Another Tamil ship on its way to our shores

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Kathie Bondar [B said:
You made your own country unliveable[/B], so now you want to do it to ours.

Of course there is a finite number of people we can accept into this country & I agree that it isn't feasible for everyone suffering from tyranny to just board a ship and come on over, but really do you really believe that they had a part in making their country unliveable? I get the impression you might turn a starving child away from your door because it's his fault he's hungry. :smile:

Regardless, it is an opinion. As such, it can be neither right nor wrong.

Why can't an opinion be right or wrong? :smile:

Dessolution

Apr 30, 2010
Unless someone forced you to board that ship, you chose the action and suffered the consequences. Now you come here uninvited, and by many many Canadians, unwanted, you want us to feed you, give you a home and employment. And what will you give us in return? Well, you will invite your extended family back home to board a ship, cry their eyes out for all their suffering and show up at the Canadian port of entree and demand admittance, free food and shelter and employment. And when they all got it, they will invite their remaining extended family members back home to board a ship heading for Canada....
How many millions are we talking about?
You made your own country unliveable, so now you want to do it to ours.

I may be against this illegal boat arriving in B.C. but your post is ridiculous in so many levels I can't even get a few chuckles out of it. Have you actually tried removing the very large object where the sun don't shine and pick up a local newspaper?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Who are these people?
... Gary Anandasangaree, a lawyer representing the Canadian Tamil
Congress, said those he met were teachers, engineers, journalists,
fishermen, farmers and businessmen. Some had visible wounds suffered
during the country’s civil war, including a journalist who had been
shot, he said. Most had been in displaced persons camps inside Sri Lanka
and complained of being harassed by the victorious army, Mr.
Anandasangeree added.<p>“The journey was an absolutely horrendous
experience. Conditions were deplorable. Nobody in their right mind would
put their child through that unless there was a good reason,” said
immigration lawyer Robert Blanshay...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...hare-intelligence-on-migrants/article1675194/

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
It is always interesting to watch the furore created by the arrival of another shipload of destitute people, while most Canadians placidly ignore the other 29,000 plus persons who arrive by air each year. For those who are interested that amounts to about 80 a day every day of the year. This shipload is just six days of the usual number of arrivals.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Actually, what's truly interesting, is watching the usual suspects, go at a Muslim, when Islam reared its head...

Poor, poor, Kathie

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is always interesting to watch the furore created by the arrival of another shipload of destitute people, while most Canadians placidly ignore the other 29,000 plus persons who arrive by air each year. For those who are interested that amounts to about 80 a day every day of the year. This shipload is just six days of the usual number of arrivals.

Absolutely - look at all the bastards we have in this country that were imported via the "proper channels". I don't think I can say it enough that George Bush Jr. was absolutely correct when he said terrorists were leaking into the U.S. through Canada. Of course a lot of Canadians hate George for just such remarks. The worst bastards of all are the ones in Ottawa who are allowing this to happen.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
According to the posts I have read these people are not welcomed because they are visible minorities if the ship were full of Caucasians would they be welcomed?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
According to the posts I have read these people are not welcomed because they are visible minorities if the ship were full of Caucasians would they be welcomed?

The problem is a lot of these "visible minorities" are getting to be "visible majorities" :lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
According to the posts you've read?

Can you show me some of these posts?

Because from where I sit, they look a lot like complaints about the illegality of human smuggling, and attempts to circumvent legitimate channels.

But I can see why you'd go right to the "race" card. It's the "Liberal" thing to do when you have no reasoned debate to offer.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Because they are visible minorities? Maybe that's what you want to read. Seems to me the objection is because they couldn't be bothered standing in line with the legal claimants. Skin tone has nothing to do with pushy.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
How do people that make 4K a year come up with 40K for an illegal boat ride?

Apparently it's only possible under the following conditions:

"We have undergone severe hardships with very little or no access to basic necessities such as food, water, sleeping space, medicine and sanitary facilities."

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Arriving on our shores and claiming refugee status is a perfectly acceptable and recognized way to get into the system as a refugee.

If you have time to sit around your native country and apply for immigration paperwork, you wouldn't qualify as a refugee, since you could hardly be in danger if you're happy to do the paperwork and wait times.