U.S. ambassador in Alberta to learn about oilsands

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I'm not a fan of big oil either so if anyone thinks im lobbying for them,give your head a shake.

I just know what has to be done as far as due diligence gos concerning the environment.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'm not a fan of big oil either so if anyone thinks im lobbying for them,give your head a shake.

I just know what has to be done as far as due diligence gos concerning the environment.
Aaaahh. An expert. Can you give us a detailed plan then?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
What difference does it make why?

Want to get back to the subject now?
Just wondering if your going to pump your crap into the ocean while the rest of the world visits.

And if environmental laws are off topic then forgive me but Im trying to show you that Alberta's are stricter then B.C.'s.
Therefore it only stands to reason that B.C. is polluting much more then Albertas oilsands.

So why are we being pidgonholed as the bad environmentalists?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Aaaahh. An expert. Can you give us a detailed plan then?
Not an expert but It was my head and wallet on the block if someone broke a regulation I signed a permit for and the fines werent cheap.A couple dead fish can have you in court for 2 years and fines that would bankrupt most peeps.
I dont know what kind of a plan your looking for,shell and syncrude both have theirs posted on their site.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
One fish?:roll:

One prey item that multiple fish utilize. Do you think they sampled all of the food web? That's why they called it a "test" species. If one invertebrate is impaired, there's a very good chance that many others are as well.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
One prey item that multiple fish utilize. Do you think they sampled all of the food web? That's why they called it a "test" species. If one invertebrate is impaired, there's a very good chance that many others are as well.
The government and universities all did studys on the fish and said no contamination except for whats normal from leeching,the fish were actually worse upstream from the oilsands.
I know from experience that theres one hell of a lot of monitoring going on.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
A couple dead fish can have you in court for 2 years and fines that would bankrupt most peeps.

Probably the worst thing you can do in Alberta is kill a fish.

A town in our municipality is having difficulties with drainage as there is a slough on the edge of town that causes flooding when there is a heavy rain. The municipality would like to dig out one side of the slough so that it can hold more water but alas, Alberta Environment's concern for the birds have prevented this so flooded basements will continue.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Just wondering if your going to pump your crap into the ocean while the rest of the world visits.
Well, stick your query into one of the Oly threads or the BC forum, then.

And if environmental laws are off topic then forgive me but Im trying to show you that Alberta's are stricter then B.C.'s.
Therefore it only stands to reason that B.C. is polluting much more then Albertas oilsands.
One does not necessarily lead to the other. Can you show where raw sewage is worse than leaked oil on habitat?

So why are we being pidgonholed as the bad environmentalists?
Not just AB. But this thread is about AB and AB has a hand in spreading oil around. Oil is proven to be bad. If it was left alone it would not cause the amount of damage it has.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
We are.

Victoria, BC, Plans to Stop Dumping Raw Sewage in the Ocean

Ferry sewage won't be left out in the ocean anymore - Headlines - News - News1130 - ALL NEWS RADIO

What is AB doing about its wastes? What is it doing about sour gas leaks? What is it doing about contamination of rivers?

blah blah blah

This is just more sidetracking from the problem and you are still saying , "They do it so we can, too.":roll:

What rivers?
What sour gas leaks?
Which wastes? I have piles of books on this stuff,you cant just dump anything anywhere anymore,if its contaminated it go's to the Hazerdous waste plant.
I live right smack in the middle of the most poisonous concentrated sour gas fields in the world and in 30 years there has never been a leak.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Not just AB. But this thread is about AB and AB has a hand in spreading oil around. Oil is proven to be bad. If it was left alone it would not cause the amount of damage it has.

And here I thought this thread was about the enviro damage the oilsands supposedly created,now I see it's just an Alberta thing,thanks for clearing that up for me.;-)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The government and universities all did studys on the fish and said no contamination except for whats normal from leeching,the fish were actually worse upstream from the oilsands.
I know from experience that theres one hell of a lot of monitoring going on.

You obviously did not read the report you posted. They concluded no such thing. They made similar conclusions to the university study that I referenced. That's a Queen's University researcher.

The claims you make are flatly at odds with the poorly referenced report you use. I call it poorly referenced because they don't indicate which actual study found what in the body of the report.

If there were no discharges allowed, the report would not have recommendations like:

• A goal of zero discharge should be pursued.
  • If zero discharge is not immediately attainable, then time lines should be established.
  • A moratorium or reduction on input should be put into place until we better understand causes of river problems.
  • There should be a cap on all expansion or additional loadings until we know more.
  • We need to work towards a closed loop system.
  • Pollution prevention should be a guiding principle.
  • This is a good news study which shows industry's willingness to use the newest technology toreduce negative impacts on the river system.
  • Municipalities should find ways to lower discharge. Governments should provide infrastructure support.
Yup. Look at that last one... The tax payers should be paying for companies to clean up their act. That's bull sh!t.

The monitoring they advise clearly indicates that what you say is one hell of a lot, is not adequate.

Your argument's are bull sh!t. I don't give a crap what supposed expertise you have. It's flatly at odds with the very reports you cite as your evidence.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
And here I thought this thread was about the enviro damage the oilsands supposedly created,now I see it's just an Alberta thing,thanks for clearing that up for me.;-)
You turned it into an AB thing when you said BC pollutes.
Besides, if the oil sands aren't part of AB where are they? Or has AB shed any responsibility for what is in AB?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Theres some old pipelines around built in 1959 that need to be replaced,Alberta has more pipe under the ground then we do roads and we have lots of roads.
With the recession you get this.
Smith said the pipeline, built in 1959, was last inspected in January.
Rachel Notley, Alberta's NDP environment critic, slammed the provincial government for a shortage of pipeline inspectors.
"Alberta has 392,000 kilometres of pipeline and only 85 inspectors," Notley said in a news release Monday. "That means each inspector is in charge of a stretch of pipe that could reach from Edmonton to Florida."

I'm one of those 85:cool:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What rivers?
What sour gas leaks?
Which wastes? I have piles of books on this stuff,you cant just dump anything anywhere anymore,if its contaminated it go's to the Hazerdous waste plant.
I live right smack in the middle of the most poisonous concentrated sour gas fields in the world and in 30 years there has never been a leak.
roflmao Never been a leak in 30 years? 2007 & 2008 were more than 30 years ago?

CBC News - Calgary - Sour gas leak evacuates southern Alberta homes

Family allowed to fight sour gas decision

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You obviously did not read the report you posted. They concluded no such thing. They made similar conclusions to the university study that I referenced. That's a Queen's University researcher.

The claims you make are flatly at odds with the poorly referenced report you use. I call it poorly referenced because they don't indicate which actual study found what in the body of the report.

If there were no discharges allowed, the report would not have recommendations like:

• A goal of zero discharge should be pursued.
  • If zero discharge is not immediately attainable, then time lines should be established.
  • A moratorium or reduction on input should be put into place until we better understand causes of river problems.
  • There should be a cap on all expansion or additional loadings until we know more.
  • We need to work towards a closed loop system.
  • Pollution prevention should be a guiding principle.
  • This is a good news study which shows industry's willingness to use the newest technology toreduce negative impacts on the river system.
  • Municipalities should find ways to lower discharge. Governments should provide infrastructure support.
Yup. Look at that last one... The tax payers should be paying for companies to clean up their act. That's bull sh!t.

The monitoring they advise clearly indicates that what you say is one hell of a lot, is not adequate.​

Your argument's are bull sh!t. I don't give a crap what supposed expertise you have. It's flatly at odds with the very reports you cite as your evidence.​

Those municipal discharges are treated,not raw sewage or industrial waste.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Theres some old pipelines around built in 1959 that need to be replaced,Alberta has more pipe under the ground then we do roads and we have lots of roads.
With the recession you get this.

I'm one of those 85:cool:
I'm thrilled to meet such a hero.