U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Anyway, I hope the US Ambassador isn't snowed by all the wonderful things that can be said about oil in AB.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Is Vancouver and Victoria still pouring their raw sewage into the ocean?

Not exactly. In 2006 the Provincial government ordered sewage treatment plants to be built and expanded.

For some years now Metro Vancouver has operated and maintained a network of trunk sewers, pumping stations and wastewater treatment plants that connect with municipal sewer systems.

Victoria is not far behind but it is more dificult when the town is built on a rock. A lot of the scientific thought says that exhausting sewage into swift ocean currents sixty five meters below the surface was not the disaster some say it was.

Alberta's answer for years was to dump their raw sewage into great, stinking pools called sewage lagoons where the sewage simply rotted in these open air pools. Nobody is perfect.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
roflmao Never been a leak in 30 years? 2007 & 2008 were more than 30 years ago?

CBC News - Calgary - Sour gas leak evacuates southern Alberta homes

Family allowed to fight sour gas decision

Im farther west in the savanna field,97%sour and if an evacuation happened thats because the monitors picked up a trace which is good,those peeps around pincher all rely on the Waterton shell plant for their livelihood and have no problems with shell,the peeps at beaver mines(from your link) are mostly hard core environuts from the Alberta wilderness association,I know them well.:lol:
Ive been here since 1967 and never been evacuated,

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Im farther west in the savanna field,97%sour and if an evacuation happened thats because the monitors picked up a trace which is good,those peeps around pincher all rely on the Waterton shell plant for their livelihood and have no problems with shell,the peeps at beaver mines(from your link) are mostly hard core environuts from the Alberta wilderness association,I know them well.:lol:
I see, so a trace of a leak isn't really a leak.
Shell, Waterton, Beaver mines, etc. I don't care where the leaks were. Leaks are leaks.
Yeah, because they are hard core environuts means there was no leaks. I see.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I see, so a trace of a leak isn't really a leak.
Shell, Waterton, Beaver mines, etc. I don't care where the leaks were. Leaks are leaks.
Yeah, because they are hard core environuts means there was no leaks. I see.

They pick up concentrations that are very low so better safe then sorry,shows the equipment is working right and if it was a big blowout you wouldnt have time to do anything anyways.

How many peeps have died from sour gas in Alberta the last 5 years?
Probably more have died from lightning strikes.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
It's allways put back as close to original as possible,I took lots of before and after pics of my jobs,in most you cant tell anyone has been there after a week.

The oilsands are contained in one area,thats one thing about open pit mines of any kind,they produce lots of dollars over many years and basically have a small footprint because they stay in one spot,now clear cut logging on the other hand is way more damaging to the environment.

You guys probably moved past this already, but what you claim is flat out impossible. "As close to original as possible" is not close enough at all. If chantrelles grew there before, they sure won't grow there after. Not unless someone has found a way to grow chanterelles in the past five years. I just checked, they haven't.

The same is true of the vast majority of fungi, which are generally far more important than one would imagine. I've been to these reclaimed areas. They are often a wasteland of parasitic and poisonous fungi. Few people realize just how important mushrooms are for an ecology. Mostly because they are almost entirely invisible except after rains, when most people don't go out into the wet woods. These mushrooms are not the signs of a healthy forest.

The forest never comes back the same. We don't have the technology and we don't have the know how. Nor do we have the money to spend doing that even if we could. We do what we can because it is better than nothing. But hold no illusions, it is not good enough. What might look like a dumpy old forest is always better than what we might be able to replace it with.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Since 1967 eh? That is 32 years ago. When did you go to the N.W.T.? Hard core environuts? Let's just let these wonderful oil companies make their own rules...Remember the dollar fifty a litre gas? :roll::roll::roll::roll:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
They pick up concentrations that are very low so better safe then sorry,shows the equipment is working right and if it was a big blowout you wouldnt have time to do anything anyways.

How many peeps have died from sour gas in Alberta the last 5 years?
Probably more have died from lightning strikes.
Does someone have to die in order for sour gas to have shown any damage? Our friend didn't die from his car crash either, but he can't walk.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Except now it's going right to the oilsands.;-)
This spring they were cutting up welded pipe that was ready to go in the ground and shipping it elsewhere.Hopefully it gets going again full speed.
Peachy. There's no possibilities for leaks if it gets going again.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You guys probably moved past this already, but what you claim is flat out impossible. "As close to original as possible" is not close enough at all. If chantrelles grew there before, they sure won't grow there after. Not unless someone has found a way to grow chanterelles in the past five years. I just checked, they haven't.

The same is true of the vast majority of fungi, which are generally far more important than one would imagine. I've been to these reclaimed areas. They are often a wasteland of parasitic and poisonous fungi. Few people realize just how important mushrooms are for an ecology. Mostly because they are almost entirely invisible except after rains, when most people don't go out into the wet woods. These mushrooms are not the signs of a healthy forest.

The forest never comes back the same. We don't have the technology and we don't have the know how. Nor do we have the money to spend doing that even if we could. We do what we can because it is better than nothing. But hold no illusions, it is not good enough. What might look like a dumpy old forest is always better than what we might be able to replace it with.
Good point.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Since 1967 eh? That is 32 years ago. When did you go to the N.W.T.? Hard core environuts? Let's just let these wonderful oil companies make their own rules...Remember the dollar fifty a litre gas? :roll::roll::roll::roll:

actually Juan, that was 42 years ago and Kakato wasnt even near his teens yet.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

This is exactly my point. Every single human designed ecosystem is going to be lower in biodiversity than it was before it was disturbed. The fact that these morons in industry think that reshaping the landscape so as to even out topography, or making it possible to grow grass where forests stood, is proof that when they say make it better, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

I think I made this point a while back, which Kakato and kryptic skipped past. If you don't have species richness indices to compare, and have no comparison for before and after nutrient cycling, then the rest is all hand waiving. Especially if they expect the native species to repopulate the area, with similar population relationships.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
This is exactly my point. Every single human designed ecosystem is going to be lower in biodiversity than it was before it was disturbed. The fact that these morons in industry think that reshaping the landscape so as to even out topography, or making it possible to grow grass where forests stood, is proof that when they say make it better, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

I think I made this point a while back, which Kakato and kryptic skipped past. If you don't have species richness indices to compare, and have no comparison for before and after nutrient cycling, then the rest is all hand waiving. Especially if they expect the native species to repopulate the area, with similar population relationships.

Most people never notice the honey mushrooms until the tree hits their house in a powerful wind storm. I would knock on people's doors to warn them, but most people wouldn't listen and some might call the cops.