What's your opinion on United States Of America?

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
*must hold in laughter that Americans experience whenever Canadians say or do something that seems like the stereotype*

I apologize. It's an involuntary reaction.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Confession: I've intentionally, and somewhat bitterly, played dumb American before. It's easy. You just say something like, "Andorra. Oh yeah, you mean the mother-in-law from 'Bewitched'. Right? That is right, right?".

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I defend the USA on the charge of being uneducated on the basis that the only real acceptable standards of comparing the intelligence of countries that I know of are those international student surveys such as the PISA survey and the USA does okay on them. Not the best, but okay.

All the other ways of judging intelligence (ie asking people questions on the street) is anecdotal.

That comment I made was merely a joke... tis all in good fun. But that wasn't the best way to start off an argument if one was to argue being the best in just about everything ;-)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

OK, everybody whippem out...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
All quotes from Praxius...

I'm surprised nobody else decided to rip this to shreds yet, so I guess I'll step up to the plate.....

But before I begin, for the record, I'm not going to say the US is the worst country ever, nor would that be what I'm about to imply. The US has many things going for it, but as it goes for any country being the "Best" or "Greatest" is subjective and a matter of opinion in most cases.

Now....

Dead on.

Right off the bat, apparently the US's education system isn't the greatest ever, based on that sentence alone.

Well, not their school system, anyway....perhaps their post-secondary, if you can afford it.....

A good life perhaps, but not the best, and there are other countries in the world that offer more opportunities for the average citizen compared.... based on education, health coverage, job opportunities, personal privacy, etc.

The US provides an amazingly good life for the upper class, that's for sure... but for the ordinary citizen of the nation, based on the unemployment, crime, foreclosures on homes..... It's not horrible, but there's room to improve.

Exactly, although crime rate in the USA is not that bad, especially if you live outside the major inner cities...

So long as you're financially well off, white, not Muslim, not gay, have a passport to be allowed back into the country, etc. etc....

Now that I think is highly unfair............you have noticed the complexion of their President, haven't you? Not to mention his middle name. And I believe gays are free to be homosexual......and Muslims to be Muslim......

Compared to 3rd world countries and developing countries alone, you'd be correct in most cases, but many other developed nations provide equal and sometimes better services, support and protection for those in trade.

No doubt.

(Social equality) Now that's laughable, considering the racial profiling at airports and borders, the hate-on towards Muslims, gays, the French, and so on.

Well, I'd have pointed out the VAST gap between rich and poor in the nation.......before I broke out laughing......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy
List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ The US is in 38th place..... Canada is in 11th place.... hell Cuba and Cyprus beat the US and the US is only a couple of spots above Kuwait.

Thank you Praxius, you saved me the trouble.

Really? Tell that to those seeking same sex marriage, or the slaves who fled the US to Canada, or the woman who weren't even allowed to vote until 1920 in the US, which Canada allowed the year prior as just a few examples..... Usually the US was one of the last to act.

Now that's a little unfair........a year for women's suffrage is nothing to get all superior about........and I believe he is talking about NOW, not 100 years ago.....

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

Gentle foreign policy??? No other reply possible, and I support much of their foreign policy.......

You don't get out much do you?

:)

and VIRTUOUS??? Gimme a break!!!!

one of the highest amount of gun related homicides in the world, where the US is only beaten out by Colombia and Guatemala.....

(Source: Gun violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Now, you didn't REALLY think I was going to let you get away with THAT did you??????

The use of "gun related" homicide statistics is a misleading propaganda tactic used to con the stupid into believing that the very presence of firearms is a causation of homicide.

The facts, of course, tell a different tale.

The HOMICIDE rate in the USA is 5.4 per 100,000.........the rates in Columbia and Guatemala are 36.0 and 45.0 per 100,000 respectively..........and they both enjoy strict gun control.......

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States is a relatively safe place to live.......

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That comment I made was merely a joke... tis all in good fun. But that wasn't the best way to start off an argument if one was to argue being the best in just about everything ;-)

The thing is that I believe the Original Poster is from Mexico.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
*must hold in laughter that Americans experience whenever Canadians say or do something that seems like the stereotype*

I apologize. It's an involuntary reaction.

That's ok.... we do the same thing towards people from the US over many more things.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." ~ Bush.... Former Leader of the Free World *snickers*

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So long as you're financially well off, white, not Muslim, not gay, have a passport to be allowed back into the country, etc. etc....

This is garbage.

Now that's laughable, considering the racial profiling at airports and borders, the hate-on towards Muslims, gays, the French, and so on.

List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ The US is in 38th place..... Canada is in 11th place.... hell Cuba and Cyprus beat the US and the US is only a couple of spots above Kuwait.

Canada Life Expectancy- 80
USA Life Expectancy- 78

Wow...what a disparity. Gramma and Granpa get to spend two extra years in the wheel chair or assisted living in Canada.

Really? Tell that to those seeking same sex marriage, or the slaves who fled the US to Canada, or the woman who weren't even allowed to vote until 1920 in the US, which Canada allowed the year prior as just a few examples..... Usually the US was one of the last to act.

Wow...you guys were really ahead of the curve. 1 whole year.