Help enstate Tims Law (greyhound bus murder)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Colpy - I have no problems with disagreement. Its that I wanted this to be about the incedent, what happened, that their is a problem with the outcome, not what the thread turned into.

There was no problem with the outcome. Exactly what should have happened, happened. Not only will I not sign such a silly vengeful petition, I'm thinking about starting my own. I want the federal government to make it illegal for idiots to start petitions. Is there anybody here who would sign?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mental health is the most underfunded portion of our health care system and yet it makes up 10% of illnesses.

Something is seriously wrong with that.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
That would be a waist of time, this is the most idiotic suggestion, and obviously the person who came up with the idea to gather this petition has an ax to grind, eye for an eye attitude. Humanity at time can be and has been many times a total savage .

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Nonsense, if Li were convicted of second-degree murder, he would be eligible for parole after 10 years.

Li is mentally ill; it is very likely he will be institutionalized the rest of his life, let alone 10 years.

I doubt that... his lawyer is already saying he is making progress. He will be out in less than 10. Mark my words...

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mental health is the most underfunded portion of our health care system and yet it makes up 10% of illnesses.

Good day to you Petros. It is cheaper to shoot them or teaser them then providing etiquette mental health for people with extreme bipolar conditions.
You are on the money my friend.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
That would be a waist of time, this is the most idiotic suggestion, and obviously the person who came up with the idea to gather this petition has an ax to grind, eye for an eye attitude. Humanity at time can be and has been many times a total savage .

Hmmm, maybe if your kid or wife had his/her head hacked off and was canibalized you might change your tune. As it is, Li is the savage and should be treated as such.....

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Mental health issues are just used as an excuse. Blaming voices is a cop out. Lock them up....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Nonsense, if Li were convicted of second-degree murder, he would be eligible for parole after 10 years.

Li is mentally ill; it is very likely he will be institutionalized the rest of his life, let alone 10 years.

If we call ourselves a civilized nation, then instead of knee-jerk vengeance, we and the institutions acting in our name must be able to separate guilt of the sane from the rash and unreasoned acts of the ill - physically or mentally.

I for one would not sign this petition.

Yeah, Spade I can see both sides of the argument. The poor parents of course are devastated and no doubt emotions are stronger than rationalization. Of course the mutilation and cannabalism just add to the emotions. But apart from that is this case really any different from any other where a peson is murdered at the hands of an insane person? They are all just as dead. Cases like this are so rare, I question the wisdom of setting protocol, when they can't establish protocol for amned gangsters shooting up the streets and anyone on them.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So you would want him out in the public so he can do it all over again?? And what sort of message does it send???

It sends the message that you have a tough time reading English. Nowhere have I said I want him to do it all over again.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I would love to debate that but I really need to get going.

But man... sawing a guys head off is abnormally heinous. I do not think that sickness should be treated as a Small Pox carrier.

Its a different type of sickness. It is not a disease carrier... it is really a madman. That is what he is and I doubt that can be cured. He hacked a sleeping strangers head off on a bus.

If he can't be he can't be. If he can he can. If he can be cured, do you have a problem?

If he can or can't be cured is a medical issue, not a legal one. If he cannot be cured, then we really don't have a problem, he'll be locked up anyways.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
It sends the message that you have a tough time reading English. Nowhere have I said I want him to do it all over again.

Quit nit picking... The message is that others could do it and blame 'voices' and get away with it. Shameful.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Hmmm, maybe if your kid or wife had his/her head hacked off and was canibalized you might change your tune. As it is, Li is the savage and should be treated as such.....

Good day Risus I don't condone what this guy did. If your kid did what this guy did and your kid was the prisoner of the serif you would want a deferent set of rules for your self.

If you are in favor of Capital punishment wait until in Canada the Conservatives get a majority and hope that all political opposition to disappear from Parliament hill, and then you may see Li get executed for his crazy savage behavior.

THE MEN IS MENTALLY ILL, HE WILL BE TREATED, AND HE WILL BE IN A MENTAL INSTITUTION FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.

WHEN THE BRAIN GETS SICK LIKE THIS MAN LI, THERE IS NO REHABILITATION 0 CHANCE FOR A SCENARIO WHERE HE WILL BE TREATED AND LET GO INTO THE PUBLIC EVER AGAIN,
HE COULD RE-OFFEND AND WHILE INSTITUTIONALIZED HE WILL BE IN INCARCERATION.
Are you happy now?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Quit nit picking... The message is that others could do it and blame 'voices' and get away with it. Shameful.

Risus -
The studies show that 1 in 5 Canadians will suffer from a major depressive disorder during their life time – Many homeless on the streets cannot get help – I have a number of friends that have PTSD – Treatment is next to impossible to get – if you think wait times for a Doctor are bad try to see a physiologist or a psychiatrist – Speaking with my friends it is next to impossible -

Look around the people you know perhaps you could be that 1 in 5.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
If he can't be he can't be. If he can he can. If he can be cured, do you have a problem?

If he can or can't be cured is a medical issue, not a legal one. If he cannot be cured, then we really don't have a problem, he'll be locked up anyways.

Its not a medical issue, its a legal excuse. Hang him...

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

That's your message. I don't buy it. We don't have an epidemic of people claiming "the voices told me" despite the laws being in place for quite some time. I really do find Chicken Little theories boring.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Welcome to the forum shrimpsey.

I will be declining your invitation to sign the petition for stiffer sentences for the mentally ill. Anyone who has read the reports, the details, the events leading up to the horrible slaughter of Tim Mclean, KNEW before this trial ever began, that Li had completely broken away from reality. We knew he wasn't in his right mind. Knew he hadn't planned this. Knew he hadn't singled out Tim. Psychiatrists and judges are better suited than me to decide what is appropriate for those who step outside of reality the way Li did.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Colpy - I have no problems with disagreement. Its that I wanted this to be about the incedent, what happened, that their is a problem with the outcome, not what the thread turned into.

shrimpsey, I share some of your sentiments in this. One other thing that bugged the hell out of me is that a few months back a Polish man landed at Vancouver airport and he couldn't communicate with anyone for about ten hours and he is starting to get a bit frustrated and edgy. Along comes four big, strapping, Mounties, who proceed to taser the man to death. Mr. Li was on the damn bus for five hours waving his victim's head around. Why could'nt Li be tasered. Take the bas---d out and taser him now.:angry3: