un freaking believable

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yup, why do you think that would be better or comparable?
Ummm, maybe you should turn off the comp and take a break, your emotional state is starting to cause you some issues...

You can say that again.

Besides the over abundance of underutilized space on Trenton, you have Borden to the north. With an even greater underutilization, decaying infrastructure and access to both local and short commute, civilian work force that could use the influx of funding more so than the heavily retiree populated area of Trenton.

Borden is further from a fairly active city center. Complete with full weapons ranges, airfield, ample space for expansion, and repairable infrastructure to support the prescribed forces requirements.

I'm not sure why Trenton would be the prime choice for this project.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Ummm, maybe you should turn off the comp and take a break, your emotional state is starting to cause you some issues...

I assumed your response was in reference to my post.

Trenton is the hub for all airlifts and easily accessible to the Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal areas.

The fact that Barrie and Base Borden are more of a **** hole and more remote don't really make sense as a response to that.

They have stated that they want them to be somewhere where they can respond rapidly, so Trenton definitely makes more sense in that category. As for the workforce, there are more than enough workers within commuting distance to serve this base.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Trenton is the hub for all airlifts and easily accessible to the Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal areas.
So you don't know where Borden is.

The fact that Barrie and Base Borden are more of a **** hole and more remote don't really make sense as a response to that.
Ummm, ok.

They have stated that they want them to be somewhere where they can respond rapidly, so Trenton definitely makes more sense in that category.
If you say so.

As for the workforce, there are more than enough workers within commuting distance to serve this base.
I was referring to the article inference that the local economy could use the influx of cash.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How do you figure?
You seem to think it's a considerable distance from Trenton.

By your logic every regiment in Canada should be stationed at Trenton.

That is one consideration, but really, what economy couldn't?
It was part of the sales pitch. The economy in the area surrounding Borden could use the cash more than a predominantly retiree based community.

The logistical/operational concerns need to come first.
I agree, which is why I suggested Borden, not 4 CAN DIV TC Meaford.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So a piece of land donated by the King in perpetuity back in 1798 has less strength in law than some treaties signed later?

Didn't the government of Canada agree to abide by and take on all agreements and responsibilities related to the Crown upon confederation?

I don't get it.

Except for any that might stop them doing as they please or give the people rights. The lack of force in the Magna Carta which has an entire clause dedicated to the 'perpetuity' of it is evidence enough enogh perpetual & forever only mean 'as long as convenient'. Unless you happen to be an indian...according to them perpetual really does mean forever in relation to them claiming money and land from the taxpayers.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Unless you happen to be an indian...according to them perpetual really does mean forever in relation to them claiming money and land from the taxpayers.
Only because you owe us sucka, lol.

Pay up biotch, daddy needs a new pair of mukluks, lol.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm going to bring up one more comparison here. In Calgary, the city and the province wanted to complete a ring road around the city of Calgary which would bypass the city center and speed up traffic considerably. The eastside north south corridor was no problem, however, the westside north south corridor would go through TsuTina land. Land given by the Crown to the Tsuu T'ina. The Tsuu T'ina, at first, refused to even consider selling. Expropriation was not an option.

Now, this gentleman was also deeded land to his family by the Crown. How is it the Government can just take from him, and the courts have found that the government can not "just take" from First Nations? ( and for those idiots that might not understand the difference between the Tsuu T'ina nationsland in this instance and the blockades and fights by First Nations over DISPUTED lands, look up the definition of disputed.)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It would seem to me that if the military really wanted a new playground for a special ops group they would want to be a LONG ways away from a major population area where it is easier to control both access and spying. I think someone has their own reasons for wanting these properties so badly. Could be as simple as senior management wants to live and play close to a major center.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
You seem to think it's a considerable distance from Trenton.

It is. 260km according to google maps. That is 260 km further away from the Ottawa and Montreal areas. It is really only convenient for access to Toronto.

By your logic every regiment in Canada should be stationed at Trenton.

No, it depends on what their purpose is. Joint Task Force 2 is an "elite special operations force of the Canadian Forces primarily tasked with counter-terrorism operations" so response time is more of an issue.

It was part of the sales pitch. The economy in the area surrounding Borden could use the cash more than a predominantly retiree based community.

I agree, which is why I suggested Borden, not 4 CAN DIV TC Meaford.

Well if the military is saying that Trenton is the best place, then clearly you are not putting operational and logistical considerations first. Building military bases in areas that are not idea is a pretty dumb way to stimulate the economy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It is. 260km according to google maps. That is 260 km further away from the Ottawa and Montreal areas. It is really only convenient for access to Toronto.
And almost completely irrelevant when you consider the fact that that distance is almost negligible in flight.

No, it depends on what their purpose is. Joint Task Force 2 is an "elite special operations force of the Canadian Forces primarily tasked with counter-terrorism operations" so response time is more of an issue.
Where is it billeted now?

Well if the military is saying that Trenton is the best place, then clearly you are not putting operational and logistical considerations first.
So everything the DND says is gospel?

Building military bases in areas that are not idea is a pretty dumb way to stimulate the economy.
Trenton doesn't have the space apparently, so obviously it isn't ideal.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
And almost completely irrelevant when you consider the fact that that distance is almost negligible in flight.

Well, no, since Trenton is the hub for all airlifts, so already being there is a clear time saver.

Where is it billeted now?

Near Ottawa.

So everything the DND says is gospel?

No, but why would you expect them to lie about why they want to be at Trenton?

Trenton doesn't have the space apparently, so obviously it isn't ideal.

They actually do have the land now.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well, no, since Trenton is the hub for all airlifts, so already being there is a clear time saver.
So the only benefit you have is time saving.

Awesome...

Trenton doesn't have the training facilities that Borden has.

So now we can add wasteful transportation costs and poor time management to the list of negatives. Since they'll have to be transported by expensive air, or by time consuming ground.

Near Ottawa.
It doesn't get any closer than that. Do you know why they wanted to move?

No, but why would you expect them to lie about why they want to be at Trenton?
Did I say lie? Maybe you should just read what I write.

I just don't take everything the DND says as gospel. There are a litany of errors in past DND brass judgment to support my opinion. And no, I won't be going on a Google hike for you.

They actually do have the land now.
At great cost to someone else. That isn't ideal.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
So the only benefit you have is time saving.

Awesome...

They are an elite counter terrorism unit. Clearly response time is a big consideration.

Trenton doesn't have the training facilities that Borden has.

So now we can add wasteful transportation costs and poor time management to the list of negatives. Since they'll have to be transported by expensive air, or by time consuming ground.

What on earth are you talking about? How else do you expect them to get around, teleportation?

Putting them up near Barrie, away from the main air life hub and major highways connecting large urban centers is a waste of time and money when you actually need them to respond to anything.

It doesn't get any closer than that. Do you know why they wanted to move?

Closer to what?

Did I say lie? Maybe you should just read what I write.

I just don't take everything the DND says as gospel. There are a litany of errors in past DND brass judgment to support my opinion. And no, I won't be going on a Google hike for you.

They may have failed to achieve their goals many times, but when they list their desires for a project like this, like being in a location where they can respond quickly, why would you question that?

At great cost to someone else. That isn't ideal.

It is unfortunate for the guy, but is that really reason to move 600+ people hundreds of kms away from where the military says they should be?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
They may have failed to achieve their goals many times, but when they list their desires for a project like this, like being in a location where they can respond quickly, why would you question that?

Ok, I keep hear this "respond quickly", respond quickly to where?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

Wherever they are needed. They are the country's elite counter terrorism unit, so that would take them a lot of different places.

Being stationed at the military's hub for airlifts and along a highway that provides them easy access to three of the top four most populous metro areas is about as good as you can get.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They are an elite counter terrorism unit. Clearly response time is a big consideration.
Never said it wasn't. But if it is that critical, why not expand where they are?

Since you made being close to Ottawa the focal point of your response time argument.

What on earth are you talking about? How else do you expect them to get around, teleportation?
Stupidity like that is why I treat you like I do.

Putting them up near Barrie, away from the main air life hub and major highways connecting large urban centers is a waste of time and money when you actually need them to respond to anything.
Ahhh yes, because they will be responding to terrorist attacks in Ottawa daily, at the very least more often than they train... 8O wow.

Closer to what?
Ottawa, you just said that, lol. Are you really having this much difficulty following along?

Because Borden is by far a better location.

It is unfortunate for the guy, but is that really reason to move 600+ people hundreds of kms away from where the military says they should be?
First you'd have to prove the military was right, and so far all you've come up with, is response times.

Apparently Ottawa. Far more often than they train as well.

Wherever they are needed. They are the country's elite counter terrorism unit, so that would take them a lot of different places.
So you admit close proximity to Ottawa and Montreal real isn't that important than. Good.

So they could just as easily be based in BC.

Being stationed at the military's hub for airlifts and along a highway that provides them easy access to three of the top four most populous metro areas is about as good as you can get.
For response times, which is what you rest your case on.

That's pretty weak, all things considered.

Last edited:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Never said it wasn't. But if it is that critical, why not expand where they are?

You want to build multiple bases for these guys rather than taking some of this guys land?

Since you made being close to Ottawa the focal point of your response time argument.

Ottawa, you just said that, lol. Are you really having this much difficulty following along?
Ahhh yes, because they will be responding to terrorist attacks in Ottawa daily, at the very least more often than they train... 8O wow.
Apparently Ottawa. Far more often than they train as well.
So you admit close proximity to Ottawa and Montreal real isn't that important than. Good.

Lol, can you point me to a post where I ever mentioned Ottawa as a focal point of this? I listed proximity to three large metro areas as benefits of the location.

First you'd have to prove the military was right, and so far all you've come up with, is response times.

For response times, which is what you're rest your case on.

That's pretty weak, all things considered.

You have to ask yourself, what is the point of having them to begin with? Why are they training?

The obvious answer is that they are there to be able to respond when needed.

So they could just as easily be based in BC.

Why would you put them out there when the hub for airlifts and the majority of our potential domestic targets are in the east?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You want to build multiple bases for these guys rather than taking some of this guys land?
Again, why not stick to what I type, and not your imagination.

BTW: They didn't take some, the took almost all of it.

Lol, can you point me to a post where I ever mentioned Ottawa as a focal point of this? I listed proximity to three large metro areas as benefits of the location.
That would be making Ottawa a focal point, albeit one thereof.

The obvious answer is that they are there to be able to respond when needed.
How often do you think they'll need to respond to Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa, since those were the cities you focused on.

Why would you put them out there when the hub for airlifts and the majority of our potential domestic targets are in the east?
I thought you said you knew where Borden was.

You do realize we have more than one fleet of helo's, C 130's and so on right? You do realize they won't be driving to Ottawa right?

Last edited: