Earth Hour: Turn Off the Lights!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
By the way, this started in New Zealand. Need we say more??

What’s the problem with New Zealand, Yukon Jack? You got anything against New Zealand? It is a progressive, liberal country like Canada (New Zealand was the first country in the world to give women the vote). If I couldn’t live in Canada, Australia or New Zealand would be my second choice.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Re #39.

Do CO2 molecules in the atmosphere care if they were put there by where the per capita more or less than elsewhere?

India and China are up and coming countries, according to the post. So, let us suppose that about one third or so of both countries' population attained the comfortable middle-class level of wealth that here in North America we enjoy. That number then would be twice as high as than the total population of Canada and the U.S. And since they are on the same economic level, why should they not turn off their lights?

So, "load shedding" notwithstanding, if the well to do in India and China turned their lights off it would do more for the environment than the combined Canada and United States effort.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Sorry, Yukon Jack, Indians do their part every day (and I assume so do Chinese though I don’t know that). What earth hour is doing is telling the spoiled rotten people of developed world to experience for one hour what people in third world country experience every day (many of them don’t even have electricity).

I don’t think it is too much to do (well I suppose for a rabid anti-environmentalist, it is).

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Re #45.

So we are spoiled rotten?

DID somebody GIVE the Western World its richness and prosperity? Did somebody grant the Western World all the tools to achieve wealth, while denying it to India and China and the rest of the so-called "developing" world?

The United States and Canada have been in existence for less than 250 years. India and China have been there for thousands of years. Why are they just DEVELOPING?

My heart aches for the poor people who have no electricity. Blame their corrupt leaders who have been corrupt for centuries.

And tell THEM to turn off their lights.

Reactions: EagleSmack

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
What about 2 of the biggest polluters of all, representing nearly 1/3 of the world population? Are India and China included in any of your numbers above?

RanchHand, you seem to have plenty of ignorance about India and china. Sure, they are up and coming countries with plenty of potential.

They do consume a lot of energy. However, that is because of their population (more than a billion each). If you look at their per capita consumption, it is nowhere near that in USA or Canada.

An American or a Canadian switching off lights for one hour saves much more energy than an Indian or a Chinese switching it off for one hour.

And I don’t know about China, but India does much more than her part. One of my Indian friends told me (unfortunately I don’t have any Chinese friends) about a phenomena called ‘load shedding’.

Load shedding is Indian term for rotating blackouts. Over most of India, they switch power off several hours every day. That includes at least one or two hours every night. He tells me every night the whole town or city goes black for an hour or two.

The reason for this is that they have to. They just cannot supply enough power for all the people; they have too many people and too little energy available. The rich people have backup power, for which they have to pay extra and is very expensive. So while during normal hours they may have power over the whole apartment (very few people there have large, energy consuming giant houses like we do here), during load shedding, perhaps one or two rooms may have power.

So what we are doing here today (at least, those who are not rabid anti-environment are doing it), Indians do it every day, for several hours.

There is plenty of ignorance in USA (and to perhaps a lesser extent in Canada) about the rest of the world. You want India to switch off power? They do that for several hours every day, and it wouldn’t surprise me if China does the same thing.

My advice to you is, make friends with people from other countries, if your finances permit, travel to other countries. You will end up with a broadened perspective, and not the narrow perspective many Americans (and Canadians) have).

What does this scolding have to do with my question? I asked if you were including India and China in your population of one billion, most of the world, most of the developed world, etc etc etc. You don't post. You hoax. Typically, you start a thread and have multiple iterations of what you lead off with, depending upon how you're questioned.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
So we are spoiled rotten?

Yukon Jack, sure many of them are spoiled rotten. Many of them have never ventured out of North America. Even if they have they may have been to a resort in Mexico or at most Western Europe. They have no idea what is happening in the rest of the world.

In spite of that, many of them have surprisingly enlightened attitude. Many in USA and Canada care about the environment, about conservation, about reducing greenhouse gases.

Then there are rabid anti-environmentalists, who couldn’t give a damn as to what happens to the environment. I suppose it is pointless to tell them to do anything that will even remotely smack of saving the environment.

So this thread is really directed towards those who care about environment, to make them aware of the earth hour. As to those who don’t (like you), well, they may wish to go in the other direction, and keep more lights on than usual.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What does this scolding have to do with my question?

RanchHand, this has everything to do with the question. You asked why aren’t India and China participating in earth hour. And I gave a very satisfactory response as to why not (I notice you didn’t have any comeback for that).

Asking India or China to participate in earth hour would be like asking the man who can only afford to eat one meal a day to skip one meal a day, to see what it would feel like going without food. He does that every day and he doesn’t need any lessons in what it is like to go without food.

Similarly, it is nonsense to ask India and China to observe earth hour, they observe several earth hours every day.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"An American or a Canadian switching off lights for one hour saves much more energy than an Indian or a Chinese switching it off for one hour."

Absolutely correct. A 60 watt bulb consumes far more electrical energy in North America than in Asia.

Must be due to the exchange rate.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Asking India or China to participate in earth hour would be like asking the man who can only afford to eat one meal a day to skip one meal a day, to see what it would feel like going without food. He does that every day and he doesn’t need any lessons in what it is like to go without food."

NO IT IS NOT!!

Those in India or China who have electricity, (you know those who are as rich or richer than you) can turn off their lights just as easily as anyone here.

Pretending otherwise is just politically correct nonsense, no doubt, widely popular in New Zealand.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
While it's a struggle for some people in the world, for those of us in Canada it's a fun way to collectively get our minds on the way we use energy. Why does it have to boil down to the person in dire need being forced to do exactly the wrong thing as a way to beat the rest of us with guilt?

Turn off the lights for an hour, it won't hurt you. Those who can't join in carry on with my blessings. I'll get my jacket on, smoke a joint and sit on the balcony playing my accoustic for an hour.

I'm sure that both you and I will enjoy hour I'm off the computer. :lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Similarly, it is nonsense to ask India and China to observe earth hour, they observe several earth hours every day."

"India and China"?? Didn't you say earlier that you "don't know about China"?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
SirJosephPorter, you are crafty enough not to call me, personally, a "rabid anti-environmentalist", but I wonder, because you used that term in reply (#39 and #48) to my posts.

I outlined in post #37 what I do day-in and day-out, 12 months a year every day for the environment.

For the simple fact that I don't subscribe to a firefly-like, flash-in-the-pan New Zealand inspired, politically correct nonsense, you imply that I and those who think as I do are "rabid anti-environmentalists".

I assume you will sit in darkness for an hour. That is your choice. But please tell me, besides that sacrifice, do you do at least as much as I do day-in and day-out?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Turning off your Low-Wattage High-Efficiency florescent bulbs
in your house for an hour while you sit in front of your power
gobbling TV's and Computers will show your solidarity for the
Cause that this Earth Hour represents. I wonder how much power
a furnace in Canada in March gobbles (electricity & Natural Gas
both)? Just curious....

This'll could a quiet place tonight for that hour if the people serious
about Earth Day turn off their computers for that hour. The handful
of people left here might get lonely....or maybe not so much. I curious
to see who'll be online at that time. 8O

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
What does this scolding have to do with my question?

RanchHand, this has everything to do with the question. You asked why aren’t India and China participating in earth hour. And I gave a very satisfactory response as to why not (I notice you didn’t have any comeback for that).

Asking India or China to participate in earth hour would be like asking the man who can only afford to eat one meal a day to skip one meal a day, to see what it would feel like going without food. He does that every day and he doesn’t need any lessons in what it is like to go without food.

Similarly, it is nonsense to ask India and China to observe earth hour, they observe several earth hours every day.

I think you are loosing it. You're responding to my post where I am telling you I did not ask the question you answered by answering the question again. In a generic sense, in other words not a moral sense, it's dishonest for you to continue posting like you do.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
"Similarly, it is nonsense to ask India and China to observe earth hour, they observe several earth hours every day."

"India and China"?? Didn't you say earlier that you "don't know about China"?

Some people can join in within either country. Not like everyone lives in a hut you know.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"An American or a Canadian switching off lights for one hour saves much more energy than an Indian or a Chinese switching it off for one hour."

Absolutely correct. A 60 watt bulb consumes far more electrical energy in North America than in Asia.

Must be due to the exchange rate.

Yukon Jack, for your information, 60 watt bulb are a luxury in India and China, 25 watt being much more common. For one thing, rooms are smaller, and 25 watt bulb is enough for illumination. For another it is much cheaper to run than a 60 watt bulb.

Really, try to find out more about the rest of the world before you comment on it, you apparently have no idea what goes on in the third word. Even though an immigrant, you represent a typical Canadian or American, ignorant about what goes on outside North America. Try to visit India or China if you can, try to befriend Indians or Chinese. Then you will have a better idea of what goes on outside North America.