soldiers but I don't see how that last part in the video with unarmed me helping an unarmed injured man with children in a truck could be considered within the confine of any law I can imagine.
You'ld be surprised what constitutes a combatant.

But of course I'm open to an explanation if there's anything I've missed.
To be honest Mach. I don't think you're up to it, and I know I'm not. It would be futile and likely to end badly.

exchange:
“Well it’s their fault for bringing their kids into a battle.”
“That’s right.”
Yep, and they were quite right.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
After looking at the video again and reading through this thread I think I am slowly changing my stance on this incident.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The US Armed Forces are mostly made up of sick individuals, period.

Some borderline retards, still on duty doing the killing for it`s gov, while others, like CanCon`s annoying skin-tag, Eaglesnack, still thinking he`s in the forces but in all likelyhood one of those un-lucky `not quite right` bastards barred due to his severe injuries and living on a fixed monthly income with plenty of medication and time on his hands to spout off on an internet board about `protecting the weak`, safe and sound behind his keyboard.:canada:

Ahhh Haaaa :laughing5:

That was a great clip JBee. Especially at 4:53!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Actually, seeing as most Americans can't tell a Canadian from an American, and given that Canadians are expert at mimicking US accents, It would be more effective to cross the border into the US and carry out resistance activities there.

That would be funny. Are you going to be the first one to volunteer?