U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yes dear,those are the deposits,not operating mines.Theres no mine in cold lake unless they built it since I was there this spring.:roll:

Can you differentiate between a deposit and an operating mine?

They're not mining in the Cold Lake area? What exactley ARE they doing in Cold Lake then?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Teck cominco has 5 mines in the elk valley alone,you missed a few and just posted the companys,not the actuall mines.
You also forgot tumbler ridge,yes they are mining there still.
I worked with lots of the peeps from Brenda mine,they were dumping the waste rock right into the ocean.
North America's first woman shovel operator came from the Brenda mine also,just a lil mining factoid I thought I would thrown in.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You also forgot tumbler ridge,yes they are mining there still.
I worked with lots of the peeps from Brenda mine,they were dumping the waste rock right into the ocean.
North America's first woman shovel operator came from the Brenda mine also,just a lil mining factoid I thought I would thrown in.
Funny. Brenda mines is located a few miles from Peachland. Peachland is in the Okanagan Valley which is halfway across BC from the ocean. That hardly sounds cost effective to me.

So what's the area of the sands workings?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
They're not mining in the Cold Lake area? What exactley ARE they doing in Cold Lake then?
Planting wells every square kilometer and piping whatever they get to the many plants there.
Theres at least three 500 man camps on the weapons range alone just for all the drill and pipeline crews but theres no mines....not yet anyways.

The range itself is like a small city,there has to be 40 different energy outfits in there.I had to check my target map everyday before going to a site to see if the f15's were going to practice bombing near it or testing out there lasers which I was told were a bad thing to get in the eyes.8O

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It''s a whole bloody mountain range about 80 miles long and 20 wide and another mountain range right over the "pristine" flathead valley.No ones allowed within ten miles of the mine boundarys and it encompasses a land mass way larger then the oilsands is useing right now. Thats coal mountain,elkview,line creek,greenhills and the big fording mine in elkford.all teck mines.Then theres tent mountain which just sits there,no reclaim,these mines typically take a mountain and move it as overburden to the next valley.
What's the area of the actual workings?
What's the working area of the tar sands?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Funny. Brenda mines is located a few miles from Peachland. Peachland is in the Okanagan Valley which is halfway across BC from the ocean. That hardly sounds cost effective to me.

So what's the area of the sands workings?
It was one of the guys from brenda said they were dumping into open water as he was on a cat and went through a dump failure.Not the ocean I guess but did they dump into the water?
I'm not too familiar with brenda mines except when they shut down most of the employees came to work in the coal mines in B.C.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It was one of the guys from brenda said they were dumping into open water as he was on a cat and went through a dump failure.Not the ocean I guess but did they dump into the water?
I'm not too familiar with brenda mines except when they shut down most of the employees came to work in the coal mines in B.C.
Last I heard, they made a hill from the waste rock. Some of it went to make the dam for the tailings pond.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The syncrude site is a good place for you to start if your really serious here.
All the questions you keep asking are there along with reclaim pics.
Great, I supply all kinds of info about stuff that you brought up in the first place and some was off-topic and you can't even bother to post one link. :roll:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Thats output from all the wells.Once again,thats a property and not a mine.

Property News

December 31, 2008
Gross production averaged 146 thousand barrels a day during the fourth quarter, versus 158 thousand barrels in the same quarter last year. For the full year, gross production was 147 thousand barrels a day this year, compared with 154 thousand barrels in the same period 2007. Lower production volumes in the fourth quarter and 2008 were due to the cyclic nature of production at Cold Lake.

September 30, 2008
Reported that gross production of Cold Lake heavy oil averaged 143 thousand barrels a day during the third quarter, versus 160 thousand barrels in the same quarter last year. For the first nine months, gross production was 147 thousand barrels a day this year, compared with 152 thousand barrels in the same period of 2007. Lower production volumes in the third quarter and nine months of 2008 were due to the cyclic nature of production at Cold Lake.

March 31, 2008
Gross production of Cold Lake heavy oil averaged 154 thousand barrels a day during the first quarter, versus 144 thousand barrels in the same quarter last year. Higher production in 2008 was due to the cyclic nature of production at Cold Lake and increased volumes from the ongoing development drilling program.

Maybe this will explain it better.
Imperial Oil Resources Limited (Imperial Oil) proposed to expand its operations within its Cold Lake lease in north-central Alberta (IORL 1997a). This oil sands in-situ development, known as the Cold Lake Expansion Project, will expand the existing Cold Lake operations by the development of a central plant and addition of wells. Production is expected to increase from approximately 14,900 m 3/d to more than 20,000 m 3/d within a few years of operation. Approximately 2500 wells are currently operating within the Cold Lake Development Area.
The Cold Lake facility, the second largest producer of oil in Canada, extracts oil from sand deposits containing bitumen (a heavy oil). These deposits are located more than 400 m below the earth's surface, too deep for recovery by surface (open-pit) mining. Imperial Oil therefore developed cyclic steam stimulation, a thermal recovery process that injects steam at high pressure and temperature into the bitumen reservoir. The process consists of three steps (steaming, soaking and production) that is repeated until depletion of the bitumen reservoir.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The Cold Lake facility, the second largest producer of oil in Canada, extracts oil from sand deposits containing bitumen (a heavy oil). These deposits are located more than 400 m below the earth's surface, too deep for recovery by surface (open-pit) mining.