un freaking believable

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I see no problem with this. The land is needed. It happens all the time.

The land isn't needed. it is wanted by a government department. Big difference. It is not like a highway than has to be straight or get to a particular destination. DND can use any old piece of land to play games on, they do not have to destroy valuable farm land just because it suits their fancy.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The land isn't needed. it is wanted by a government department. Big difference. It is not like a highway than has to be straight or get to a particular destination. DND can use any old piece of land to play games on, they do not have to destroy valuable farm land just because it suits their fancy.

It happens all the time. Bases, air bases take up a lot of space.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It happens all the time. Bases, air bases take up a lot of space.

My understanding is that this land isn't for another air base we don't need but rather a playground for their special forces team. There is planty of empty land around Cols Lake they can use for that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If people are not willing to sell land to the government then the government should use Crown Land. The vast majority of the country is Crown Land. There is more than enough of it. Yes, it may be in the middle of nowhere and be inconvenient to the government - so be it. No one should be forced to give up any property against their will. If people are willing to sell or give their land to the government, fine. If they arent for any price then the government should go elsewhere. Right now they dont have to and what they are doing is legal but it isnt right. That should change.

Unfortunately there is one tiny problem with this. Most of the land the Gov't. needs is for infrastructure, which is generally NOT needed in huge blocks of crown land.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
My understanding is that this land isn't for another air base we don't need but rather a playground for their special forces team. There is planty of empty land around Cols Lake they can use for that.
Is his land adjacent the base.
Is Cols Lake near the base.
Do you have a terrain map handy showing his farm?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

It sounds like they are building quite a large expansion to the facility, with a new base for Joint Task Force 2 as the centerpiece.

When determining where to build infrastructure like this, there are logistical and operational considerations that they have to take into account.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
I guess what we're looking at here is having them both training and billeted near an Airforce runway so they can be deployed rapidly whenever needed.

They're attempting to mitigate delay caused by moving them back from a training exercise to their billet to then gear up and then transport them to an airport to get them where they're needed ASAP. With this arrangement it would seem their training and billet would be adjacent to C130's and Herc's to rapidly deploy them.

I see the reasoning but once again Toronto ain't the center of the universe and Cold Lake could do just as well or is it their intent to have a segment of JTF2's training and stationed at every military airport? Comox, Gander, Goose Bay etc..??

This gent has the classic rock and hard place catch 22 going for him now. They're offering something related to assessed value for land I'm sure still zoned agriculture rather then commercial but they're intent is to use it for a commercial purpose. If they would agree to rezone and designate it commercial he'd probably be eligible for a much higher price. Problem now being one of; who would buy it from him now knowing the gubmint has it's eye on it and will undercut any new owners costs after purchase.

Not only does he desire to keep the land as family farm but he's essentially stuck with it, as his chances of selling it are zippo!

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I guess what we're looking at here is having them both training and billeted near an Airforce runway so they can be deployed rapidly whenever needed.

They're attempting to mitigate delay caused by moving them back from a training exercise to their billet to then gear up and then transport them to an airport to get them where they're needed ASAP. With this arrangement it would seem their training and billet would be adjacent to C130's and Herc's to rapidly deploy them.

I see the reasoning but once again Toronto ain't the center of the universe and Cold Lake could do just as well or is it their intent to have a segment of JTF2's training and stationed at every military airport? Comox, Gander, Goose Bay etc..??

This gent has the classic rock and hard place catch 22 going for him now. They're offering something related to assessed value for land I'm sure still zoned agriculture rather then commercial but they're intent is to use it for a commercial purpose. If they would agree to rezone and designate it commercial he'd probably be eligible for a much higher price. Problem now being one of; who would buy it from him now knowing the gubmint has it's eye on it and will undercut any new owners costs after purchase.

Not only does he desire to keep the land as family farm but he's essentially stuck with it, as his chances of selling it are zippo!

We have a large country with numerous high value and strategic facilities- Add up Nuke power alone- NB to Ont- the list is long and we have one base to respond with not a large number of trained troops.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The land isn't needed.
You can say that again.

Besides the over abundance of underutilized space on Trenton, you have Borden to the north. With an even greater underutilization, decaying infrastructure and access to both local and short commute, civilian work force that could use the influx of funding more so than the heavily retiree populated area of Trenton.

Borden is further from a fairly active city center. Complete with full weapons ranges, airfield, ample space for expansion, and repairable infrastructure to support the prescribed forces requirements.

I'm not sure why Trenton would be the prime choice for this project.

Last edited:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
You can say that again.

Besides the over abundance of underutilized space on Trenton, you have Borden to the north. With an even greater underutilization, decaying infrastructure and access to both local and short commute, civilian work force that could use the influx of funding more so than the heavily retiree populated area of Trenton.

Borden is further from a fairly active city center. Complete with full weapons ranges, airfield, ample space for expansion, and repairable infrastructure to support the prescribed forces requirements.

Well, do you think they are doing this for no reason?

Trenton is their hub for all airlifts and is close to some of the most populous areas in Canada, so it seems to make a lot of sense for those reasons.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lol, how on earth am I supposed to do that?

I can point you to the Expropriation Act for Ontario, in which the words "King" or "Queen" are not mentioned even a single time.

Expropriations Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. E.26

If you are going to argue that he is not subject to Ontario law, you are going to have to show us a reason why.
Why can't you prove your tripe? The Act you posted is valid for those of us without property rights.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The rest of the country pays an income tax as a 'freely given' gift to the Government to help keep the country in the 21st century. It comes under the theme of 'what benefits the most of the people in the area that also call it home'. If it has tracks going through the property is was an original homestead that got divided once already at Taxpayer expense (+ 2,000% via the robber barons of the time), they seem to have survived the 'ordeal' quite well.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well, do you think they are doing this for no reason?
Ummm, is it an emotional state that prevented you from understanding this...

Trenton is their hub for all airlifts and is close to some of the most populous areas in Canada, so it seems to make a lot of sense for those reasons.
Do you know where CFB Borden is?