Confused about Christ?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I wonder what Motar will say if I tell him I am thinking of Joining CFI and other atheist/skepctic organizations, and actually am a member of the church of satan? lol.
Nothing. She is only here to proselytize her interpretation of the "written record". She doesn't care what you think or believe and is certainly not into responding to anything that proves her assumptions about the bible wrong.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
A lot of people here like to preach their own beleifs and attempt to convert others to them......
The worst Bible quoters here are actually atheists, they seem to read the Bible just to be able to argue about it.....
Most Christians I know don't.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
A lot of people here like to preach their own beleifs and attempt to convert others to them......
The worst Bible quoters here are actually atheists, they seem to read the Bible just to be able to argue about it.....
Most Christians I know don't.

You made me smile today, DS : ) I think yours is the most humble and honest post on this thread. I believe that our tone is just as important to the discussion as our content. It says a lot about who we are. There are different motives for participating in these discussions. The Lord knows them all. I am never disappointed in my experience here. Every exchange contributes to my faith in one way or another. Sincere thanks to all who walk with me here. You have all been a blessing to me.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17 NIV)

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
How many wives and concubines did David and Solomon have? Polygamy is part of the biblical marriage set up. It also says if you get your slave pregnant you have to marry her. If Adam and Eve had only two sons and one slew the other, how did the son beget children? Does this mean incest is also part of marriage? In the OT, marriage is a lot more than one man and one woman. You really don't know your bible coldstream.

David took a mistress Bethsheba, after watching her bathe. He had her husband, Uriah the Hittite, killed by way of a military assignment to remove obstacles to the affair. There is nothing in the story in Samuel, that condones this action. It is just an unglossed history.

The Old Testament is filled with lechery, murder, ethnic cleansing, war, adultery, incest, idol worship and homosexuality.. none of which is provided as a model of moral behaviour, simply a reflection on Man's fallen condition.

You have to go to the New Testament... to the Holy Family.. to bring into focus true nature and archetype of marriage and family. The Old Testament as a moral guide is incomprehensible without the New.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The biggest question around morals is: whose morals? Every religion has different moral standards and so do most individuals. Judging others by your personal moral standards is rather silly. I believe Jesus warned about that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If it keeps people from going feral or domestics the wild humans so be it. It changes at the gene level. Quite remarkable really for just words.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The biggest question around morals is: whose morals? Every religion has different moral standards and so do most individuals. Judging others by your personal moral standards is rather silly. I believe Jesus warned about that.
Pretty damn funny to hear you say that. You're judging other folks by your morals all the damn time.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
You made me smile today, DS : ) I think yours is the most humble and honest post on this thread. I believe that our tone is just as important to the discussion as our content. It says a lot about who we are. There are different motives for participating in these discussions. The Lord knows them all. I am never disappointed in my experience here. Every exchange contributes to my faith in one way or another. Sincere thanks to all who walk with me here. You have all been a blessing to me.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17 NIV)

An unanticipated grace - I am still smiling : )

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC

That seems to be the definition of moral relativism... which inevitably descends into radical individualism and societal breakdown. Jesus, in fact, warned us against that.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
That seems to be the definition of moral relativism... which inevitably descends into radical individualism and societal breakdown. Jesus, in fact, warned us against that.

The enemy of genuine Christianity is not atheism, but cultural christianity.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I agree. If you don't murder adulterous women and disobedient children, your society is circling the drain.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
The enemy of genuine Christianity is not atheism, but cultural christianity.

Cultural christianity is profession of faith in God based in biological and social birth into a particular family, church congregation or geographical region with historical ties to Christ. It is social and sentimental.

Genuine Christianity is Biblical. It is Christ-likeness in the life of one whose personal faith in God is grounded in Christ. It proceeds from the whole revelation of God in creation, in the entire written record, in relationship with Israel, and in the incarnation of Christ. It is personal and convictional. It requires a second, spiritual birth.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"Haven't you read,' he replied, 'that at the beginning 'the Creator made them male and female', and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh"? (Matthew 19:4-5)

In the human family, the genetic material of two combines as one in a child formed through sexual reproduction. Did Jesus have something else in mind when he declared, "and the two will become one flesh"?