Help enstate Tims Law (greyhound bus murder)

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Good day Risus I don't condone what this guy did. If your kid did what this guy did and your kid was the prisoner of the serif you would want a deferent set of rules for your self.

If you are in favor of Capital punishment wait until in Canada the Conservatives get a majority and hope that all political opposition to disappear from Parliament hill, and then you may see Li get executed for his crazy savage behavior.

THE MEN IS MENTALLY ILL, HE WILL BE TREATED, AND HE WILL BE IN A MENTAL INSTITUTION FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.

WHEN THE BRAIN GETS SICK LIKE THIS MAN LI, THERE IS NO REHABILITATION 0 CHANCE FOR A SCENARIO WHERE HE WILL BE TREATED AND LET GO INTO THE PUBLIC EVER AGAIN,
HE COULD RE-OFFEND AND WHILE INSTITUTIONALIZED HE WILL BE IN INCARCERATION.
Are you happy now?

LOL, you are wrong. His lawyers are already setting it up by saying he has already made progress. If you think he will be institutionalized for life, you are wrong. If you believe that, I have some swamp land to sell you....

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
That's your message. I don't buy it. We don't have an epidemic of people claiming "the voices told me" despite the laws being in place for quite some time. I really do find Chicken Little theories boring.

Even one case blaming voices as an excuse is too many. And what does chicken little have to do with it???

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Welcome to the forum shrimpsey.

I will be declining your invitation to sign the petition for stiffer sentences for the mentally ill. Anyone who has read the reports, the details, the events leading up to the horrible slaughter of Tim Mclean, KNEW before this trial ever began, that Li had completely broken away from reality. We knew he wasn't in his right mind. Knew he hadn't planned this. Knew he hadn't singled out Tim. Psychiatrists and judges are better suited than me to decide what is appropriate for those who step outside of reality the way Li did.

This guy got away from a mental institution. What was he in for? Has he killed before?
He did single out Tim McLean. Tim was sleeping and was probably the least threatening to the psycho. I will sign the petition.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
LOL, you are wrong. His lawyers are already setting it up by saying he has already made progress. If you think he will be institutionalized for life, you are wrong. If you believe that, I have some swamp land to sell you....

Hey Risus I am a giving man, it is so nice for you to offer me your underwater land to buy, I have always bought real estates above water with good view, I don’t see why I will start today to buy your mistake, but aside from your bad real estate deal, this man will be institutionalized 100%, they will not hang him to satisfy people who do not understand mental illness, they will not let him be close to other mentally ill people, and he will be under mental supervision 24 / 7 365
Have a good weekend man.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

If he's let out before he should be, or at all if he shouldn't be, that's a "whole 'nother issue" and we as a society need to take that up with the decision makers. I don't think it's legitimate to cease recognizing mental illness just because an offender may or may not be let out too early.

There's a pretty good chance if he went to trial he'd get away with 2nd degree, in which case he most likely would be out in 10. With no treatment and likely sicker than he is now.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This guy got away from a mental institution. What was he in for? Has he killed before?
He did single out Tim McLean. Tim was sleeping and was probably the least threatening to the psycho. I will sign the petition.

We have rights juan, and until we prove we are a threat to ourselves or others, the doctor's hands are tied in how they can keep you institutionalized... and rightly so. That status has now changed for Li. The way the docs can treat him has now changed drastically. He will not be able to dash off without meds. It won't be a question of 'how bad is he?' They know now.

And no... had Tim not been on that bus, someone still would have died. It wasn't Tim that he was after. He was on that path regardless of who showed up. Tim was random.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
If he's let out before he should be, or at all if he shouldn't be, that's a "whole 'nother issue" and we as a society need to take that up with the decision makers. I don't think it's legitimate to cease recognizing mental illness just because an offender may or may not be let out too early.

There's a pretty good chance if he went to trial he'd get away with 2nd degree, in which case he most likely would be out in 10. With no treatment and likely sicker than he is now.

Any Judge that would do such a thing to bypass the necessity of treatment before trial will be a complete mental misfit. I highly doubt that Li will be charged ever with a second degree.
Life in the crazy house it would be very scary to see the white robe coming at you to remind you of the needle when you get out of line.

Any one remember the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE COOKOOS NEST
YouTube - One flew over the cuckoo's nest

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Hey Risus I am a giving man, it is so nice for you to offer me your underwater land to buy, I have always bought real estates above water with good view, I don’t see why I will start today to buy your mistake, but aside from your bad real estate deal, this man will be institutionalized 100%, they will not hang him to satisfy people who do not understand mental illness, they will not let him be close to other mentally ill people, and he will be under mental supervision 24 / 7 365
Have a good weekend man.

The real estate deal aside, if you believe the 24 / 7 / 365, you are mistaken. Did you listen to his lawyer?????

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

The best thing for him is swinging at the end of a rope. That way he will be harmless. Mental illness is just a cop-out.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Its not a medical issue, its a legal excuse. Hang him...

OK, lets hang sick people too, for spreading disease! Ya! Murder everyone who is ill in any way! Death to the unclean!

perhaps we should get some stakes to burn them at.

Now im not against the concept of capital punishment, but only if someone is unable to be rehabilitated and is a danger/huge expense.

Killing someone doesn't bring back the dead. And if he can be cured, he can be a valuable member of society.

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
Mental Illness cannot be "cured", it can be managed, with medication. Mr.Li should not be given the chance to be out on his own again, free to choose whether he takes his meds or not. He RUFUSED treatment in 2005, look what happened. When any persons, without resonable doubt murders another person, and gets off on mental illness(I say get off, as he has NO criminal record) should be gaurunteed to be institutionalised for the rest of his/her life. They should also still have it on their record. Intresting about the comment that Li was in a mental institution before, I do wonder what for. Maybe this really is his second offence, and we just don't know.

This is the exact wording on the petition, the death penalty has nothing to do with it.

This petition has been started in hopes that the laws will be changed regarding persons being found not criminally responsible for their actions due to mental illness. They should still be held criminally responsible, and unable to re-enter society.

"Tim's Law is if you voluntary take an innocent life you will lose your freedom for the rest of your life. I think that's fair and reasonable and I think that's justice,"

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Mental Illness cannot be "cured", it can be managed, with medication. Mr.Li should not be given the chance to be out on his own again, free to choose whether he takes his meds or not. He RUFUSED treatment in 2005, look what happened. When any persons, without resonable doubt murders another person, and gets off on mental illness(I say get off, as he has NO criminal record) should be gaurunteed to be institutionalised for the rest of his/her life. They should also still have it on their record. Intresting about the comment that Li was in a mental institution before, I do wonder what for. Maybe this really is his second offence, and we just don't know.

This is the exact wording on the petition, the death penalty has nothing to do with it.

This petition has been started in hopes that the laws will be changed regarding persons being found not criminally responsible for their actions due to mental illness. They should still be held criminally responsible, and unable to re-enter society.

"Tim's Law is if you voluntary take an innocent life you will lose your freedom for the rest of your life. I think that's fair and reasonable and I think that's justice,"

Like it or not, we have this thing called the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. We also have limits set for how long any person can be incarcerated. Li has ONE offence under his belt. Whether he's in prison or in a mental facility, Canadian Law says he will get an opportunity to be rehabilitated. That Charter also says we cannot force him to stay on his medication. To keep him locked up for life he has to be declared a dangerous offender. That means he gets two more tries at it before that can happen. Rights, eh....

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
The real estate deal aside, if you believe the 24 / 7 / 365, you are mistaken. Did you listen to his lawyer?????

I could be wrong but I think it's pretty much out of the lawyer's hands, is it not? Hasn't he just ceased to be a defendant and become a patient? I believe it's the doctors who are in control now.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

IT ISN’T GOING TO HAPPEN, HE CAN HAVE TEN LAWYERS TO REPRESENT HIM WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN,

but when you look at a guy who stepped into a forbidden territory because of his head, the main ORGAN function of the human body is the mind and the rest come second,

so his mind is like anything you want to describe for analogy that can fit the picture, THE PICTURE IS BROKEN BECAUSE THE HEAD DOESN’T FUNCTION.

THE TIME LI DECITED TO CUT HIS FELLOW PASSENGERS HEAD OFF, WE CAN BE SURE HE WAS IN A STATE BEING OUT SIDE OF HIM SELF THERE FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO CONTROL HIS PHYSICAL MOVEMENT MEANING THAT HE WAS PERFORMING AN ACT WERE HIS MIND WAS NOT ABLE TO IDENTIFY AND STOP THE HORRIBLE WORLD HE HAD JUST ENTERED.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Any Judge that would do such a thing to bypass the necessity of treatment before trial will be a complete mental misfit. I highly doubt that Li will be charged ever with a second degree.

I didn't mean to suggest it is still a possibility, I meant if he was ruled competant and ordered to stand trial. You're right, that's not gonna happen now.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Mental Illness cannot be "cured", it can be managed, with medication. Mr.Li should not be given the chance to be out on his own again, free to choose whether he takes his meds or not.

If that's indeed the case, then that's indeed what should happen. Where's the problem?

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
That is the problem, its not the case. He is to be sent to a mental institution, his first review is in 90 days, where he could be released, or still under care. After that, he will have an anual hearing to decided if he is fit to be released. The prosecuter was already refuring to Li's illness in teh past tense, and his lawyers have said he is making good progress with his treatment,

Seeing as he knew he was ill in 2005 and refused to be treated, shouldn't that make him accountable??

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
That is the problem, its not the case. He is to be sent to a mental institution, his first review is in 90 days, where he could be released, or still under care. After that, he will have an anual hearing to decided if he is fit to be released. The prosecuter was already refuring to Li's illness in teh past tense, and his lawyers have said he is making good progress with his treatment,

Seeing as he knew he was ill in 2005 and refused to be treated, shouldn't that make him accountable??

It's no longer 2005, and his lawyers will not be the ones declaring him mentally fit for release.

If the Health system is releasing dangerous psychpaths into society then we have an issue with the Health system.

I don't know why people are making it sound like he "got off". I sure as hell would not want to step foot in any of those institutions. Given the choice I would probably choose prison. Of course, having been in neither I might be choosing wrong. Still, point remains, he's not in for a cakewalk.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I didn't mean to suggest it is still a possibility, I meant if he was ruled competant and ordered to stand trial. You're right, that's not gonna happen now.

Good day J F, when something like this happens the pointers go like many here have said on mental health, it is sad to see that it has resorted to shooting them or tasering them(killing them in both weaponry used) instead of treating them and the ones who are past the point of treatment because of hereditary gin damage, they would be the candidates for life supervision. Unfortunately if Li was under supervision this could have been avoided.

On Li’s situation the Immigration department should have that as a mandatory condition where a proper method of screening for mental health all immigrants entering the country, unfortunately for the fellow beheaded passenger had Immigrations Canada screened Li for mental competence this again may have been avoided.

It is all water under the bridge when it come s to Mr. Li. The lesson here is Immigrations Canada should take stock and act immediately to close the potential disastrous gapping hole.