Food has become extremely expensive

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Having had a totally organic garden I can say with assurance nothing is further from the truth.

Yields with organic methods are actually higher than conventional agriculture on a well run operation-organic farm barons claim lower yields so they can fatten their bottom lines with high prices-this is something I see all the time here in Vancouver.

The farmer's markets here are a complete ripoff-they charge even more than the most expensive stores like Whole Foods and Urban Fare.

For instance Whole Foods sells 100% certified organic Yukon Gold Potatoes for $2.50/lb but the two farmer's markets the price is $3.00/lb for exactly the same product.

Thanks for that-I can always use a laugh!
Whatever you think you've heard about Nanaimo is wrong. I've lived here for 11 years. I deal a lot with some kind of law enforcement daily. I have never ever heard of Nanaimo as "Surrey by the Sea" and I strongly believe you have made it up yourself. We have our problems like everyone else but nothing like you describe. Not even close. Particularly since this whole area is fast becoming a retirement community. That was a pretty nasty thing to say. You are from Vancouver and you think you have room to talk about Nanaimo?

I can do the conversions- it's just when they quote 100 grams it keeps the price SEEMINGLY low.
If you want to do a quick calculation just take the price listed per 100 g and add a zero. If it's listed at $1.99 then you know it's $19.90.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Whatever you think you've heard about Nanaimo is wrong. I've lived here for 11 years. I deal a lot with some kind of law enforcement daily. I have never ever heard of Nanaimo as "Surrey by the Sea" and I strongly believe you have made it up yourself. We have our problems like everyone else but nothing like you describe. Not even close. Particularly since this whole area is fast becoming a retirement community. That was a pretty nasty thing to say. You are from Vancouver and you think you have room to talk about Nanaimo?

About fourteen years ago my wife and I retired to Gabriola Island. It is a lovely place but after six or seven years we got tired of that extra ferry and moved over to Nanaimo. It's a friendly place, housing is less expensive than the mainland, and the rush hour, compared with Vancouver, is nothing.....Some mornings we don't have a rush half hour or even a rush fifteen minutes.

The Most Dangerous Cities in Canada: Overall crime score

Oh, and by the way, Nanaimo's crime stats show that it is about the twenty first most crime ridden city in Canada. That means Nanaimo has less crime than just about anywhere in the country

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
For instance Whole Foods sells 100% certified organic Yukon Gold Potatoes for $2.50/lb but the two farmer's markets the price is $3.00/lb for exactly the same product.

Why would you even expect the prices to be comparable? Retail distributors, versus a farmer's market? Seriously? The price difference exists for an obvious reason...

I know lots of people who shop at farmer's markets, I go all the time too, and none go because the cost of food is cheaper. Most of the folks I know are trying to keep agrarian communities alive, and purchasing food at farmer's markets is one way to supplement the farmer's income.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

QUOTE]

Some people just have to blab off about things they know nothing about. In all the years I lived in and around Nanaimo, I never found much to complain about. The worst feature is probably the streets right down town where in the early days they paved the deer trails where they ran around a stump. :smile:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
About fourteen years ago my wife and I retired to Gabriola Island. It is a lovely place but after six or seven years we got tired of that extra ferry and moved over to Nanaimo. It's a friendly place, housing is less expensive than the mainland, and the rush hour, compared with Vancouver, is nothing.....Some mornings we don't have a rush half hour or even a rush fifteen minutes.

I was in Nanaimo this summer, in June, during the Stanley Cup finals actually. It's a very nice little city, great boardwalk, though I was unimpressed with the restaurant selection around my hotel downtown.

ETA: Maybe I should have hit up Juan's Kitchen ;)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
VanIsle If you want to do a quick calculation just take the price listed per 100 g and add a zero. If it's listed at $1.99 then you know it's $19.90.[/QUOTE said:
Oh, I know how it works, V.I. but these things aren't done for savvy shoppers- they are done for impulse shoppers who look at price and nothing else, ones who will choose the lowest price with no regard to weight, quality or anything else. :smile:

I was in Nanaimo this summer, in June, during the Stanley Cup finals actually. It's a very nice little city, great boardwalk, though I was unimpressed with the restaurant selection around my hotel downtown.

Basically Nanaimo is 7 miles away from where it was years ago, Nantzville would be a more correct term for the city today.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

You are welcome anytime. Next time you are in the area let me know.

If I'm not around, go to the http://www.crowandgate.com/

It's a pub but their food is superb.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Been that way for years. The order may change, but it's the same three cities as 1-2-3.

It surprised me too Ron, but then again (as I told S.J.P. 150 million times) they are just statistics. Perhaps the cops there are just a little fleeter of foot and actually jump out of the cruiser to chase down the perpetrators. Maybe judges and juries have more balls. :smile:

Is there a large population of immigrants from India, committing crime in those cities?

Don't tell dumpster, it will just add fuel to his anti-immigrant obsession.

Ooooooooooh oooooooooooooh, naughty!!!!!!!!!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
injuns, redskins, first nations welfare recipients.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It surprised me too Ron, but then again (as I told S.J.P. 150 million times) they are just statistics. Perhaps the cops there are just a little fleeter of foot and actually jump out of the cruiser to chase down the perpetrators. Maybe judges and juries have more balls. :smile:

Yeah.......no. Anyway, this Thread is about expensive food. Sorry I derailed it
above, but lets take this one back on topic please.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

QUOTE]

Some people just have to blab off about things they know nothing about. In all the years I lived in and around Nanaimo, I never found much to complain about. The worst feature is probably the streets right down town where in the early days they paved the deer trails where they ran around a stump. :smile:
Most of the downtown area has been refurbished JLM. I don't go there often simply because there is no need to. I live in North Nanaimo and everything I need is here. There has been lots of new housing developments in the downtown core and it's becoming a nicer, safer place to be. The "downtown" area of most cities is usually where the trouble is and it was here for a little while too. The changes made have helped clean things up in everyway. Nanaimo is simply void of ideas regarding tourism and does nothing to attract people. It should be a growing booming tourist mecca but not a single beach is developed here. Even Qualicum has a lovely beach yet we all live on the ocean on this Island and this city does nothing to use such a wonderful backdrop for the greater good it would bring financially speaking. JMO

You have to know the city to know where to go downtown for restaurants. The better places are out north of downtown. It's all newer out here. Juan is out here too so - either way - you would have done great.