Food has become extremely expensive

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Once upon a time peanut butter had peanut oil in it. Now the more valuable peanut oil is extracted and then replaced with ****ty canola.

RU serious?? One of the multitude of stuffs I didn't know!!

Dang, and I really like my Skippy or the Kraft peanut butter teddy bears..............crunchy type.

Next you'll be sayin the crunchy stuff ain't really peanuts!!!

That alone should lead to a protest on Parliament Hill, pitchforks, and canola in the steets.

It's time folks. Grab a .22 and lead on. I'm right here behind ya.:glasses9:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Once upon a time peanut butter had peanut oil in it. Now the more valuable peanut oil is extracted and then replaced with ****ty canola.

PB on a hamburger or sausage bun - Onions - Good mustard - Cold beer. SUUUMMMM Good

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
my daughter lives in ucluelet, and the co op is their only supermarket, prices are far too high there, but they have the monopoly, no competition, and people don't want to drive to port alberni.if I lived there I would shop every two weeks elsewhere, I would not pay them to rip me off.
Never shopped @ the Co-op but I have sent people there for things when we on a fishing trip and I was cooking-the stuff they came back with makes me shake my head.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What happened to good old "Squirrel Peanut Butter"?

Unilever bought Best Foods, and shortly thereafter no more Squirrel. Peanut butter made from 100% crushed peanuts is way better than the sugar and soy/palm oil mixtures with some peanuts sold as peanut butter.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Another crushing blow to my insulated world, this thread has destroyed my favourite breakfast of peanut butter on toast. You health nuts have no hearts. Next I suppose you will dump on cheeze whizerd.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Another crushing blow to my insulated world, this thread has destroyed my favourite breakfast of peanut butter on toast. You health nuts have no hearts. Next I suppose you will dump on cheeze whizerd.
Yup. As prices have risen quality has plummeted.

No...sounds intriguing though.
1 cup PB, 1 egg, 3/4 cup brown sugar, mix then fry in butter until crumbly. Like most things they taste best cooked on a campfire.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
In my hood the grumbling over food prices is beginning to drown out the grumbling over fuel prices, both compliment, alternately, the permanent grumbling over weather. Militant grumbling is our preferred Canadian form of protest.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What happened to good old "Squirrel Peanut Butter"?
I think Squirrely is still around but it is full of sugar and hydrogenated oil. Oooops! Ton blew that out of the water!

As for Canola, you would get more and safer nutrition from squeezing your zits.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I buy Adam's.
Adams is good. Listen up people - start label reading. Look at some things like your 1% Cottage Cheese (Saputo, aka Dairyland) - and compare it to the 2%. (1/2 cup serving)

1% = 100 Calories 2% = 110 (not a big jump there)
1.5 g fat 2.5 g. fat
10 mg. Cholesterol 15 mg cholesterol
540 mg. SODIUM 530 mg SODIUM
4 g. SUGAR 1 g. SUGAR

Which one do you think is the healthiest. The 1% "Light" or the 2%? Don't be fooled by the word "light". Label read. It's important.

I think Squirrely is still around but it is full of sugar and hydrogenated oil.

As for Canola, you would get more and safer nutrition from squeezing your zits.
I've been looking at a new diet. Canola oil is a forbidden item. Actually - all margarines are too.

Now you have just reminded me that I must go empty the trailer!!! Supposed to be sunny on Thursday. Seems like a good day. We have to winterize it too. They just said on the news that we will have a colder than usual winter this year.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Compared to most of the world, the cost of food in Canada and the USA is very inexpensive. Yes, we bitch about it, but be thankful you don't live in India, most of Africa, Europe, etc.