Food has become extremely expensive

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
When you look at the increase in food cost compared to the inflation on other items this argument shows to be rather ridiculous. A liter of gas is up 500% over 1980, a loaf of bread is up 500% over 1980, a t-shirt is up 500% over 1980...all approximate of course.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When you look at the increase in food cost compared to the inflation on other items this argument shows to be rather ridiculous. A liter of gas is up 500% over 1980, a loaf of bread is up 500% over 1980, a t-shirt is up 500% over 1980...all approximate of course.

I disagree, food has goine up faster in the past two years than in the previous two years. Food we buy almost daily, tee shirts maybe once every six months. We know gas is a ripoff but then again maybe not when compared to European countries. How much does the farmer get paid per ton of cow compared to two years ago?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Tonight's big news item - The cost of Peanut Butter is going to rise sharply!! Better buy a couple of jars now.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The bigger problem than a few percent on the price of food is that the general cost of living has risen by 100% in the last decade while the average income has only risen by 15-20%. The disparity gets even worse if you look at the last 25-30 years.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
And one more thing don't get sucked in by "Two for the price of one", you'll notice pork chops at $35 a kg. :lol:

You can save some money at Costco if you are feeding a large family and a lot on non edible products that you can buy in huge quantities. There is no saving on their meat. There is not much choice of brand names at Costco. I quit them years ago. You can do as well by watching flyers and case lot sales.

JLM one just has to know what the prices are in the local shopping market, then compare, sometimes I get
great buys at costco on meats, and sometimes not. I do shop the flyers, but many times costco is still
more economical, but I do notice 'now' that the local supermarkets are competing with costco, so the
buyer is getting more breaks because of them coming here, they all want our business, so shop and compare.

sometimes its safeway, sometimes thriftys, sometimes quality foods or costco.

we are not a large family, but a large quantity can be separated and frozen in 2 or 3 packages, which
saves money.

I will shop all of the grocery depts. for the items each of them have on special, its not far to drive to all
of them.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
JLM one just has to know what the prices are in the local shopping market, then compare, sometimes I get
great buys at costco on meats, and sometimes not. I do shop the flyers, but many times costco is still
more economical, but I do notice 'now' that the local supermarkets are competing with costco, so the
buyer is getting more breaks because of them coming here, they all want our business, so shop and compare.

sometimes its safeway, sometimes thriftys, sometimes quality foods or costco.

we are not a large family, but a large quantity can be separated and frozen in 2 or 3 packages, which
saves money.

I will shop all of the grocery depts. for the items each of them have on special, its not far to drive to all
of them.
Oh you guys are so lucky you have choices. Out here in the boonies, Jimmy Pattison's Overwaitea has a monopoly and us by the balls. I will be asking if I can buy a case of peanut butter for a discount tomorrow, that's for sure.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Oh you guys are so lucky you have choices. Out here in the boonies, Jimmy Pattison's Overwaitea has a monopoly and us by the balls. I will be asking if I can buy a case of peanut butter for a discount tomorrow, that's for sure.
PB has been quietly rising in price for a couple of months. I went to buy a new jar a month or so ago and was really taken back by the price. So - I searched the shelves for a different brand and found that Skippy's was on sale so - I bought it. The kids can go through it quickly as can my husband. So - I bought a new jar again the other day. Again - high prices. The best buy I could find without store hopping was Western Family brand. It's an okay brand so I bought it. No one seems to notice if I change brands.
Jimmy Pattison owns this province. Radio stations, car dealerships, stores. Every place I turn I feel like he owns Nanaimo at the very least.
You are right though. It is nice to have the choice of shopping around a bit. Store owners count on people not having the time to do that. You would be amazed at how many people don't even glance at a flyer. At SOM now, you have to take your own coupon to the cashier. When I worked there, I could dig into my coupon drawer and scan it. Now each one is coded and the cashiers cannot use the same coupon more than once. Beyond ridiculous on the stores part, hard and stressful on cashiers because the customers get mad - really mad. Some will not bother with the purchase and others will make the lineup wait (and so they should) while they go find a flyer so they can get the coupon price. Thrifty's gives you points like SOM does if you have their card BUT, there is one price. Biggest complaint I had from customers and I agree with them. Be a point collector if you want to be but one price regardless of whether you have a card or not and what a silly silly waste of time to have a manager come all the way from upstairs or the storage area of the store just to let you scan the store card for tourists. The store owner seems to glory in irritating those that put the bread and butter on his table.
Talloola is right in saying you need to know your prices and shop flyers. Not everyone can do that. Quality foods has the best dinner buns. Costco and Thrifty's have good meat. Sometimes SOM has good meat.
Goober, I did not see them offering the card with the percentage back when I was in the store a couple of days ago. They used to be right in your face with it everytime you walked through the door. Drove me wild. I could walk to their store they are so close yet I hardly ever go there. I didn't have time to check out the cost of meat. I'll go look on Wednesday. Kids are out for a Pro D day tomorrow. Tag it onto a long weekend - right!!

Green head cheese, slimy ham....I think you need a new fridge.
Maybe he does and maybe I do. My fridge door is "sweating" on the bottom of the door. Worries me that something is going wrong.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I always buy Western Family Natural peanut butter. Only ingredient is peanuts.
My son eats that. I would consider it but - we don't eat a lot of PB between just the two of us and when the kids come in, while natural peanut butter would be healthier, it has to be kept in the fridge and then it's not readily spreadable. I do enough without running around remembering to take the PB out just in case they want a PB sandwich that day. Growing up that was all we had (me and you too) and I remember the times it would go rancid. Tasted gross. I don't know how that ever happened in a family with 6 kids but sometimes it did.
My husband certainly grew up with it but he doesn't like it now. It is a much nicer flavour.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I buy large jar of 'organic unsalted peanut butter' in costco, keep it in the frig, and about

15 seconds in the microwave makes it very spreadable, and its delicious.

I just take out a glob, put it in a small dish, and into the microwave while i'm slicing bread, etc.

my daughter lives in ucluelet, and the co op is their only supermarket, prices are far too high there, but
they have the monopoly, no competition, and people don't want to drive to port alberni.

if I lived there I would shop every two weeks elsewhere, I would not pay them to rip me off.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Once upon a time peanut butter had peanut oil in it. Now the more valuable peanut oil is extracted and then replaced with ****ty canola.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I buy large jar of 'organic unsalted peanut butter' in costco, keep it in the frig, and about

15 seconds in the microwave makes it very spreadable, and its delicious.

I just take out a glob, put it in a small dish, and into the microwave while i'm slicing bread, etc.

my daughter lives in ucluelet, and the co op is their only supermarket, prices are far too high there, but
they have the monopoly, no competition, and people don't want to drive to port alberni.

if I lived there I would shop every two weeks elsewhere, I would not pay them to rip me off.

From where Cliff lives it's a 100 miles to Nelson or Castlegar, so wouldn't want to drive that too often for peanut butter. :lol:

Once upon a time peanut butter had peanut oil in it. Now the more valuable peanut oil is extracted and then replaced with ****ty canola.

BUT Canola is healthy. :lol: