Food has become extremely expensive

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi Vanisle
We have a small garden but the problem is that our yard has the wrong exposure and we are surrounded by
tall trees. We grow most of the herbs we use and this year we had cherry tomatoes , Acorn squash, and cucumbers.
With some herbs we find it is better to use the dried stuff from the store.

Some fresh veggies are grown in hot houses during the off-season but most of the Farmer's Markets are closed
in the Winter months.
Thanks Juan. I didn't think there was really any place around. For some reason, Nanaimo seems to be about the only place there isn't a Farmer's Market. Wonder why.

Is that the same "Shady Mile" where years ago they used to line all the pumpkins up beside the road?
Is sure is and they still do. City keeps those pumpkins lit up for about 3 days after Halloween.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Thanks Juan. I didn't think there was really any place around. For some reason, Nanaimo seems to be about the only place there isn't a Farmer's Market. Wonder why.

Is sure is and they still do. City keeps those pumpkins lit up for about 3 days after Halloween.

Holy Smokes- it's been at least 13 years since I last drove Shady Mile. Used to drive it a lot when we were doing a survey for Nanaimo Bypass past Witchcraft Lake. Of course that plan was scrapped- Nanaimo merchants didn't like it. :smile:

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Drugs, Crime/Crime, Drugs-it's known to local RCMP as Surrey-by-the-Sea.

I've lived within spitting distance of Nanaimo for 1/4 of my life, it's got those problems all right, but it's got a whole lot more too- a lot of solid people live in Nanaimo. :smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ha! My husband was suggesting to me that since we have such a great "growing window" it might be a really good idea to start growing some herbs. I told him he was welcome to go for it if he wanted to but - I don't want my window cluttered up so it's not going to happen. Might be a plan. Everyone who comes to my door can see right into my kitchen. I have to finish my curtains!!!! There is nothing as un-nerving as having people knocking on your window because they can see you! What happened to the good manners of simply knocking on the door rather than peeking through the slats of my blinds and window knocking!
I guess I could bring in the cherry tom's that are still growing out on the patio. They are tall. Lots of tomatoes but it's cold now (too chilly for tomatoes anyway) and the tomatoes are green! I don't cook with fresh herbs so I'm not sure I would like it. Guess I should go out on a limb and try it! :smile:
Start with already living things. Green onions and celery are easy to get growing again from the store. If you have a cherry tom bring it in (spray for mites first), Garlic with regrow from the store. Oregano is easy to grow.

That`s an easy pasta sauce growing in your window and you won`t find one any healthier or tastier.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Holy Smokes- it's been at least 13 years since I last drove Shady Mile. Used to drive it a lot when we were doing a survey for Nanaimo Bypass past Witchcraft Lake. Of course that plan was scrapped- Nanaimo merchants didn't like it. :smile:
Nanaimo has a bypass now. It's called The Parkway. So, you can by pass the city if you are coming from say - Ladysmith or further and heading for a visit with Kreskin in CR. You can hit the Parkway from way downtown all along from one end of Nanaimo to the other. The trip to CR isn't nearly as long as it used to be. Our second home here backed onto the Parkway and we sold it just to get away from the hwy. noise. We still have the old island hwy right through town of course. Aside from being called the Parkway, it's also known as the Inland Hwy. as opposed to the Island Hwy. I've lived here for 9 years now and it's always been there (the Nanaimo section). I think I've known you for about 6 of those 9. Maybe longer. The Parkway doesn't go anywhere near the Shady Mile. I am not aware of the lake you talked about - Witchcraft - but if it's near the Shady Mile, I guess that's a good reason for everyone's left over carved pumpkins to be taken there. I don't know that it is the City that lights the candles everyday for a few days but someone does. Must be some job. There must be a mile of pumpkins about 10 feet wide.

Start with already living things. Green onions and celery are easy to get growing again from the store. If you have a cherry tom bring it in (spray for mites first), Garlic with regrow from the store. Oregano is easy to grow.

That`s an easy pasta sauce growing in your window and you won`t find one any healthier or tastier.
True

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Nanaimo has a bypass now. It's called The Parkway. So, you can by pass the city if you are coming from say - Ladysmith or further and heading for a visit with Kreskin in CR. You can hit the Parkway from way downtown all along from one end of Nanaimo to the other. The trip to CR isn't nearly as long as it used to be. Our second home here backed onto the Parkway and we sold it just to get away from the hwy. noise. We still have the old island hwy right through town of course. Aside from being called the Parkway, it's also known as the Inland Hwy. as opposed to the Island Hwy. I've lived here for 9 years now and it's always been there (the Nanaimo section). I think I've known you for about 6 of those 9. Maybe longer. The Parkway doesn't go anywhere near the Shady Mile. I am not aware of the lake you talked about - Witchcraft - but if it's near the Shady Mile, I guess that's a good reason for everyone's left over carved pumpkins to be taken there. I don't know that it is the City that lights the candles everyday for a few days but someone does. Must be some job. There must be a mile of pumpkins about 10 feet wide.

True

The Parkway was completed a couple of years before we left the Island but it still had about 5 traffic lights between Cedar Jct. and Aulds Rd. The first route we surveyed wouldn't have had any. Witchcraft lake is reached by going up KilPatrick, I believe, it takes off Jingle Pot Rd. near the south end of Shady Mile.

True

Mt Benson

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The Parkway was completed a couple of years before we left the Island but it still had about 5 traffic lights between Cedar Jct. and Aulds Rd. The first route we surveyed wouldn't have had any. Witchcraft lake is reached by going up KilPatrick, I believe, it takes off Jingle Pot Rd. near the south end of Shady Mile.

Mt Benson
That became a very big housing development with huge lots and huge houses. I think a lot of places were left standing. Haven't been near there for about a year or so.

Sorry for the double post above everyone. I was trying to finish a response and - it just didn't work like I thought it would.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well Yes it is a dump but you do need to get to know your community better

Nanaimo Downtown Farmer's Market

Too bad they just had their last one for the season.

BC Association of Farmers' Markets

Island Farm Fresh |

My wife and I walk the seawall every Saturday. We generally go through that "farmer's market" and we've
decided that we are just as far ahead just going to the superstore or Save-on. The only reasons to go to
a farmer's market are for better quality or better prices and you won't get that at those places in the Winter.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My wife and I walk the seawall every Saturday. We generally go through that "farmer's market" and we've
decided that we are just as far ahead just going to the superstore or Save-on. The only reasons to go to
a farmer's market are for better quality or better prices and you won't get that at those places in the Winter.

Farmers' Markets CAN be a little over rated. I've visited scads of them over the years and although I have no issue with the quality of their products, the prices can range from high to outrageous. You might add "shouldn't one expect higher prices" for the quality? Possibly so! Don't get overwhelmed about rants you hear about organics. :smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Farmers' Markets CAN be a little over rated. I've visited scads of them over the years and although I have no issue with the quality of their products, the prices can range from high to outrageous. You might add "shouldn't one expect higher prices" for the quality? Possibly so! Don't get overwhelmed about rants you hear about organics. :smile:

I find the prices too high at the farmers market also, I don't shop there at all, just wander around, and

maybe buy a nice loaf of bread or buns, but I do buy some of the produce during the winter, and also some

of the xmas baking goods.

if organic food is grown and/or produced 'properly', it is the best, and it is also the most natural and

oldest way to grow one's food, without any chemicals 'at all'.

The produce at the farmers market looks wonderful, but I won't pay those high prices, just can't, i'm not

a true blue organic food eater, but many are, and they will pay, and because the yield is small the farmers

don't have the quantity to keep their prices low like safeway/quality foods etc., I understand that, but

I still won't spend that much.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Drugs, Crime/Crime, Drugs-it's known to local RCMP as Surrey-by-the-Sea.

Just to keep this thread On To[pic it's relatively rare for local farms to be used to produce actual food.

Barilko you don't know whether it is punched or bored. We've lived in Nanaimo for the last 7 years. We've seen
nothing of drugs and crime. * There is no shortage of produce in Nanaimo. In Winter most produce is shipped in
but salad crops are grown in hot houses all over B.C. . In Summer the markets have an abundance of all the
vegetables you could want.

* Every once in a while the RCMP bust up a gro-op. That was the same in Coquitlam or Maple Ridge or
any other city in the lower mainland.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
because the yield is small the farmers-don't have the quantity to keep their prices low
Having had a totally organic garden I can say with assurance nothing is further from the truth.

Yields with organic methods are actually higher than conventional agriculture on a well run operation-organic farm barons claim lower yields so they can fatten their bottom lines with high prices-this is something I see all the time here in Vancouver.

The farmer's markets here are a complete ripoff-they charge even more than the most expensive stores like Whole Foods and Urban Fare.

For instance Whole Foods sells 100% certified organic Yukon Gold Potatoes for $2.50/lb but the two farmer's markets the price is $3.00/lb for exactly the same product.

We've lived in Nanaimo for the last 7 years. We've seen nothing of drugs and crime.

Thanks for that-I can always use a laugh!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I find the prices too high at the farmers market also, I don't shop there at all, just wander around, and

maybe buy a nice loaf of bread or buns, but I do buy some of the produce during the winter, and also some

of the xmas baking goods.

if organic food is grown and/or produced 'properly', it is the best, and it is also the most natural and

oldest way to grow one's food, without any chemicals 'at all'.

The produce at the farmers market looks wonderful, but I won't pay those high prices, just can't, i'm not

a true blue organic food eater, but many are, and they will pay, and because the yield is small the farmers

don't have the quantity to keep their prices low like safeway/quality foods etc., I understand that, but

I still won't spend that much.

According to what I've read from the experts "organic" does improve taste, but the nutritional value is exactly the same. People tend to tar all chemicals with the same brush without being specific....................some chemicals are good! :smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One thing that has definitely gotten more expensive is fish:

Snapper fillets used to be $1.29/hundred grams.......it is now about $1.89/hundred grams.

A package of four small Pink salmon fillets used to be about $4.69......It is now $8.59 for the package.

These are significant increases and I've seen nothing to justify them.

a

Having had a totally organic garden I can say with assurance nothing is further from the truth.

Yields with organic methods are actually higher than conventional agriculture on a well run operation-organic farm barons claim lower yields so they can fatten their bottom lines with high prices-this is something I see all the time here in Vancouver.

The farmer's markets here are a complete ripoff-they charge even more than the most expensive stores like Whole Foods and Urban Fare.

For instance Whole Foods sells 100% certified organic Yukon Gold Potatoes for $2.50/lb but the two farmer's markets the price is $3.00/lb for exactly the same product.

The Most Dangerous Cities in Canada: Overall crime score

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One thing that has definitely gotten more expensive is fish:

Snapper fillets used to be $1.29/hundred grams.......it is now about $1.89/hundred grams.

A package of four small Pink salmon fillets used to be about $4.69......It is now $8.59 for the package.

These are significant increases and I've seen nothing to justify them.

a

The Most Dangerous Cities in Canada: Overall crime score

One lesson I learned is to stay away from stuff that is quoted per 100 grams, respectable stuff is sold by the lb. when it's per 100 grams it's because they are embarrassed about the price. :smile:

I got 15 lbs. of spuds here in Vernon the other day for about $4. Russets. Gotta watch the tricky bastards - Yukon "Gold" gives one the impression they are valuable. Drop them like a hot potato. :smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One lesson I learned is to stay away from stuff that is quoted per 100 grams, respectable stuff is sold by the lb. when it's per 100 grams it's because they are embarrassed about the price. :smile:

I got 15 lbs. of spuds here in Vernon the other day for about $4. Russets. Gotta watch the tricky bastards - Yukon "Gold" gives one the impression they are valuable. Drop them like a hot potato. :smile:

Yukon Golds probably make the best mashed potatoes. Russets are alright baked if they aren't too big.

JLM a kilogram is 2.2 pounds. I doesn't hide the price. A tiny pocket calculator will convert kiligrams to pounds in a second.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yukon Golds probably make the best mashed potatoes. Russets are alright baked if they aren't too big.

JLM a kilogram is 2.2 pounds. I doesn't hide the price. A tiny pocket calculator will convert kiligrams to pounds in a second.

I can do the conversions- it's just when they quote 100 grams it keeps the price SEEMINGLY low.