Earth Hour: Turn Off the Lights!

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Why do you include the Pyramids with the Vegas strip and Broadway?

RanchHand, that is easy. This is to show that many countries in the world are participating in the earth hour, not just USA.

Odd, thats all. You chose the two most light intensive places on earth, in the US, that will be darkened and lump them together with a few light bulbs in the middle east.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Most of the world is participating? SirJoe says the organizers are shooting for one billion, a pretty meaningless statement. Even if they got that many, do 'ya think it's most of the world?

RanchHand, if one billion people participate that is most of the developed world. The developing world does not come into it. They already consume a lot less resources than the developed world (per person). Many parts of developing world do not even have electricity.

So it wouldn’t make sense to talk of developing world in this context (electricity consumption). When I said most of the world, I meant most of the developed world, where substantial amount of greenhouse emission takes place.

Just silly.
You present this up front. When you wait until your challenged, which you habitually do, it would be impossible for anyone to not come up with a way to wiggle out.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So Messiah isn’t an insult.

Of course it is. You shouldn't believe everybody here can't see through your pretzel logic.

But even if it was, there is nothing wrong with it; it is perfectly acceptable to insult public figures.

At issue is not whether or not it is insulting to any public figure. At issue is whether reverting to name calling is a sign one has "run out of ideas" and by your own words, it is and you have

Now, I find it absolutely hilarious that anybody that questions the science of global warming...oops...I mean climate change....is labeled a denier. It's getting to the point where climate change proponents sound much like religious fundamentalists. I had to chuckle at Juan's post where it lists celebrities that are participating in this...I mean if Alanis Morissette is behind this it must be real good science.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
While we're at it. let's avoid anything water-based so we can make a statement about halting the tides too ... and look west so the sun will rise from that direction. Climate change is inevitable. It's an Earth cycle and would happen whether man is on this planet or not. I have a cigarette lighter. Will y'all bow to my feet if I make fire? If I tell you when the next lunar eclipse will be, does that make me God?

Reactions: EagleSmack

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
While we're at it. let's avoid anything water-based so we can make a statement about halting the tides too ... and look west so the sun will rise from that direction. Climate change is inevitable. It's an Earth cycle and would happen whether man is on this planet or not. I have a cigarette lighter. Will y'all bow to my feet if I make fire? If I tell you when the next lunar eclipse will be, does that make me God?

Wow! A man made global warming denier. Somebody who admits there is global warming, but denies that humans have anything to do with it. Everyone can have their own opinion, but I can't see how pumping 8 trillion tons of carbon dioxide, a known greenhouse gas into the atmosphere, can have no effect.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Wow! A man made global warming denier. Somebody who admits there is global warming, but denies that humans have anything to do with it. Everyone can have their own opinion, but I can't see how pumping 8 trillion tons of carbon dioxide, a known greenhouse gas into the atmosphere, can have no effect.

Nothing new, Juan.... I've been saying it all along. I've also been saying that man's addition may have made it come a little faster or may not have. I don't suppose an inter glacial period has ever actually been measured.

Frankly, I think the Church of Global Warmers overestimates the power of man.

I may join the light dimmers ... but more to deny Hydro an hour of sales....

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Juan, global warming deniers come in many sizes and shapes. The thing that have in common is of course that they are all strong anti-environment, they couldn’t’ give a damn about what happens to the environment.

But they come in many shapes and sizes.

Some deny that global warming is taking place. According to them earth is cooling down and we are about to enter an ice age.

Some admit that global warming is taking place, but claim that it is a good thing.

Some admit that global warming is taking place and it may increase earth’s temperature and it is not a good thing, but claim that it is all caused by nature, that man has nothing to do with it (I am old enough to remember Reagan’s famous quote, ‘trees cause pollution’).

Still some others (and I include religious right among these) don’t give a damn. So we are producing greenhouse gases in large quantities, maybe that is increasing the temperature. So who cares? Bible has given humankind a God given mandate to pollute, and there is nothing wrong with people producing greenhouse gases.

So while many people, many scientists (including scientific consensus) think that we are producing too much greenhouse gases, deniers couldn’t give a damn (though they come at it from several different angles).

Last edited:

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Quoting SirJosephPorter Most of the world is participating? SirJoe says the organizers are shooting for one billion, a pretty meaningless statement. Even if they got that many, do 'ya think it's most of the world?

RanchHand, if one billion people participate that is most of the developed world. The developing world does not come into it. They already consume a lot less resources than the developed world (per person). Many parts of developing world do not even have electricity.
So it wouldn’t make sense to talk of developing world in this context (electricity consumption). When I said most of the world, I meant most of the developed world, where substantial amount of greenhouse emission takes place.

---------------------------------------------------

Just silly.
You present this up front. When you wait until your challenged, which you habitually do, it would be impossible for anyone to not come up with a way to wiggle out.
-----------------------------------------------------------
It is not wiggling out RanchHand (well, in your opinion, perhaps), it is a fact.

---------------------------------------------------------------
What's a fact? You're so tied up in your underwear with your answers it's not possible to see through your smoke screen.
First you say "most of the world".
Then it's "shooting for one billion".
Then it's "most of the developed world."
Then it's "one billion people represents most of the developed world".
What about 2 of the biggest polluters of all, representing nearly 1/3 of the world population? Are India and China included in any of your numbers above?
Fact? I don't think so. The only fact Sir, is that your are indeed a wiggler. I suggest you change your signiture to "uh yeah,... that's the ticket"

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Nothing new, Juan.... I've been saying it all along. I've also been saying that man's addition may have made it come a little faster or may not have. I don't suppose an inter glacial period has ever actually been measured.

Frankly, I think the Church of Global Warmers overestimates the power of man.

I may join the light dimmers ... but more to deny Hydro an hour of sales....

Hey Wolf

I won't try to convince you, but what convinces me, is that since the start of the industrial revolution, we've pumped over eight trillion tons of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere. As the level of carbon dioxide level rose, so rose the global temperatures. I can't believe it is a coincidence. Since I turned seventy, it is not my problem anymore.....It's my kid's problem...;-)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Hey Wolf

I won't try to convince you, but what convinces me, is that since the start of the industrial revolution, we've pumped over eight trillion tons of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere. As the level of carbon dioxide level rose, so rose the global temperatures. I can't believe it is a coincidence. Since I turned seventy, it is not my problem anymore.....It's my kid's problem...;-)

What convinces me is coal. What convinces me are eskers, moraines and a Great Lakes Basin left over from the most recent ice age just twelve thousand years ago. What convinces me is a big round red boulder on an outcrop of four billion year old black rock behind my place. What convinces me are minnows and frogs in abundant quantities in a small lake that just twenty years ago was devoid of any life due to acid rain.

Nowhere have I ever denied we are polluting this earth at an alarming rate. Nowhere have I denied we may have sped the process a bit. On a planetary scale, we are but a heartbeat. What I deny is we can halt the cycle ... and I believe the results would be catastrophic for the planet if Man was ever granted that power. Look what we've done to the animal kingdom.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Every single light bulb in my house is of the flourescent kind.

I use three blue boxes to separate recyclables from garbage. (Even though Winnipeg does not seem to care a heck of a lot). And I try to minimize my garbage output.

I walk when I don't have to drive.

I keep my thermostat at 72 at day and 68 at night in winter and my air conditioner at 74 in summer.

I use reusable shopping bags.

And as a typical dominating white male, I order my wife to do the same.

So, I think I do my fair share for the envirionment. I think I deprive enough plants and trees of their well deserved CO2 by my politically correct actions described above.

But I will damned if I participate in non-sensical and totally meaningless activity such as this. How is something like this different from marching, carrying posters, yelling and shouting and declaring - let's say, Toronto, Vancouver or Callabogie - a nuclear-free zone? A few years ago that folly was the favourite of the same crowd who pushes this, at this time.

A normal person keeps light on only where he/she is. I promise I will not leave a light on in the crawl-space.

By the way, this started in New Zealand. Need we say more??

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Even the most staunch admirers refuse to subscribe to the faulty theory of "Global Warming".

Facing undeniable evidence they call it "Climate Change" now.

And they still never proved that it is caused by human activity.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What about 2 of the biggest polluters of all, representing nearly 1/3 of the world population? Are India and China included in any of your numbers above?

RanchHand, you seem to have plenty of ignorance about India and china. Sure, they are up and coming countries with plenty of potential.

They do consume a lot of energy. However, that is because of their population (more than a billion each). If you look at their per capita consumption, it is nowhere near that in USA or Canada.

An American or a Canadian switching off lights for one hour saves much more energy than an Indian or a Chinese switching it off for one hour.

And I don’t know about China, but India does much more than her part. One of my Indian friends told me (unfortunately I don’t have any Chinese friends) about a phenomena called ‘load shedding’.

Load shedding is Indian term for rotating blackouts. Over most of India, they switch power off several hours every day. That includes at least one or two hours every night. He tells me every night the whole town or city goes black for an hour or two.

The reason for this is that they have to. They just cannot supply enough power for all the people; they have too many people and too little energy available. The rich people have backup power, for which they have to pay extra and is very expensive. So while during normal hours they may have power over the whole apartment (very few people there have large, energy consuming giant houses like we do here), during load shedding, perhaps one or two rooms may have power.

So what we are doing here today (at least, those who are not rabid anti-environment are doing it), Indians do it every day, for several hours.

There is plenty of ignorance in USA (and to perhaps a lesser extent in Canada) about the rest of the world. You want India to switch off power? They do that for several hours every day, and it wouldn’t surprise me if China does the same thing.

My advice to you is, make friends with people from other countries, if your finances permit, travel to other countries. You will end up with a broadened perspective, and not the narrow perspective many Americans (and Canadians) have).

Last edited:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Anyway, I will come back to this thread later. It is my intention to keep this thread on the front page today, if possible, so that maximum number of posters will become aware of the earth hour."

This still born issue will be totally DEAD by 8:30 PM ET.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Here is an other idea, about as valid as this idea from one of the most politically correct places in the world, New Zealand and endorsed by - for the lack of anything better to do - by the equally politically correct liberals here.

Let us all pledge not to open our water taps for one hour, starting at 8:30 PM ET.

Surely that will help the desperate situation of flooding in Minnesota and North Dakota.

And since I live just up stream on the Red River from there, let us include Manitoba.