Help enstate Tims Law (greyhound bus murder)

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
On Li’s situation the Immigration department should have that as a mandatory condition where a proper method of screening for mental health all immigrants entering the country, unfortunately for the fellow beheaded passenger had Immigrations Canada screened Li for mental competence this again may have been avoided.

I agree with this completely. I still think, however that now, knowing what Li is capable of, should be in a institution forever, without a "chance to be free" annually. That is NOT justice.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
It's no longer 2005, and his lawyers will not be the ones declaring him mentally fit for release.

If the Health system is releasing dangerous psychpaths into society then we have an issue with the Health system.

I don't know why people are making it sound like he "got off". I sure as hell would not want to step foot in any of those institutions. Given the choice I would probably choose prison. Of course, having been in neither I might be choosing wrong. Still, point remains, he's not in for a cakewalk.

For sure it isn't a cake walk. Poor Jack N he must have nightmares after filming this. They probably gave him bonus pay for the mental abuse he encountered even though it was just an act.

YouTube - One flew over the cuckoo's nest

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Mental Illness cannot be "cured", it can be managed, with medication. Mr.Li should not be given the chance to be out on his own again, free to choose whether he takes his meds or not. He RUFUSED treatment in 2005, look what happened.

Li was free to refuse treatment in 2005, because there was nothing showing he presented a danger to himself or others. Now, he has been shown to present such a danger. As such, he CAN be forced to take his meds, through monthly intramuscular injections. No skipping a pill, etc. No choice. Meds, or back in. There are systems in place for this sort of thing. Li isn't the first mental patient to snap, and he won't be the last.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That is NOT justice.

That's the point shrimpsey. You can't attempt to seek justice by our typical standards, against someone who can't think straight. Conventional ideas of justice go out the window when mental illness and criminal insanity enter the playbook.

And I'm curious. If someone hacked your head off, swung it around for five hours while chopping bits and pieces off of your corpse....

what kind of justice could you ever expect? Do you think ANYthing that happens to Li will feel like justice to his haunted family?

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
Li was free to refuse treatment in 2005, because there was nothing showing he presented a danger to himself or others. Now, he has been shown to present such a danger. As such, he CAN be forced to take his meds, through monthly intramuscular injections. No skipping a pill, etc. No choice. Meds, or back in. There are systems in place for this sort of thing. Li isn't the first mental patient to snap, and he won't be the last.

Ok, so he is forced to take his meds, people withthis level of psycosis need their meds altered, and changed as after a time, they start to not work the same. I have worked with numerous mentally ill patients. One for instance - one of my clients, in an institution, on his meds, was totally fine, and to the average person, you would think was fine, grabbed a knife and threatened to kill me. He had to be sent back to the hospital and have his meds re-adjusted before he returned to our INSTITUTION. If Li is out, who is going to be their 24/7 to make sure his meds don't need to be re-adjusted, or just wait until he snaps again. In my opinion, someone capable of doing what he did should never be allowed out again period. Would you want him as your neighbour Karee??

Another point, there are allot of people in our country who are schizophrenic that do not commit murder, he is a murderer, he needs to be institutionalized for life.(Or sent back to his country and they can deal with him)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Would you want him as your neighbour Karee??

This is the sticking point of living in a country with a criminal system that's built on the concept of rehabilitation, rather than lifelong incarceration. Yes... these people need to be released back into the communities. And in order for them to actually rehabilitate, yes, people have to be willing to have them as neighbours. Would I want him as mine? Not especially. Is he any more dangerous than the people I have living next door right now? Not necessarily. All that living next door to him would do is remove a false sense of security.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Is this man actually going to walk the streets a free man? Tell me it isn't so, please.

He wasn't walking the streets as a free man when it happened talloola. If you've ever met anyone who lives with schizophrenia, you'll see they're a prisoner to it. He may be released one day. But he will be monitored, injected, subjected to continual tests and pills. He will be a research subject, a journal paper, a pin cushion. And when his meds are good, he will be tortured by what he did. And when they're not good, he'll return to being locked up in his own terrors.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
He wasn't walking the streets as a free man when it happened talloola. If you've ever met anyone who lives with schizophrenia, you'll see they're a prisoner to it. He may be released one day. But he will be monitored, injected, subjected to continual tests and pills. He will be a research subject, a journal paper, a pin cushion. And when his meds are good, he will be tortured by what he did. And when they're not good, he'll return to being locked up in his own terrors.

It's very sad and pitiful, I agree, a horrible way to live.
"And when his meds aren't good", what might happen, another murder?

What about the protection of the public.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's very sad and pitiful, I agree, a horrible way to live.
"And when his meds aren't good", what might happen, another murder?

What about the protection of the public.

I'm quite certain that Li will receive some pretty stringent monitoring as condition of his release. No one's going to just shrug off what he did when it comes time to consider releasing him.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
OH yes, just to add, if Li were convicted and sentenced to 2nd degree murder, he would serve his time, and then be deported when he was done according to canadian law, if an imagrant comits a criminal offence, they get kicked out after serving their sentance.

ETA - Re-read the first post, I am saying he should still be criminally responsible, with a CRIMINAL RECORD, and if deemed insane, then permanatly in a institution, not allowed a annual review to see if its ok for him to go free

Umm....no. If Mr. Li is still in the immigration process, then yes he
would be deported upon release from incarceration. If Mr. Li has
completed the immigration process, then he's a Canadian citizen and
Canada would be where he stays.

Sorry Shrimpsey, but I won't be signing a petition to criminally prosecute
anyone who is not responsible for their actions at the time that a crime
was committed.

I, too, am a parent....so I think I understand part of where you're coming
from. I understand your outrage, but not your rational. Welcome to Canadian
Content Shrimpsey and I look forward to debating you on other issues. My
sticking-point is trying to be objective when it comes to blatant corruption and
incompetence in some of our Law Enforcement and Civil Servants. I try to be
objective on that topic but don't always succeed as the topic is a bit close to
home at times. If that's what's happening here for you, I have empathy for you,
but it still doesn't change the fact that Mr. Li just wasn't responsible for his
actions at the time of that gruesome homicide.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Any petition signed now might ... repeat MIGHT ... be considered for some future thing. Li's case has already been decided. He can't be tried twice for the same offence without a lot of new evidence and he can only be sentenced by the laws in effect that day.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
LOL, you are wrong. His lawyers are already setting it up by saying he has already made progress. If you think he will be institutionalized for life, you are wrong. If you believe that, I have some swamp land to sell you....

Swamp land in Toronto? Would I also get the mineral rights? I've
heard rumors of some interesting hydrocarbon deposits with
respect to some marshland in your neck of the woods. 8O

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What people also fail to realize is that Li just spent hours in a bus in Saskatistan!!!!

Hello??? I spent two weeks there one day and I coulda done some damage if I had sobered up a little.