U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You people have any more to say about this diplomat's visit to the tar sands or are you going to continue to hijack the thread?
You want to talk about BC make a BC thread. You want to talk about Krakatoa or Mt. St. Helen, make a thread about them.

He's talking about the environment,totally relevant to the thread,things grow back,thats his point.

Both those eruptions pumped out more bad **** then the oilsands will ever.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
He's talking about the environment,totally relevant to the thread,things grow back,thats his point.

Both those eruptions pumped out more bad **** then the oilsands will ever.
A reminder, you toad: the topic =
U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Out of site,out of mind I guess,that pic is of an operating mine,thats what they look like,maybe juan should post some pics of the reclaimed land.

What was it you do for a living Kakato? I understood you were a heavy equipment operator.

I worked for Bechtal at Fort Mac on the first tar sands plant in the mid sixties as a field engineer. I have since travelled back maybe a half dozen times. As of seven years ago very little reclamation had been done.

The tar sands remain the biggest, dirtiest, project on the face of the earth.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Most of the oil sands of Canada are located in three major deposits in northern Alberta. These are the Athabasca-Wabiskaw oil sands of north northeastern Alberta, the Cold Lake deposits of east northeastern Alberta, and the Peace River deposits of northwestern Alberta. Between them they cover over 140,000 square kilometres (54,000 sq mi) - an area larger than England
- wiki
The area of the province is 661,848 sq km (255,500 sq mi). That's about a fifth of the province.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"A reminder, you toad: the topic =
U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands "

Precisely, AnnaG.

I responded to a picture presented as the total destruction of the environment by the Oil Sands Project.

I simply pointed out that the damage caused in Alberta is dwarfed by the damage caused by Nature in the two examples I mentioned. Yet, a couple of years later, you would not have known that there ever was a disaster.

So, my point was that while the oil sands projects may cause temporary damage, nature is more than capable of fixing it. Alberta, Washington or Indonesia.

No need to worry, unless you are Al Gore or a blinf acolyte.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Jack, tell me. How is mother nature doing with the mess left from Chernobyl?"

DurkaDurka, the last time I checked, Chernobyl was a NUCLEAR disaster. None of the examples I cited for the restorative powers of Nature, nor the Alberta Oil Sands Project is a nuclear disaster.

Surely you can see the difference.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
"A reminder, you toad: the topic =
U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands "

Precisely, AnnaG.

I responded to a picture presented as the total destruction of the environment by the Oil Sands Project.

I simply pointed out that the damage caused in Alberta is dwarfed by the damage caused by Nature in the two examples I mentioned. Yet, a couple of years later, you would not have known that there ever was a disaster.

So, my point was that while the oil sands projects may cause temporary damage, nature is more than capable of fixing it. Alberta, Washington or Indonesia.

No need to worry, unless you are Al Gore or a blinf acolyte.
That's fine, Jack, but does man really need to add to nature's deeds? No.

Toad, just for your information as you mentioned open pit mines, they do NOT approach anywhere near the area of the sands as you suggested, and there are 8 of them:

8 operating open pit mines in BC:

Iron Concentrates Ops
Huckleberry
Mount Polley
Kemess
Gibraltar
Teck Cominco
Highland Valley
Endako

The area of each is measured in hectares, not square kilometers as is the tar sands.
BC is 944,735 sq km (364,800 sq mi)

Brenda Mine was closed and was 914 meters in diameter with a 87 hectare tailings pond. It was reclaimed after it closed down.

The largest of them is the Highland Valley mine near Kamloops and is composed of a few open pits, each smaller than the Brenda mine.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
- wiki
The area of the province is 661,848 sq km (255,500 sq mi). That's about a fifth of the province.

Yes dear,those are the deposits,not operating mines.Theres no mine in cold lake unless they built it since I was there this spring.:roll:

Can you differentiate between a deposit and an operating mine?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Here's some info about the tar sands as of Feb/08:

- Oil sands mining is licensed to use twice the amount of fresh water that the entire city of Calgary uses in a year.
- At least 90% of the fresh water used in the oil sands ends up in ends up in tailing ponds so toxic that propane cannons are used to keep ducks from landing in them.
- Processing the oil sands uses enough natural gas in a day to heat 3 million homes in Canada.
- The tailing ponds are considered one of the largest human-made structures in the world. The ponds span 50 square kilometers and can be seen from space.
- Producing a barrel of oil from the oil sands produces three times more gas emissions than a barrel of conventional oil.
- The oil sands operations are the fastest growing source of gas emissions in Canada. By 2020 the oil sands will release twice the amount produced currently by all the cars and trucks in Canada. - Sticky Icky Tar … Canadian Tar Sands and US-Canadian Relations

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
That's fine, Jack, but does man really need to add to nature's deeds? No.

Toad, just for your information as you mentioned open pit mines, they do NOT approach anywhere near the area of the sands as you suggested, and there are 8 of them:

8 operating open pit mines in BC:

Iron Concentrates Ops
Huckleberry
Mount Polley
Kemess
Gibraltar
Teck Cominco
Highland Valley
Endako

The area of each is measured in hectares, not square kilometers as is the tar sands.
BC is 944,735 sq km (364,800 sq mi)

Brenda Mine was closed and was 914 meters in diameter with a 87 hectare tailings pond. It was reclaimed after it closed down.

The largest of them is the Highland Valley mine near Kamloops and is composed of a few open pits, each smaller than the Brenda mine.
Teck cominco has 5 mines in the elk valley alone,you missed a few and just posted the companys,not the actuall mines.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yes dear,those are the deposits,not operating mines.Theres no mine in cold lake unless they built it since I was there this spring.:roll:
Fine. What is the area of the operation then?

Can you differentiate between a deposit and an operating mine?
Up your rosy red, Peewee. I'm not as stupid as ypu look.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Teck cominco has 5 mines in the elk valley alone,you missed a few and just posted the companys,not the actuall mines.
So? When they are measured in hectares, what's a couple here or there? What's the working area of the sands?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
So? When they are measured in hectares, what's a couple here or there? What's the working area of the sands?
It''s a whole bloody mountain range about 80 miles long and 20 wide and another mountain range right over the "pristine" flathead valley.No ones allowed within ten miles of the mine boundarys and it encompasses a land mass way larger then the oilsands is useing right now. Thats coal mountain,elkview,line creek,greenhills and the big fording mine in elkford.all teck mines.Then theres tent mountain which just sits there,no reclaim,these mines typically take a mountain and move it as overburden to the next valley.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
What was it you do for a living Kakato? I understood you were a heavy equipment operator.

I worked for Bechtal at Fort Mac on the first tar sands plant in the mid sixties as a field engineer. I have since travelled back maybe a half dozen times. As of seven years ago very little reclamation had been done.

The tar sands remain the biggest, dirtiest, project on the face of the earth.

It's a big operation but their reclamation percentage is still the highest in the industry.
My stepdad ran the big bucketwheel back then for Fording.
I hear the camp was pretty wild.