U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Gerryhurt.I dont tell you how to install furnaces,please dont get into a convo you have no clue about by participating in a topic about something you dont have a clue about.

You install furnaces and I do enviro work,we both probably have the same amount of years devoted to our trade.
I would never question your thoughts on installing furnaces or making someone's house more energy efficient because thats your forte,your an expert in your field.
I may not be an expert in mine yet but i'm working towards it,big bucks to be made in the environmental movement,it's a whole new industry and no matter which side of the fence your on you better be able to get along.

You have to be pro active.

I guess I hit pretty close to home when you basically tell me to shut up.....lol

I wasn't telling you how to do your job, just pointing out that using the "they do it" argument is weak as hell, and if you're such an expert in how great a job they do here in Alberta, then there is no need to point out other jurisdictions short comings when comparisons are not being made. Nobody else has said it's being done better elsewhere, just that it could be done better here, with some saying that we shouldn't be in the position of having to worry about it in the first place if we weren't screwing it up to begin with.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I guess I hit pretty close to home when you basically tell me to shut up.....lol

I wasn't telling you how to do your job, just pointing out that using the "they do it" argument is weak as hell, and if you're such an expert in how great a job they do here in Alberta, then there is no need to point out other jurisdictions short comings when comparisons are not being made. Nobody else has said it's being done better elsewhere, just that it could be done better here, with some saying that we shouldn't be in the position of having to worry about it in the first place if we weren't screwing it up to begin with.

And im just pointing out that maybe the west coasters that seem to be so vocal about our oilsands should STFU and clean up their own backyard first before beaking off about ours considering they pump all their raw untreated sewage right into the ocean.:roll:
Doing that in Alberta would get you serious jail time and a fine in the 5 or 6 figure range.
Thats discharge into ANY waterway,no oceans here.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
And im just pointing out that maybe the west coasters that seem to be so vocal about our oilsands should STFU and clean up their own backyard first before beaking off about ours considering they pump all their raw untreated sewage right into the ocean.:roll:
Doing that in Alberta would get you serious jail time and a fine in the 5 or 6 figure range.

There you are with the shut up again:roll:..... no one is required to "STFU" especially when it comes to our backyard. Whether the person lives in Calgary, Edmonton, Naniamo, St. Johns, they all have the right to voice their opinions and concerns when it comes to what is happening in Canada. The whole of Canada is our backyard, not just the city, or province we happen to live in.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
There you are with the shut up again:roll:..... no one is required to "STFU" especially when it comes to our backyard. Whether the person lives in Calgary, Edmonton, Naniamo, St. Johns, they all have the right to voice their opinions and concerns when it comes to what is happening in Canada. The whole of Canada is our backyard, not just the city, or province we happen to live in.
I have no problem with folks voicing their opinions Gerry but hate seeing the bad info on the oilsands just because someone has a hate on for Alberta,you want to debate enviro issues then fine,I can answer a lot of your questions,you want to just say Alberta is bad then I'll throw some comparisons out there and Van and Victoria pumping their poop into the ocean comes to mind.:roll:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You don't really grasp the concept of a mycorrhizal relationship, do you?

I dont but I do grasp the politics of a visit by a US ambassador and getting the "clipper" back on track.;-)

Obamas man was just making sure the political ramifications werent too bad if they got back to getting that huge crude oil pipeline to the states in the ground.
Thats what they call the "Clipper".:lol:
One person on this thread took the time to search it.:cool:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Have no worries. We do keep the pressure on in our own back yard, too, so you can STFU yourself. It's a weak argument known as a red herring to divert the focus off on something else.
And it has been pointed out that the sewage is being dealt with, but I guess you have your blinders on and missed those posts.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I have no problem with folks voicing their opinions Gerry but hate seeing the bad info on the oilsands just because someone has a hate on for Alberta,you want to debate enviro issues then fine,I can answer a lot of your questions,you want to just say Alberta is bad then I'll throw some comparisons out there and Van and Victoria pumping their poop into the ocean comes to mind.:roll:
So who hates Alberta? I think the hate think is all in your head. Van and Victoria are off-topic, but you have a small point. BC could clean its backyard up more, too. When we sit back and say, "Oh they've started cleaning up a bit so we can relax now" is when things start to regress again. If we don't keep the matter where people can see it, it disappears from mind.
The fact remains that oil leaks cause an awful lot more damage than sewage, especially treated sewage.
Want to get back on topic or do you want to talk about PEI, Manitoba, or Labrador making a mess of something?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In a nutshell, just about any living thing is part of a food chain. You mess with one link of the chain and it affects the rest.
Example: Colorado killed off all their wolves. Eventually they noticed there was no new growth in a lot of their deciduous trees. Because there were no wolves, the caribou herds expanded and kept eating all the new shoots of various (mostly cottonwood) growth. That effected bugs, birds, etc.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Have no worries. We do keep the pressure on in our own back yard, too, so you can STFU yourself. It's a weak argument known as a red herring to divert the focus off on something else.
And it has been pointed out that the sewage is being dealt with, but I guess you have your blinders on and missed those posts.
It's not a weak argument when the peeps whining the loudest cant clean up their own backyard.
Forgive me for repeatedly pointing out the irony.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Who wouldn't want to have a close look at this?....;-):roll:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Looks just like the big open pit strip mines in B.C. that you cant see from the road except I think they take up way more land then the oilsands ever will.
And the clear cuts that are a mere 10m beyond the highways to appear pristine as you drive by.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Who wouldn't want to have a close look at this?....:wink::roll:

The landscape in Indonesia after the eruption of Krakatoa was far more bleak.
The landscape in Washington after the eruption of Mt. St, Helen's was far more bleak.

But only for a year or two. For the alarmists who claim to love Earth, here is a piece of advise: learn to respect the restorative powers of Mother Nature.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It's not a weak argument when the peeps whining the loudest cant clean up their own backyard.
Forgive me for repeatedly pointing out the irony.
It's weak. My yard is peachy except for a few weeds. Fellow BCers are working on theirs. The province is working on the province, as are the other provinces. By your logic no-one from Canada should have grumbled about the Exxon Valdez spill because it was an American deal and Canada needed to clean up some of its own mess at the time. It's a ridiculous argument.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You people have any more to say about this diplomat's visit to the tar sands or are you going to continue to hijack the thread?
You want to talk about BC make a BC thread. You want to talk about Krakatoa or Mt. St. Helen, make a thread about them.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
It's weak. My yard is peachy except for a few weeds. Fellow BCers are working on theirs. The province is working on the province, as are the other provinces. By your logic no-one from Canada should have grumbled about the Exxon Valdez spill because it was an American deal and Canada needed to clean up some of its own mess at the time. It's a ridiculous argument.

It's not weak,your province pump's their poop right into the ocean yet syncrude has a zero discharge policy and has had for years,your just starting to take measures on discharging waste and toxic chemicals after thousands of people started posting it on the net.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It's not weak,your province pump's their poop right into the ocean yet syncrude has a zero discharge policy and has had for years,your just starting to take measures on discharging waste and toxic chemicals after thousands of people started posting it on the net.
It's a red herring. It's what is known as a fallacious argument. Instead of arguing the topic you divert from the topic. So, are you finished hijacking the thread yet?