Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Just as I thought...
That is easy for you to say. lol

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
This is exactly my point. Every single human designed ecosystem is going to be lower in biodiversity than it was before it was disturbed. The fact that these morons in industry think that reshaping the landscape so as to even out topography, or making it possible to grow grass where forests stood, is proof that when they say make it better, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

I think I made this point a while back, which Kakato and kryptic skipped past. If you don't have species richness indices to compare, and have no comparison for before and after nutrient cycling, then the rest is all hand waiving. Especially if they expect the native species to repopulate the area, with similar population relationships.

Who said anything about planting grass where forest stood? As pointed out a few times allready the native trees are allways put back when possible,if a road is needed over native grass that has no seed available for reseeding then mats or pallets are laid down,the native grass isnt disturbed.

Sorry dude but humans have to survive on this planet and if a few fungi get killed then so be it,every time you take a step outside you kill something and change the ecosystem around you.Ive worked on lots of reclamation and allways go back to see what it looks like ad i've never seen any killer poison mushrooms cruising around.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Who said anything about planting grass where forest stood? As pointed out a few times allready the native trees are allways put back when possible,if a road is needed over native grass that has no seed available for reseeding then mats or pallets are laid down,the native grass isnt disturbed.

Sorry dude but humans have to survive on this planet and if a few fungi get killed then so be it,every time you take a step outside you kill something and change the ecosystem around you.Ive worked on lots of reclamation and allways go back to see what it looks like ad i've never seen any killer poison mushrooms cruising around.

Were you knee deep in mud at the time? Was it October? Mushrooms don't grow year round. On any given day, money is, you won't see any mushrooms. Clearly you didn't see any mushrooms, which would be a worse sign.

Yet, these simple looking mushrooms are killing those "native" trees that you planted without their native mychorrhizal companions.

I am talking about the largest organisms in the world here. Not something that you kill when you casually step out of your work vehicle. Something 8.9 kilometres squared. So be it? That is along way off "As close to original as possible." Are you giving up your position so easily. From "As close as possible" to "I just don't care" in a few posts?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Were you knee deep in mud at the time? Was it October? Mushrooms don't grow year round. On any given day, money is, you won't see any mushrooms. Clearly you didn't see any mushrooms, which would be a worse sign.

Yet, these simple looking mushrooms are killing those "native" trees that you planted without their native mychorrhizal companions.

I am talking about the largest organisms in the world here. Not something that you kill when you casually step out of your work vehicle. Something 8.9 kilometres squared. So be it? That is along way off "As close to original as possible." Are you giving up your position so easily. From "As close as possible" to "I just don't care" in a few posts?

Thats why you strip both soils,so it can go back where it came from,mushrooms intact.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Most people never notice the honey mushrooms until the tree hits their house in a powerful wind storm. I would knock on people's doors to warn them, but most people wouldn't listen and some might call the cops.

That and thousands of other species which allow the entire eco-system to be in balance.

Who said anything about planting grass where forest stood?

You said grass growing where forests had is making the land better.

Sorry dude but humans have to survive on this planet and if a few fungi get killed then so be it,every time you take a step outside you kill something and change the ecosystem around you.

You obviously have no comprehension whatsoever about nutrient cycles. When I walk outside, I don't wipe out entire populations of anything. The ecosystem is fine. When you remove all the biota, then remove all the soil, and sterilize it, you are fundamentally changing that ecosystem.

Ive worked on lots of reclamation and allways go back to see what it looks like ad i've never seen any killer poison mushrooms cruising around.

I'm not surprised that you wouldn't. Have you ever looked for them? Have you documented which species are present? Which ones are no longer there? Which ones are there that weren't before?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
whoooooooooooooooosh right overhead
Well Im willing to debate it as non partisan as I can because I really am not a fan of big oil but I am very familiar with the rules and regs about moving the earth and anything in the energy industry.When I worked for Encanna I was the one who got the fine if someone took a piss off the right of way or lease without a water discharge permit.
If your here just to take cheap shots then thats fine,it wont be the first time.
I try and be proactive where the environment is concerned,thats where the money is now.
There is ALLWAYS room for improvement and it is going on.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You don't really grasp the concept of a mycorrhizal relationship, do you?
We do what the microbiologists tell us to,strip 1.5 cm's of #1 dirt,place in a location thats safe,whatever,they went to university for it so I listen to them.
Im not the bug,fish,bird or shroom guy,they usually hang around though,when it comes to that stuff they are the boss.
As far as I can tell,Alberta has some of the strictest regulations when it comes to disturbing the environment.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well Im willing to debate it as non partisan as I can because I really am not a fan of big oil but I am very familiar with the rules and regs about moving the earth and anything in the energy industry.When I worked for Encanna I was the one who got the fine if someone took a piss off the right of way or lease without a water discharge permit.
Fine. :)
If your here just to take cheap shots then thats fine,it wont be the first time.
Yup, obviously by the amount of thought I put into the threads here, the amount of info I post here, etc. is indicative I am only here "to take cheap shots". lol Wrong. People get frustrated when others refuse to understand the point. Frustration is a human thing.
I try and be proactive where the environment is concerned,thats where the money is now.
There is ALLWAYS room for improvement and it is going on.
Ah, so it's money that the best reason to behave responsibly and not to maintain the quality of life on the planet. I see.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
We do what the microbiologists tell us to,strip 1.5 cm's of #1 dirt,place in a location thats safe,whatever,they went to university for it so I listen to them.
Im not the bug,fish,bird or shroom guy,they usually hang around though,when it comes to that stuff they are the boss.
As far as I can tell,Alberta has some of the strictest regulations when it comes to disturbing the environment.

Yeah, sure because that is as good as possible. Unfortunately only the nasty stuff really lives through that. If it was that easy to regrow mycorrhizal mushrooms such as chanterelles those microbiologists would have a thriving business instead of working for somebody else.

That and we would have a whole lot more tasty delights in the supermarkets.

I will grant you that the regulations are strict and it is an attempt to do it as good as possible. Which is admirable and better than nothing, sure. But it is a long cry from "Better than original" and arguably not close enough.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Fine. :)
Yup, obviously by the amount of thought I put into the threads here, the amount of info I post here, etc. is indicative I am only here "to take cheap shots". lol Wrong. People get frustrated when others refuse to understand the point. Frustration is a human thing.
Ah, so it's money that the best reason to behave responsibly and not to maintain the quality of life on the planet. I see.

There's a fine balance that has to be achieved,taking care of the environment means quality of life stays close to the same.

The rules have to be followed to the letter.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I have no problem with sarcasm. I just figure that you should either raise the maturity level a tad or go post at www.sesamestreet.com

im about to make some magic math on that site....

Honestly though about the thread i believe the oilsands was allowed to over expand, way too fast. Money is making its mark and im sure both sides of the line can agree that even though there is alot of policy for better and worse its not getting any better in the short term (50 yrs)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I am not sure you are completely correct niflmir.
In my experience chantrelles grow quite well in disturbed ground.
I generally find lots growing along the roaadside.
I am mostly only familar with the yellow or orange variety that grows
on west coast.I do not seem to have to slog through the trees as much in my search for them.Also i find many pines growing in sandy beds on disabled logging
roads and along the side of well marked trails.
I do agree however with the relationship with the mushroom and the forest.
And a wild mushroom is just the fruit of a large organism.
Buds are popping to bad the value is no longer there .
But i still have my feed a few times a year.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
im about to make some magic math on that site....

Honestly though about the thread i believe the oilsands was allowed to over expand, way too fast. Money is making its mark and im sure both sides of the line can agree that even though there is alot of policy for better and worse its not getting any better in the short term (50 yrs)

I dont think it's overexpanding as most projects were put on hold last year,they are also doing reclamation thats second to none anywhere else in the world.

One thing I'll say about Shell and thats that they have policies and procedures that are way over any government regs and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong,same with Encanna.

Due diligence is all about being the best or better then the rules set out by the powers that be.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
and this has what to do with the oil sands?......or is your argument getting so weak that you need to fall back on "they're doing it too"?
Gerryhurt.I dont tell you how to install furnaces,please dont get into a convo you have no clue about by participating in a topic about something you dont have a clue about.

You install furnaces and I do enviro work,we both probably have the same amount of years devoted to our trade.
I would never question your thoughts on installing furnaces or making someone's house more energy efficient because thats your forte,your an expert in your field.
I may not be an expert in mine yet but i'm working towards it,big bucks to be made in the environmental movement,it's a whole new industry and no matter which side of the fence your on you better be able to get along.

You have to be pro active.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
i aint challenging you buddy im just saying it got pretty big really fast, and its alot of work. Some people might think that we are better off using our resources finding different ways to fuel our needs. They are doing what your saying and they are doing what im saying too >_<