What's your opinion on United States Of America?

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
My experience of the conversation between average Canadian and average American:

C: "I'm from Canada."
A: "Can I ask you a question?"
C: "As long as it's not about 'eh'."

A: "Okay, nevermind."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
My experience of the conversation between average Canadian and average American:

C: "I'm from Canada."
A: "Can I ask you a question?"
C: "As long as it's not about 'eh'."

A: "Okay, nevermind."

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Do you think its the greatest nation ever?
Do this nation offer more land better living conditions that any other country in the world?
what do you think?
No, I don't think it's the greatest nation ever. If it was it wouldn't have the amount of homeless, crime, disparity between rich and poor, dopes like Bush and malicious bastards like Cheney running it, etc. It's a country. It has its good points and bad points.
I think Costa Rica, Denmark, etc. are better simply because their populations are happier than others.

http://www.neweconomics.org/projects/happy-planet-index

Costa Rica Ranks Highest on Global Happiness Index | EcoSalon

The United States of America forme is the greatest nation in the world!

I suppose that makes me arrogant, but none can compare to the USA, even with all her faults. Now let's get to work fixing the problems we do have :D
That's an opinion.
Is the US population the happiest in the world? No.
Is the US the country most responsible in how it treats the planet it's on? No.
Does it mind its own business and benefit all the other countries it deals with? No.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Yes, it's true. Americans have a somewhat ignorant curiosity about Canada.

I know it's hard to believe.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I'm surprised nobody else decided to rip this to shreds yet, so I guess I'll step up to the plate.....

But before I begin, for the record, I'm not going to say the US is the worst country ever, nor would that be what I'm about to imply. The US has many things going for it, but as it goes for any country being the "Best" or "Greatest" is subjective and a matter of opinion in most cases.

Now....

Things america is the Greatest country ever!

Right off the bat, apparently the US's education system isn't the greatest ever, based on that sentence alone.

1.America provides an amazingly good life for the ordinary guy.:

A good life perhaps, but not the best, and there are other countries in the world that offer more opportunities for the average citizen compared.... based on education, health coverage, job opportunities, personal privacy, etc.

The US provides an amazingly good life for the upper class, that's for sure... but for the ordinary citizen of the nation, based on the unemployment, crime, foreclosures on homes..... It's not horrible, but there's room to improve.

2.America offers more opportunity and social mobility than any other country, including the countries of Europe

So long as you're financially well off, white, not Muslim, not gay, have a passport to be allowed back into the country, etc. etc....

3.Work and trade are respectable in America, which is not true elsewhere

Compared to 3rd world countries and developing countries alone, you'd be correct in most cases, but many other developed nations provide equal and sometimes better services, support and protection for those in trade.

4.America has achieved greater social equality than any other society

Now that's laughable, considering the racial profiling at airports and borders, the hate-on towards Muslims, gays, the French, and so on.

5.People live longer, fuller lives in America

List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ The US is in 38th place..... Canada is in 11th place.... hell Cuba and Cyprus beat the US and the US is only a couple of spots above Kuwait.

6.In America the destiny of the young is not given to them but created by them

Now that's a bit of an odd statement since Destiny is supposed to be something already predetermined.

7.America has gone further than any other society in establishing equality of rights

Really? Tell that to those seeking same sex marriage, or the slaves who fled the US to Canada, or the woman who weren't even allowed to vote until 1920 in the US, which Canada allowed the year prior as just a few examples..... Usually the US was one of the last to act.

8.America has found a solution to the problem of religious and ethnic conflict that continues to divide and terrorize much of the world

Now if this whole argument was restricted to comparing the US to 3rd world countries, many of these things would be accurate..... however from my perspective, there are many other Western/Developed nations in the world that have far less divisions in their society compared to the US over the above.

America has the kindest, gentlest foreign policy of any great power in world history

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

Do as we say, do what we want, or we'll unload sanctions all over your arse, or put up a blockade, or even better, invade and replace your government.... Righty-o.

9.America, the freest nation on earth, is also the most virtuous nation on earth.

You don't get out much do you?

10.America is just the Greatest Nation ever!

If you say so.

I'm not about to say Canada is the greatest nation ever, nor would I say any other nation in the world is the greatest in the world.... simply because I know better. Every nation has their faults and their benefits..... which all make each nation great in some aspects, yet horrible in others.

If this was the late 1940's or even 50's, I might have agreed with you that the US was one of, if not the, greatest nation in the world.... but in the last few decades, the US has kinda gone down the drain in my opinion.

The World's largest debt, the only western nation that has no form of universal health care for its citizens, one of the highest, if not the highest amount of assassinated and attempted assassinations of leaders of any western/developed nation... one of the highest amount of gun related homicides in the world, where the US is only beaten out by Colombia and Guatemala.....

(Source: Gun violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

.... I would suspect you either started this topic to try and stir up crap, or just completely ignorant.... either way, thanks for the entertainment.

Don't forget... you asked. :lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
hahaha, a punishment worse then death. :-?
No, that ungabunga, as doled out by Bubba down the way. You know who I'm talking aboot. The big tattooed Eskeemoo in the Igloo at the end of our one road. You know who I'm talking aboot eh?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'm surprised nobody else decided to rip this to shreds yet, so I guess I'll step up to the plate.....
I thought about it, but decided it wasn't worth the effort because it was so ridiculous.

But before I begin, for the record, I'm not going to say the US is the worst country ever, nor would that be what I'm about to imply. The US has many things going for it, but as it goes for any country being the "Best" or "Greatest" is subjective and a matter of opinion in most cases.

Now....

Right off the bat, apparently the US's education system isn't the greatest ever, based on that sentence alone.

A good life perhaps, but not the best, and there are other countries in the world that offer more opportunities for the average citizen compared.... based on education, health coverage, job opportunities, personal privacy, etc.

The US provides an amazingly good life for the upper class, that's for sure... but for the ordinary citizen of the nation, based on the unemployment, crime, foreclosures on homes..... It's not horrible, but there's room to improve.

So long as you're financially well off, white, not Muslim, not gay, have a passport to be allowed back into the country, etc. etc....

Compared to 3rd world countries and developing countries alone, you'd be correct in most cases, but many other developed nations provide equal and sometimes better services, support and protection for those in trade.

Now that's laughable, considering the racial profiling at airports and borders, the hate-on towards Muslims, gays, the French, and so on.

List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ The US is in 38th place..... Canada is in 11th place.... hell Cuba and Cyprus beat the US and the US is only a couple of spots above Kuwait.

Now that's a bit of an odd statement since Destiny is supposed to be something already predetermined.

Really? Tell that to those seeking same sex marriage, or the slaves who fled the US to Canada, or the woman who weren't even allowed to vote until 1920 in the US, which Canada allowed the year prior as just a few examples..... Usually the US was one of the last to act.

Now if this whole argument was restricted to comparing the US to 3rd world countries, many of these things would be accurate..... however from my perspective, there are many other Western/Developed nations in the world that have far less divisions in their society compared to the US over the above.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

Do as we say, do what we want, or we'll unload sanctions all over your arse, or put up a blockade, or even better, invade and replace your government.... Righty-o.

You don't get out much do you?

If you say so.

I'm not about to say Canada is the greatest nation ever, nor would I say any other nation in the world is the greatest in the world.... simply because I know better. Every nation has their faults and their benefits..... which all make each nation great in some aspects, yet horrible in others.

If this was the late 1940's or even 50's, I might have agreed with you that the US was one of, if not the, greatest nation in the world.... but in the last few decades, the US has kinda gone down the drain in my opinion.

The World's largest debt, the only western nation that has no form of universal health care for its citizens, one of the highest, if not the highest amount of assassinated and attempted assassinations of leaders of any western/developed nation... one of the highest amount of gun related homicides in the world, where the US is only beaten out by Colombia and Guatemala.....

(Source: Gun violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

.... I would suspect you either started this topic to try and stir up crap, or just completely ignorant.... either way, thanks for the entertainment.

Don't forget... you asked. :lol:
I appreciate your effort. :D

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
a little too young? jaaa! what do you mean by saying that?
well, you can come over here sir and ask every citizen if the things im saying are not true!

Hypothetically speaking, even if every single person in the US said their country is the greatest in the world or even history, I imagine just about every other nation in the world would say otherwise for one reason or another... chances are most wouldn't even name their own country, but another country, and if the US was so great, how come the entire planet hasn't decided to join the US to make one big happy and giant US, thus one big happy and great planet?

Your above statement is about the same as me saying I got the biggest penis in the world.... it's easy to compliment and brag about yourself, but what really makes what one says true is if everybody else besides you agrees with what you say and there's facts to back it up.

You think the US is the greatest country in the world.... fair enough, that's your opinion.... but for me personally, the US would be one of the last countries in the world I'd want to move to and live in.

And that's just my opinion.

I'd personally would rather move to the UK, Australia, or one of the many other European nations before I moved to the US..... sorry to say.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
No, that ungabunga, as doled out by Bubba down the way. You know who I'm talking aboot. The big tattooed Eskeemoo in the Igloo at the end of our one road. You know who I'm talking aboot eh?

I know all the eskimos in Toronto but I am not aware of the one you speak of. Perhaps he's hunting polar bears on the shores of Lake Ontario.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010

I defend the USA on the charge of being uneducated on the basis that the only real acceptable standards of comparing the intelligence of countries that I know of are those international student surveys such as the PISA survey and the USA does okay on them. Not the best, but okay.

All the other ways of judging intelligence (ie asking people questions on the street) is anecdotal.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Looking over that "list" again, it has to be parody, not even the most deluded of fools could believe such things?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I know all the eskimos in Toronto but I am not aware of the one you speak of. Perhaps he's hunting polar bears on the shores of Lake Ontario.
Oh ya, how could I forget that?

If you see him, let him know his dog team had to be eaten. It got cold and we couldn't get to the wigwam to get some food eh.