Another Tamil ship on its way to our shores

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It is always interesting to watch the furore created by the arrival of another shipload of destitute people, while most Canadians placidly ignore the other 29,000 plus persons who arrive by air each year. For those who are interested that amounts to about 80 a day every day of the year. This shipload is just six days of the usual number of arrivals.

Or perhaps, get this. The other 29,000 refugees come to Canada via legal means which the majority of Canadians do not have a problem with?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Or perhaps, get this. The other 29,000 refugees come to Canada via legal means which the majority of Canadians do not have a problem with?

I think that's exactly the point. Pretty much everyone is accepted to Canada. There are far more than 30,000 new Canadians each year, and nobody minds. Because Canada is the most generous country when it comes to legitimate refugee and immigrant requests, one has to question the reasons behind an illegal entry into the country.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think that's exactly the point. Pretty much everyone is accepted to Canada. There are far more than 30,000 new Canadians each year, and nobody minds. Because Canada is the most generous country when it comes to legitimate refugee and immigrant requests, one has to question the reasons behind an illegal entry into the country.

There's immigrants and then there's immigrants. In the Greater Vancouver area alone there are over 100 violent gangs - many from Asia. We don't need that kind of sh*t. However there is a doctor and nursing shortage, so I bet if 20,000 QUALIFIED doctors and nurses arrived they'd be welcomed with open arms. We need people to contribute, not be a drag on the medical system, the welfare system, the legal system. :smile:

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
There's immigrants and then there's immigrants. In the Greater Vancouver area alone there are over 100 violent gangs - many from Asia. We don't need that kind of sh*t.
Indeed.
However there is a doctor and nursing shortage, so I bet if 20,000 QUALIFIED doctors and nurses arrived they'd be welcomed with open arms. We need people to contribute, not be a drag on the medical system, the welfare system, the legal system. :smile:
Yup.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
There's immigrants and then there's immigrants. In the Greater Vancouver area alone there are over 100 violent gangs - many from Asia. We don't need that kind of sh*t. However there is a doctor and nursing shortage, so I bet if 20,000 QUALIFIED doctors and nurses arrived they'd be welcomed with open arms. We need people to contribute, not be a drag on the medical system, the welfare system, the legal system. :smile:

The problem with doctors immigrating to Canada is that they have to re-qualify in Canada, and not everyone succeeds. It's better if they train here. Oil/gas and construction industries have hired immigrants with skills for years.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The problem with doctors immigrating to Canada is that they have to re-qualify in Canada, and not everyone succeeds. It's better if they train here. Oil/gas and construction industries have hired immigrants with skills for years.

Yep, I have heard of problems in that regard. Is it a real problem or something like an administrator's nose getting out of joint. If the guy's track record is good in Outer Mongolia, then I think they should put him to work - maybe not brain surgerin' the first week, but surely there is lots of work treating scrapes wounds and abrasions to keep a lot of them busy.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Yep, I have heard of problems in that regard. Is it a real problem or something like an administrator's nose getting out of joint. If the guy's track record is good in Outer Mongolia, then I think they should put him to work - maybe not brain surgerin' the first week, but surely there is lots of work treating scrapes wounds and abrasions to keep a lot of them busy.

The reason, as far as I know, is to maintain the quality of health care and doctors that Canada currently enjoys. There are many universities in the world, not all of which have the same standards and quality of education as Canada.

'Safe third country' pact? This is eight years old.....but interesting. Did this happen here?
Did these Refugees travel directly from their home country to Canada (?), or did they
have any stop-overs in other "Safe" countries on their way to Canada?

CBC News - Canada - 'Safe third country' pact puts refugees at risk, say critics

Thailand should become the first safe country, and Canada should set up an application processing office to separate real refugees from people that are looking to sidestep or circumvent the system.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The reason, as far as I know, is to maintain the quality of health care and doctors that Canada currently enjoys. There are many universities in the world, not all of which have the same standards and quality of education as Canada.

Yep I can see that point, however all of Canada is no longer "enjoying high standards" in all areas. Take Princeton B.C. that is down to one doctor to serve an area of possibly 15,000 people and has had to close it's E.R. on occasions and the next nearest hospital is 60 miles away. The time is close at hand where some rules are going to have to be softened.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Thailand should become the first safe country, and Canada should set up an application processing office to separate real refugees from people that are looking to sidestep or circumvent the system.

Thailand appears to be where this ship set sail from (or went missing from its docking
berth from anyway), but these future Canadians may not have been onboard the ship
in Thailand. Perhaps they where picked up elsewhere? Maybe from their own home
country even? At this point....who knows? But I'm curious...

South Asian Media Net

MV Sun Sea was turned away by Australia in June following a tip off from Sri Lanka
that it was on a money making human smuggling venture manned by the LTTE and
that it was carrying several leaders of the terrorist outfit disguised as innocent civilian.

The exact course and duration of the Thai-owned ship’s voyage is unknown. The
Sun Sea, until recently known as the Harin Panich 19, went missing from its berth at
Songkhla, a Thai harbour city, in the spring, according to media reports.

Australia's offer to land at Christmas Island for Immigration processing doesn't
count as these folks elected not to stop there it seems, once they where informed
they couldn't just land directly in Australia.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Yep I can see that point, however all of Canada is no longer "enjoying high standards" in all areas. Take Princeton B.C. that is down to one doctor to serve an area of possibly 15,000 people and has had to close it's E.R. on occasions and the next nearest hospital is 60 miles away. The time is close at hand where some rules are going to have to be softened.

Still, if I had a choice of being treated by a doctor educated in Canada versus a third world country, it's not a difficult choice. The shortage is being addressed by increasing applicants to medical schools. People from all over the world are trained in medical schools in Canada, with many returning to their country of origin to practice. I disagree with lowering the standards of medical education, as there are alternatives.

Thailand appears to be where this ship set sail from (or went missing from its docking
berth from anyway), but these future Canadians may not have been onboard the ship
in Thailand. Perhaps they where picked up elsewhere? Maybe from their own home
country even? At this point....who knows? But I'm curious...

South Asian Media Net

MV Sun Sea was turned away by Australia in June following a tip off from Sri Lanka
that it was on a money making human smuggling venture manned by the LTTE and
that it was carrying several leaders of the terrorist outfit disguised as innocent civilian.

The exact course and duration of the Thai-owned ship’s voyage is unknown. The
Sun Sea, until recently known as the Harin Panich 19, went missing from its berth at
Songkhla, a Thai harbour city, in the spring, according to media reports.

Australia's offer to land at Christmas Island for Immigration processing doesn't
count as these folks elected not to stop there it seems, once they where informed
they couldn't just land directly in Australia.

I understand the Canadian gov't is looking at some kind of offshore processing office, like Christmas Island, so Canada does not have to automatically accept people after they enter Canadian waters with the intention of illegally entering the country.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Still, if I had a choice of being treated by a doctor educated in Canada versus a third world country, it's not a difficult choice. The shortage is being addressed by increasing applicants to medical schools. People from all over the world are trained in medical schools in Canada, with many returning to their country of origin to practice. I disagree with lowering the standards of medical education, as there are alternatives.

I suppose there is cause for some concern. My new family doctor recently moved here from England and seems to be very competent. I have no problem at all with him. (for what I need him for) I might flinch a little at the thought of him cutting into my brain. I've also had good doctors from South Africa.................so third world doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. Bottom line is it's all what you need him for.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I suppose there is cause for some concern. My new family doctor recently moved here from England and seems to be very competent. I have no problem at all with him. (for what I need him for) I might flinch a little at the thought of him cutting into my brain. I've also had good doctors from South Africa.................so third world doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. Bottom line is it's all what you need him for.

Was the South African doctor by any chance Afrikaans?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

Medical doctors have to know it all, not just how to prescribe antibiotics, inject botox, and use a human vacuum cleaner to liposuck fat. Many tourists travel for cheap, elective, cosmetic, foreign surgery, with the latest result being the spread of a drug resistant virus from India. Should those doctors immigrate to Canada, without medical board approval, simply because there is a shortage of doctors in smaller districts?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Medical doctors have to know it all, not just how to prescribe antibiotics, inject botox, and use a human vacuum cleaner to liposuck fat. Many tourists travel for cheap, elective, cosmetic, foreign surgery, with the latest result being the spread of a drug resistant virus from India. Should those doctors immigrate to Canada, without medical board approval, simply because there is a shortage of doctors in smaller districts?

You got me there. We are quickly reaching the point where we will have a choice between the first aid man or nobody. To tell you the truth I think for 95% of procedures the nurse is probably as if not more competent than the doctor, but to be legally dead you should see the doctor first......................:lol::lol::lol:

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Uhh... are you saying England and South Africa are third-world?

:-?

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Not England, they are probably of similar standard to us- Africa definitely is.
England is definitely of the same standard as ourselves, and South Africa would be too... at least the white part.

South Africa is where they performed the world's first heart transplant.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
England is definitely of the same standard as ourselves, and South Africa would be too... at least the white part.

South Africa is where they performed the world's first heart transplant.

I remember it well, Dr. Chrisian Bernhard 1967 & the patient actually lived a year or so. But it was a great start.

I goofed there, his name was Louis Washkanski and he only lived 18 days. Still a great feat at the time.