The Power of Positive Thinking to Reverse Aging!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wouldn't it be easier to start life with a positive attitude instead of scrambling late in life because the person in the mirror looks nothing like the people on TV?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Thinking young, acting young, having a youthful outlook on life, works for me... plus daily exercise. For 52 I have no health problems, never get a cold, and just zing through life. I guess having a zest for life is the key to eternal youth.
I date men much younger than me.

Ohhhhhhhhhh how about a date? Nah, maybe wife would take a dim view.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Ohhhhhhhhhh how about a date? Nah, maybe wife would take a dim view.

Uh, I think she said she dates men younger than her! (I think we're both "safe" from the possibility of a date here)...:lol::lol::lol:

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
"How about Alchemy, do you think it is nonsense?"

In the sense that you are thinking, Yes, but if you look outside the box, there could be a lot of truth in it. Of course you can't turn straw into gold , literally speaking, but in a round about way you can. Flat earth? Works well for people who don't venture more than a few miles from home. Placebos are another thing that people turn their noses up at. People have known to be cure after taking them. It's what I call the "drug store mentality"- people who are just generally negative but they think some money can buy them some magic potion that cures all their ills. When they get the potion they are happy and when you are happy you forget about a lot of other crap. You might start doing cartwheels which gets the blood flowing, which gets oxygen to vital body parts. "Illness" is cured.

One of those vital body parts is the brain...

Which of course is an enigma to scientists. They can't even figure out how a brain actually works, yet there are lots of theories as to what it can or cannot do. But, a theory is nothing more than a "crackpot" statement or at very best, an opinion.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quoting JLM "How about Alchemy, do you think it is nonsense?"

In the sense that you are thinking, Yes, but if you look outside the box, there could be a lot of truth in it. Of course you can't turn straw into gold , literally speaking, but in a round about way you can. Flat earth? Works well for people who don't venture more than a few miles from home. Placebos are another thing that people turn their noses up at. People have known to be cure after taking them. It's what I call the "drug store mentality"- people who are just generally negative but they think some money can buy them some magic potion that cures all their ills. When they get the potion they are happy and when you are happy you forget about a lot of other crap. You might start doing cartwheels which gets the blood flowing, which gets oxygen to vital body parts. "Illness" is cured.

Which of course is an enigma to scientists. They can't even figure out how a brain actually works, yet there are lots of theories as to what it can or cannot do. But, a theory is nothing more than a "crackpot" statement or at very best, an opinion.
That is NOT alchemy at all. Not even close. There are some legends of trying to turn lead into gold but it goes far far far beyond that with the alchemist himself being the lead trying to bring himself in tunes with God. Gold is merely a metaphor for something that cannot be broken down by natural processes. It is God in the form of a mineral.

True alchemy is about purity of the mind and soul as symbolized by fire and the crucible.

A major chunk of the bible is alchemical.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Talloola, Couldn't agree with you more. A person believes what they believe, and it's really nobody else's business. Hell, we even have a Charter that guarantees our right to do just that. (Don't tell SirJP I said that, or he'll never let me live it down! :cool: )

I promise, I won't.

lol

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well, let's see if we can find that elusive bridge between the "fact" and the "insult"...I submit that at least some of the researchers (and certainly the fund-raising folks) for cancer research might feel a bit insulted that some layman could come along and say that their entire careers have been built on a fabrication of the truth - that a cure for cancer is possible.

Nothing of the sort, coutnryboy. Even a layman is allowed have opinions about expert subjects like cancer research, we have freedom of expression in this country. Nobody would take him seriously of course. But he is entitled to have an opinion, I don't see anybody being insulted by it.

I don't know why you think that a layman is not allowed to have an opinion on cancer research. Indeed, prolifers in USA think that all the money spent on sex education is wasted (they think that sex educators are the spawn of the Devil), they would like to get rid fo sex education in US schools. Should the sex educators feel insulted by it?

Or religious right in USA would like to abolish Department of Education, National Endowment of arts etc. Religious right thinks that these institutions are harmful, they promote non Biblican philosophy. Should educators, artists feel insulted by it?

We are allowed to have any opinon on a subject that we wish, nobody feels insulted by it. Now it you start insulting people personally, that is a different matter.

Taking it further, they might even think I was questioning their skills and credentials. After all, after the billions of dollars have been spent, people are still suffering and dying from cancer. So, lots of money and time expended, with no results.

Question away, that is your right. People question the credentials of experts all the time. If you have credibility, people will listen to you, if you lack credibility, people will ignore you.That is all part of the debate, part of the discussion.

You seem to have a misunderstanding as to what constitutes a legitimate debate. There must be no personal insults. Other than that, there are very few boundaries.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don't subscribe to your idea that having an open mind means "...one is receptive to different rational, logical ideas..." as that would mean I have pre-qualified any new or unfamiliar (to me) concepts as being "crackpot", to use your kind and thoughtful term.

Well, that is what I mean by open mind. If somebody comes up with a competing theory to the String Theory or Big Bang Theory, I will consider it seriously. If somebody comes to me and tells me that he can prove beyond doubt that we were created 5000 years ago in six days (or that moon is made of Swiss cheese), I will ignore him forthwith.

I do not have an open mind to metaphysics, superstition, paranormal, religion, spirituality and such nonsense.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Give it a rest SJP. You are not a stupid man and you know exactly where you became insulting. You have attested to being the one who doesn't do such things, for years now so why are you? Don't come back at me with a "show me where I was insulting".

We have has this discussion many times, VanIsle. You claim I insult people, I ask you 'show me', and you cannot show me. If I criticize a philosophy (conservatism, Christianity etc.) you interpret that to mean that I am insulting Conservatives, Christians etc.

We will continue to have the difference in perspective.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"How about Alchemy, do you think it is nonsense?"

In the sense that you are thinking, Yes, but if you look outside the box, there could be a lot of truth in it.

So you have no problem calling Alchemy 'nonsense'. Then how is that different from calling spirituality 'nonsense'? Or is one allowed to refer to Alchemy as nonsense but not to spirituality?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

And, that opinion, by a scientists can lead to a discovery.
They are very patient, very connected to detail, and need
to be accurate all the way, till they are either successful
or not, if not, start over again with a new approach.

They never 'just' latch onto an idea that seems 'neat' and
believe it till they die.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So you have no problem calling Alchemy 'nonsense'. Then how is that different from calling spirituality 'nonsense'? Or is one allowed to refer to Alchemy as nonsense but not to spirituality?
Didn't I just mention that a major chuck of Biblical text is Alchemical?

No wonder the more people pray the worse things get. They have no idea what spirituality is and have lost the ability to connect.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"we were created 5000 years ago in six days (or that moon is made of Swiss cheese), I will ignore him forthwith."

You should get your facts straight, it is green cheese- that is how rumours get started.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"we were created 5000 years ago in six days (or that moon is made of Swiss cheese), I will ignore him forthwith."

You should get your facts straight, it is green cheese- that is how rumours get started.

I have never quite followed the reference, what exactly is green cheese? I haven’t seen green cheese, have you?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
"The Power of Positive Thinking to Reverse Aging!"

One is only old if one thinks they are old.

BTW, the moon is not green, but at a distance it looks like it has holes in it. That is why people started saying it is made of Swiss cheese.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have never quite followed the reference, what exactly is green cheese? I haven’t seen green cheese, have you?

No, you'd have to go to the moon to see it, unless maybe Neil Armstrong brought back a chunk...............................:lol::lol::lol: