Need a Camp Job in Alberta

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
No problem. I hope that you will decide to stick around and check everything else out at CC. It is a really good site and has a lot of friendly people.:smile:

I hope you are able to find a job somewhere.:smile:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm in Regina (SK) and I've got guys (in Edmonton) calling me, looking for work,
'cuz the pick'n are slim in the patch right now. I normally don't get these calls until
around break-up when the road restriction go up. Must be pretty ugly right now.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm in Regina (SK) and I've got guys (in Edmonton) calling me, looking for work,
'cuz the pick'n are slim in the patch right now. I normally don't get these calls until
around break-up when the road restriction go up. Must be pretty ugly right now.

Well, I notice oil prices are starting to inch upward. Funny how that works, when oil was $30 a barrel, there was lots of jobs, but I guess the oil they are getting now is harder to get at. Any other reasons??????????????????????

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeha i guess so hey i have no idea wtf i wasd thinking! thanks...

Stick around and post a bit... once you've got your PM up and running, I'm sure there are lots of members here who'd be willing to shoot you off some info on different companies to look into. Welcome to the site.:smile:

LabourFeen03

Jun 27, 2009
Looking for A camp job

Hard worker from regina looking for any labourer work live in camp jobs. Was told from a recent employer that the pay is good told to look into firefighting in alberta also alot about fort mcmurray

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, I notice oil prices are starting to inch upward. Funny how that works, when oil was $30 a barrel, there was lots of jobs, but I guess the oil they are getting now is harder to get at. Any other reasons??????????????????????
No where left to drill in AB that is economically feasible.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Drilling is down 60% or more in Alberta and big companies like Encanna have slashed exploration and drill budgets.
You can get a camp job if you have skills in the energy industry but the picking are slim right now.
Cold lake weapons range has quite a few big camps that house all kind of peeps drilling,driving truck or other rig or plant stuff on the range.
I hate those big camps,give me a 40 man camp any day.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Camp jobs

Here's some advice for anyone wanting a camp job from me,anyone else please share your experiences with camp life as I allways find it interesting.

If you want to work in a remote camp you can allways apply to heli drilling outfits like Boart Longyear,they do remote core drilling for gold and other minerals and diamonds all over the world,thats remote though and mostly fly in only and you will be crapping in a pail but the food is usually awesome and flights paid to and from the site and you will see parts of Canada not many else will see.
Hospitals can be 5000 miles away though and a ground blizzard can have you stuck in camp for weeks so you cant have an attitude and the peeps your with depend on you as you them for survival.
These are generally 20 to 50 guys depending on how many drills they have drilling.
The small camps tend to be more friendly and folks actually sit and chat with each other.
The last camp I was at was at Cold lake weapons range,about 400 folks to each camp,very cold and impersonal,you had to flash a facial recognition security card just to get into the kitchen and get a meal but I had my own shack so I only went there for take out.
The selection there was also awesome and it was like walking through a deli,my shack there had 2 televisions and dvd players,nice couch,huge desk,basically an oil patch 60 foot trailer divided in 2.
Cool place to work,f15's flying over your head all the time,scaring the **** out of me.

Back to the remote camps,The cook that I have worked on and off in the Arctic the last 4 years with is kinda famous,in the book the Barrenlands(about the peeps prospecting for Canada's first diamond mines)she is the cook mentioned,she is well known all over the arctic and can speak many dialects of Inuktitut and lives in Saskatchewan when not in camp.
She is one of my best friends and also wont work in a camp after it hits 45 peeps like me so my point is the small camps can be very enjoyable where as the big ones can just leave you wanting to go home.

Small camps everyone chips in,a chopperload of groceries comes in and everyone starts packing in boxes.

If the Arctic exploration camp I managed last year gets a budget from the investors in Vancouver I'll be back at discovery camp north of Rankin inlet in a few weeks.There's still 6 feet of ice on the lake there.:cool:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
One more of my 70 vid's I did up there that didnt get deleted because I used a Mick Jagger tune on it.
This was mostly from 2 years ago at meadowbank which is a full blown gold mine now,me and 5 other guys built the airstrip and fuel farm pads and hauled sand over an ice road for the cement to build the mine for about 2 years,It took 24 hours of straight flying to get to camp,Lethbridge to Calgary,to Edmonton,Yellowknife,Rankin inlet,Baker lake and a 30 minute chopper ride into camp.
Or Calgary to winnipeg and Churchill,thompson,Whale cove,all the stops along the west side of hudsons bay on calm air which was anything but calm.
There's bison,the Nuna camps as we flew along Nunavuts longest road being built,blizzards,sundogs,bush planes,Arctic fox and a few blasts we did along the end of the airstrip.
Enjoy and crank your speaker's.

EDIT-At the start of the vid you will see the otter landing on the taxi way after a failed attempt on the main runway due to crosswinds,they gave him **** and he parked his plane and went home for a day,meant I had to go back to the hotel.

YouTube - Just another day at the office

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Mikey

Aug 29, 2009
Iam looking for a job as a labour on the rigs or camps if u can please help me i need to make good money as i have a wife and three kids iam a hard worker and am will to learn anything i live here in Alberta i just dont know where to start i got layed of at work and being on next to nothing doesnt help with three kids

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
Most all jobs in Alberta have dried up. Even the fort is laying off hundreds. Construction companies are now bidding ridiculously low for jobs in Saskatchewan just to keep their guys working. Alberta is not the place to go if you are looking for work. It will not pick up again until the price per barrel rises again and I mean rises back to the $100 mark.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Considering were more of a gas then oil province I would say it wont get better untill natural gas prices rise,right now they are at a 7 year low.
I have mega contacts all throughout Alberta in the oil,gas,construction and other industrys and rates have been cut for everyone.
Even the exploration gold camp I was at in the arctic last year ony did one months drilling instead of the usual 4 months this summer.

tazblack

Aug 30, 2009
looking for a camp in fort mcmurray ,managers name is deborah ? if someone could please help me find her number it would be greatly appreciated.

bambi_2009

Aug 28, 2009
BC
Hi Carrie,
Just left a note on your wall...am looking for a camp job, would like some help navigating thru things if you or anyone can help....thx...last thread says jobs dried up...if it's a dead end...please let me know...need a real job to secure dreams, not into chasing a dream job, if they're gone...thx bambi

striiing

Sep 23, 2009
jobs

thinking of working in canada for 12 moths. always been interested in oil riggers jobs because of the work patterns. i'm a vehicle body builder, steel/aluminium fabricator and mig welder but would try anything. is there much work in canada/worldwide in oil rig work and would i be of any use? thanks to anyone who replys.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta
Patch is almost dead, worse than I have seen it in my 10 years, a few smaller companies are still kicking along, but it surely is not 'busy'. That doesn't just go for me but a lot of people I know as well, from truckers to equipment operators, consultants and rig hands. Alberta really sucks atm ... even the Alberta Govn't isn't hiring...

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Alberta has slowed right down,most so called stimulus money has gone into infrastructure like water and sewer upgrades,i'm emberrassed to say where the rest went according to the flyer my mp sent me.
1/4 million dollars to our quad club for trails? Thats stimulus money?
It put one guy with a mini hoe and a brusher into some real easy money,another waste.
If I sound bitter its because I am,self employed and with the energy sector tanking last year my company barely made any money as I tried furiuosly to work hourly when I could so I can be eligible for EI again.
I have the taxman asking why I had no payroll last year,then fineing me because my accountant filed late.They assesed me,sent me a bill which I paid,reassessed me and sent me a cheque,then fined me $400.00:roll:

I dont know what part of no work in Alberta's energy industry they dont understand.
I got lucky the last month and scored over a months work with Altalink as they replaced some of the ageing powerpole structures but that finished yesterday so today I'll be on the phone with all my contacts and will have a better picture on whats out there for work.

Been paying into EI since 1978 but still cant apply for it yet the government can continually tax my ass off and take what little savings I have left.

I'm not usually an NDP supporter but if Jack can change the EI so that it starts helping the people that earned it and need it now then I'll shake his hand.

This Alberta stimulus package,from what I can see theres a lot of back room deals going on for this cash,vote buying and the ol boys network hard at work.

Untill the gas and oil prices rise theres going to be lots of empty camps in the province,maybe next year will be better but this years done as far as exploration or new projects are concerned.