Riders 2014

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
OK, second half was kinda dull.

Tell you what. I saw a team that's got its problems 80% beat. O and D lines were both cast iron, DD got his passing rhythm on, and I think we've found someone to fill the hole Sheets left. One game don't mean a whole lot, but the performances were solid. Ford needs to understand his pass-blocking assignments better, and everybody needs to work on ball security.

This was a lot of fun. Mowich, thanks for turning me on to CFL again. It's a blast.

Both of you, thanks for your willingness to chat with a noob about the Riders. Makes it more fun. I can't find or make anybody hereabouts interested in CFL.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
OK, second half was kinda dull.

Tell you what. I saw a team that's got its problems 80% beat. O and D lines were both cast iron, DD got his passing rhythm on, and I think we've found someone to fill the hole Sheets left. One game don't mean a whole lot, but the performances were solid. Ford needs to understand his pass-blocking assignments better, and everybody needs to work on ball security.

This was a lot of fun. Mowich, thanks for turning me on to CFL again. It's a blast.

Both of you, thanks for your willingness to chat with a noob about the Riders. Makes it more fun. I can't find or make anybody hereabouts interested in CFL.

You are most welcome, Tec.............nice to have another Rider fan to talk to about our guys. Pretty well agree with your assessment of the team after the bye week. Ford had a good night but his real test will come against a team with similar defensive capabilities as ours - TO just couldn't muster any solid blocking which always helps the rushing game. I'm still hoping that Allen will settle in as I really like what I saw of him earlier in the season. It will be interesting to see how we do against Smilin' Hank and the Ottawa Redblacks on Saturday - for sure Hank will be looking for a win after that loss to the Ti-Cats.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the Riders take on the Redblacks. I'll be Shakespeareing (an activity in which, ironically, no spears are shaken). Hope to join the chat for the BBs.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The good news is we won and by a fair margin. Our team played well in all positions. DD threw for just under 300 yards - no interceptions and a TD. Tristan Jackson returned a 108 yard punt for a TD. In spite of being double-teamed for most of the night John Chick was in on a majority of the tackles. We now sit tied for first in the league in sacks. Getz, Bagg, Smith, Ford, Swain, Jackson............all had a great game.

The not so good news is that we had no opponent for all of the first half. Ottawa was pathetic. They did everything in their power to ensure the ball was going backward - penalty after penalty compounded by missed pass after missed pass - mind you some of those misses were due to great defensive effort on the part of our guys.

Lots to be happy with but I believe a real test of the teams' strengths and weaknesses will be next week when we meet the Bombers.

Rock on Riders - 38 to 14

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Bye bye Hank.

I don't put it all on Hank, petros. Sure some of his passes were way off the mark but when he was on, his receivers couldn't handle the ball or the contact with one of our defencemen. Ottawa just had no chance in the first half for sure against the strength of our defence or their own ineptitude - that being the inability to play clean and avoid penalties.

By the start of the second half, the game was all but done for the Redblacks. I was happy to see them at least get a TD albeit too late to matter - Ottawa fans were cheering all night long - good on them kind of reminds me of how we kept cheering for our guys back in the days when we couldn't win a game even if the opposition tried to give it to us.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
His throwing was terrible. Wobbly balls that receivers couldn't control on top of penalty frustration. Two TD TOs in the first few minutes did in his ego.

Ottawa fans were cheering all night long - good on them kind of reminds me of how we kept cheering for our guys back in the days when we couldn't win a game even if the opposition tried to give it to us.

I remember those days with chants of fans on the east side yelling "f-ck the other side" to those on the west side sitting under roof during rainstorms.

Ottawa fans were doing that last night. You could even hear the Rider fans in the crowd chanting "Hennnnnnnnnnry Hennnnnnnnry".

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Win's a win. I'll take it. But I agree that winning against a poor team doesn't say much. I'm glad the guys showed strong, but we'll have to see how it goes when they face the Bombers in Winnipeg.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
What the heck did I just watch. With all the penalties we took we should have had at least two more TDs on the board. Where was the offense? Thank the powers that be for Jerome Messan. He saved our butts along with some great defence and STs plays. Was really hoping for a solid all-round effort from the team. Still don't know if they have what it takes to win a game without sheer good luck and timing. Thanks heavens for the win, we need the points but this team seriously needs to shape up and stay clean on the field. Kudos to John Chick for doing so and again making a big difference in the outcome of the game.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You just saw the CFL look like the NFL.

I enjoy a good defensive game ..........from time to time and this one provided that. What I don't like to see is the breakdown in team discipline - 17 penalties for a total of 173 yards is unacceptable. Just two games ago, we were the least penalized team in the league. About time we got back to that, right smartly.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The rivalry lead to penalties. I wagered against WPG kin folk so it was an extra good win.

Hope it was enough to pay for your trip. I looked for you each time the camera panned the stands but never got lucky. :smile:

Given that Montreal sits in the basement of the Eastern Conference and has only a single victory to their credit this season, I think that the outcome of Saturday's game against the Riders is a forgone conclusion. The Al's woes will only be compounded when they are faced with the beloved fans of Rider Nation, who after three straight wins by their team are ready to roar!

I've watched every game Montreal's been in this season and they still aren't able to field a team. They send out a bunch of players who are trying, in most cases to become a team but are hampered by poor coaching and in the case of Troy Smith - their star QB, maybe too much coaching. The poor guy has four coaches now - no wonder he looks confused and unsure of himself out there.

It appears that "sweeping changes have been made to the offensive coaching staff" of the Alouettes. Ryan Dinwiddie has been promoted from his former job as a "offensive quality control coach" to Offensive Coordinator. Jeff Garcia, who was on the sidelines last week as a coaching consultant is now the new QB coach. On top of that, Alex Brink will be the Al's pivot in lieu of Troy Smith who is being given a chance to see the game from another point of view, according to coach Tom Higgins.

I've been watching the Riders vs Bombers replay while writing this and realized that some of my ire should be directed to the coaching staff. We took 2 - too many men penalties in the game and what the heck was Corey doing with that challenge - whoever told him to throw the flag needs a real dressing down. Heck, at one point all we were doing was moving backward on the field - it was ridiculous and I am so glad it was an away game.

All in all this was a good test for guys going up against the best in the West (so far);-). I saw a lot of good things out there. Our D really rocks - top of the league in sacks again - in no small part to the Chickman who had 3 in the game. Looking forward to some disciplined play on Saturday and a big win for the good guys. :smile:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Hmmn...........I should know better than to make predictions about CFL games - and that goes double in this case. For the better part of 3/4s, I was thinking we just might lose this game. We had no answer for the strength of the Montreal D. We never established a running game. Our offense did not look sharp. On the other hand our defence simply rocks. The Chick Monster had another multi-sack night. Getz, Bagg, and Smith had some good receptions. Bagg got the only TD of the night.

I almost felt sorry for Alex Brink on 2nd and long as he faced a solid line of Rider green daring him to go deep. Time and again the Rider D came up big, knockdowns, tackles to force 3rd and long. They played a solid game all night long - they and they alone kept the offense in the game - they never quit. Kudos to every single one of you - and thank you all.

I don't know what was going on with the play-calling tonight - it seemed as if the coaching staff had prepared for a totally different Montreal team. Alex Brink had a good night even with the loss. He showed some maturity and made a lot of good decisions at timely moments in the game. I liked what I saw of him tonight much more than what I have been seeing of Troy Smith.

Darian attained Warrior status tonight rushing for important downs especially one late in the last quarter that gave the team an all important first down and time to play the clock.

The Riders unveiled their new Blitz Green unis tonight. l love the helmets with their nod to the watermelon.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I love it when we beat the Lions at home...........but beating them with our back-up QB and an offensive guard!.......icing on the cake for Rider fans.

When DD got hurt, I was sure that was the game for us...........but much to my utter surprise, Tino Sunseri had something else in mind and so did Dan Clarke. As usual these games our defense was lights out allowing only one TD and that was actually on Special Teams. The Chick Monster was all over the field in spite of once again being double-teamed.

If we can win one in BC place this way, I have hope that we can do it anywhere against any team.

Go Riders.............you guys rocked yesterday. Hope DD's hand injury won't keep him out for long but nice to see that Tino can step in when needed.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I love it when we beat the Lions at home...........but beating them with our back-up QB and an offensive guard!.......icing on the cake for Rider fans.

When DD got hurt, I was sure that was the game for us...........but much to my utter surprise, Tino Sunseri had something else in mind and so did Dan Clarke. As usual these games our defense was lights out allowing only one TD and that was actually on Special Teams. The Chick Monster was all over the field in spite of once again being double-teamed.

If we can win one in BC place this way, I have hope that we can do it anywhere against any team.

Go Riders.............you guys rocked yesterday. Hope DD's hand injury won't keep him out for long but nice to see that Tino can step in when needed.

Also good when BC guarentee's a win as well.