Food has become extremely expensive

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Compared to most of the world, the cost of food in Canada and the USA is very inexpensive. Yes, we bitch about it, but be thankful you don't live in India, most of Africa, Europe, etc.

That is very true, same goes for gasoline, while wages are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Adams is good. Listen up people - start label reading. Look at some things like your 1% Cottage Cheese (Saputo, aka Dairyland) - and compare it to the 2%. (1/2 cup serving)

1% = 100 Calories 2% = 110 (not a big jump there)
1.5 g fat 2.5 g. fat
10 mg. Cholesterol 15 mg cholesterol
540 mg. SODIUM 530 mg SODIUM
4 g. SUGAR 1 g. SUGAR

Which one do you think is the healthiest. The 1% "Light" or the 2%? Don't be fooled by the word "light". Label read. It's important.

I've been looking at a new diet. Canola oil is a forbidden item. Actually - all margarines are too.

Now you have just reminded me that I must go empty the trailer!!! Supposed to be sunny on Thursday. Seems like a good day. We have to winterize it too. They just said on the news that we will have a colder than usual winter this year.
Good eye VI. Take a look at "lite" salad dressing sometime too. All that is done to make it "lite" is add water.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
On a related note, I'm noticing that the other major chains are cutting down on the number of brands they carry, too.

You are right on about this TP.........lately it seems that products I used to buy regularly are no longer available anywhere. I suppose if I lived in a city, I might be able to hunt them down but with only two major grocery stores here, neither seem to stock the products anymore. I look at the shelves and except for very high-priced specialty items, one or two brands seem to encompass the entire selection available. So much for choice.

I also find that when the flyers come out here, both grocery stores have the exact same items on 'sale' for almost the same price most of the time.

We were warned that food prices would rise about 2 - 3 %. That was about 10 months ago. Not much seemed to change in any store. Then one day I went to do the usual shopping and was awe struck by the price changes. Food everywhere here (on Vancouver Island at least) is up far more than the 2 - 3% predicted. I don't understand why. Not much else has changed. Cost of fuel is about the same as it has been for the past year. It too is up far past what it should be but that's a whole other topic. Transportation costs have not really changed in the past couple of years and store owners are blaming the rise in the cost of food on things like transportation. If that's true, then why didn't they rise in price that much a couple of years ago? It's all about greed.

Over two years ago now, I clipped an article from the National Post that forecast a steep rise in the price of food in the coming years. It came more quickly then even they had expected.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Oh you guys are so lucky you have choices. Out here in the boonies, Jimmy Pattison's Overwaitea has a monopoly and us by the balls. I will be asking if I can buy a case of peanut butter for a discount tomorrow, that's for sure.

Well I guess we are somewhat luckier than you, Cliffy............we have Save-On and Safeway.......still the choices are very limited when the selection keeps going down in both stores.

I always buy Western Family Natural peanut butter. Only ingredient is peanuts.

I try to buy only Western Family here, Cliffy..............haven't noticed any change in quality and they give us points on all products with the WF brand when you bring back the empties - everything from cans to juice containers and plastic.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You are right on about this TP.........lately it seems that products I used to buy regularly are no longer available anywhere. I suppose if I lived in a city, I might be able to hunt them down but with only two major grocery stores here, neither seem to stock the products anymore. I look at the shelves and except for very high-priced specialty items, one or two brands seem to encompass the entire selection available. So much for choice.

I also find that when the flyers come out here, both grocery stores have the exact same items on 'sale' for almost the same price most of the time.

Over two years ago now, I clipped an article from the National Post that forecast a steep rise in the price of food in the coming years. It came more quickly then even they had expected.
I think that these reports pass on ideas to the powers that be in the sense that "people have been told to expect a rise in costs so - let's give it to them" and we can't do anything about it. The vast majority of people either do not have the space to grow a garden, or the time to grow one (I know you will disagree with me on that Petros but it's true), not everyone is good at it because you do have to care about it. I like to grow flowers but I really could care less about growing vegetables. People don't all have room for a freezer. I find as we get older, food sits in the freezer longer and often hits the trash because it's been there too long. I guess retailers know all this and count on it.
In regard to choices - I see even here where we have too many stores, items are dropping off the shelves. I had difficulty buying ginger snaps for my Thanksgiving Cheesecake base. SOM has taken them off their shelves except for the organic section where a simple bag of gingersnaps cost me a small fortune.
I did return to home canning this year and will do even more next year. I like the idea of how well the food is cleaned before it goes in the jar and of knowing where it came from. Even at fruit stands you have to be careful though. I saw lots of signs on fruit in the Okanagan that showed "imported". No savings on freezing corn. It was $8.00 a dozen when we were there this summer. No one was buying it and why would they?

Driving all over hell's half acre to save on your food bill is a pt. time job all on it's own.
That's true and it not only costs you time, it costs gas money and once again, retailers count on it. They know if they can put one item on sale that brings in the masses, there is a good chance you will do the rest of your shopping while you are there.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The vast majority of people either do not have the space to grow a garden, or the time to grow one (I know you will disagree with me on that Petros but it's true), not everyone is good at it because you do have to care about it. I like to grow flowers but I really could care less about growing vegetables. People don't all have room for a freezer.
Psssst windowfarms - Google Search

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I haven't bought green onions, radishes, peas, peppers, strawberries, cherry toms, lettuce, celery, oregano, cilantro, basil, etc etc etc for years thanks to simply growing them in the window all winter long.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I haven't bought green onions, radishes, peas, peppers, strawberries, cherry toms, lettuce, celery, oregano, cilantro, basil, etc etc etc for years thanks to simply growing them in the window all winter long.
Ha! My husband was suggesting to me that since we have such a great "growing window" it might be a really good idea to start growing some herbs. I told him he was welcome to go for it if he wanted to but - I don't want my window cluttered up so it's not going to happen. Might be a plan. Everyone who comes to my door can see right into my kitchen. I have to finish my curtains!!!! There is nothing as un-nerving as having people knocking on your window because they can see you! What happened to the good manners of simply knocking on the door rather than peeking through the slats of my blinds and window knocking!
I guess I could bring in the cherry tom's that are still growing out on the patio. They are tall. Lots of tomatoes but it's cold now (too chilly for tomatoes anyway) and the tomatoes are green! I don't cook with fresh herbs so I'm not sure I would like it. Guess I should go out on a limb and try it! :smile:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I switched from canola long ago to grapeseed oil, and sometimes olive oil.

I started using rice oil and cocoanut oil, talloola. Actually, I find that I use very little oil now compared to the litres I used to go through.

I think that these reports pass on ideas to the powers that be in the sense that "people have been told to expect a rise in costs so - let's give it to them" and we can't do anything about it. The vast majority of people either do not have the space to grow a garden, or the time to grow one (I know you will disagree with me on that Petros but it's true), not everyone is good at it because you do have to care about it. I like to grow flowers but I really could care less about growing vegetables. People don't all have room for a freezer. I find as we get older, food sits in the freezer longer and often hits the trash because it's been there too long. I guess retailers know all this and count on it.

I don't have a garden either, VI. My soil is clay and rocks - lots of rocks, tiny ones and great big ones and everything in between. My neighbor, Roy has a greenhouse and outdoor gardens and I can run up anytime I want to from early summer to late fall and get great fresh produce. The tomatoes were late here this year and we are now enjoying huge beefsteak and wonderful cherry tomatoes. I like supporting him and for the price I simply couldn't do it better myself. Next year he is expanding his strawberry beds and will be able to sell those too. Right now I buy cukes - both kinds, radishes, carrots, peas, lettuce, green peppers and tomatoes from him.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I started using rice oil and cocoanut oil, talloola. Actually, I find that I use very little oil now compared to the litres I used to go through.

I don't have a garden either, VI. My soil is clay and rocks - lots of rocks, tiny ones and great big ones and everything in between. My neighbor, Roy has a greenhouse and outdoor gardens and I can run up anytime I want to from early summer to late fall and get great fresh produce. The tomatoes were late here this year and we are now enjoying huge beefsteak and wonderful cherry tomatoes. I like supporting him and for the price I simply couldn't do it better myself. Next year he is expanding his strawberry beds and will be able to sell those too. Right now I buy cukes - both kinds, radishes, carrots, peas, lettuce, green peppers and tomatoes from him.

nothing better than knowing a gardiner close by, who grows many good quality foods, where one can
purchase them for your own consumption.
I grow a few things, but not too much, don't to do too much garden work, just enough to satisfy my
need to play in the dirt. lol

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

I actually don't know of any place anywhere near my house that sells fresh veggies. In the Okanagan we could and did go everywhere. They used to hold a Farmer's Market every Friday in the parking lot of the curling rink. Probably still do. There was a Farmers Market here called The Shady Mile. By all appearances, they went belly up and sold. The last time we were there their products were high priced and going bad and we have never been back. Even it's not that close.
Maybe Juan will see this and make a suggestion.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I actually don't know of any place anywhere near my house that sells fresh veggies. In the Okanagan we could and did go everywhere. They used to hold a Farmer's Market every Friday in the parking lot of the curling rink. Probably still do. There was a Farmers Market here called The Shady Mile. By all appearances, they went belly up and sold. The last time we were there their products were high priced and going bad and we have never been back. Even it's not that close.

Hi Vanisle
We have a small garden but the problem is that our yard has the wrong exposure and we are surrounded by
tall trees. We grow most of the herbs we use and this year we had cherry tomatoes , Acorn squash, and cucumbers.
With some herbs we find it is better to use the dried stuff from the store.

Some fresh veggies are grown in hot houses during the off-season but most of the Farmer's Markets are closed
in the Winter months.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We can buy from the farmers market twice weekly here in the comox valley, and in the winter they move

into 'The natives sons hall' complete with music, its very down home and inviting, still with veggies,

then also winter and xmas baking and other foods.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Is that the same "Shady Mile" where years ago they used to line all the pumpkins up beside the road?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Hmmmm..... buying whole beef tenderloin from Costco and cutting your own steaks is ALOT cheaper than buying tenderloin steaks from Safeway. Same with the rib roasts. Check the price per kilo.

That's what I do...works out to between 2 and 3 bucks a steak