Another Tamil ship on its way to our shores

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
We have Tamil Nadu as province of India, there is Tamil Eelam as part ot Sri Lanka (I like Ceylon better, then again that's a reminder of the BE) how close do you think we are to the Tamil Vadamoli (north) province/county/regional muncipality being established in Canada. Here we have another of the "largest disporas" of peoples coming to the country. The Tamils seem to precieve themselves as "pseudo-nation builders" in both India & Sri Lanka are we to expect the same sort disobiedence as they further establish themselves in Canada?

Kathie Bondar

Kathie Bondar
May 11, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
The fact that they have paid thousands of dollars to make the trip doesn't sound like "refugee material" to me. I am skeptical of those on board and I think they should have been provided with food and water and sent back BEFORE entering Canadian waters.

The another side worries me too, (the smuggling part). If these are true refugees, where did they get the money and, if they haven't paid, what are they expected to do here in Canada in order to repay the debt? The fact that most will be released before their immigration hearings never to be heard from again is also extremely frustrating.

Oh, and by the way, notice how a "token" few women and children were on board but the majority were men?? I wonder what the average age of the men were.

All in all, the whole thing stinks and we need to something now. Why aren't we going into the refugee camps and hand picking people?? Just wondering....

JMO

:glasses11::canada:The fact that the majority omboard were men is a strategic move. Once they are accepted in Canada they are able use the Canadian immigration system of bringing out immediate family members such as a spouse, children, parents or siblings. If the siblings have families, they then can apply to bring out their respective family members, so that the numbers explode exponentially. Tamils are not the only ones knowing the ropes, Russian Jews among others used it most effectively.:angel7:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I was listening to Cross Country Checkup on CBC and a caller brought up the issue of how much each of these bota people had paid to travel to Canada. However, one of the experts on the program pointed out that if they had used the money to apply for refugee status from Sri Lanka they would probably have been hunted down and killed as soon as they left the Canadian consulate. I have no idea if this is true, but if it is then there is some excuse for attempting to reach Canada in the way they chose.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
:glasses11::canada:The fact that the majority omboard were men is a strategic move. Once they are accepted in Canada they are able use the Canadian immigration system of bringing out immediate family members such as a spouse, children, parents or siblings. If the siblings have families, they then can apply to bring out their respective family members, so that the numbers explode exponentially. Tamils are not the only ones knowing the ropes, Russian Jews among others used it most effectively.:angel7:
Hmmm, Tamils....Jews...No one else you want to center out by name, that plays this game Kathie Bondar?

I was listening to Cross Country Checkup on CBC and a caller brought up the issue of how much each of these bota people had paid to travel to Canada. However, one of the experts on the program pointed out that if they had used the money to apply for refugee status from Sri Lanka they would probably have been hunted down and killed as soon as they left the Canadian consulate. I have no idea if this is true, but if it is then there is some excuse for attempting to reach Canada in the way they chose.
Considering the large Tamil population in Scarborough. Much of it legal. I'm going to call BS on that one bru. But I can understand why he would say it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

In order to sponsor a family class immigrant to Canada, you have to prove that you can support them without any government assistance for 10 years minimum.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
CB and I disagree with each other regarding the Israel/Palestine conflict. He thinks anyone who dares criticize Israeli war crimes and crimes against humanity is anti-Semitic. I think he's an Islamaphobic bigot, and CC's resident troll.

If you'd like to come up to speed on our disagreement, here is one link:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/i...0417-sixth-annual-israeli-apartheid-week.html

Most Tamil refugee claimants are allowed to stay in Canada because they are able to prove they face persecution or worse in their home country.
YouTube - Louise Arbour, President and CEO of Crisis Group, on Sri Lankan War Crimes

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In order to sponsor a family class immigrant to Canada, you have to prove that you can support them without any government assistance for 10 years minimum.

Does that work?

If it is enforced good for Canada. That is a policy we really need to model after. All you need to do is get here and apply for free money, food and housing. Feed from the tax payer funded trough and complain how bad you have it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Does that work?

If it is enforced good for Canada. That is a policy we really need to model after. All you need to do is get here and apply for free money, food and housing. Feed from the tax payer funded trough and complain how bad you have it.
That's pretty much how it goes here.

There are ways around the enforcement of the Sponsorship programs policies as well.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That's pretty much how it goes here.

There are ways around the enforcement of the Sponsorship programs policies as well.

Then I envy those policies that you have. Even having them in place is light years ahead of the US. All they need to do is get here.

I was reading an article of an immigrant who came here to Massachusetts on a travel visa and was complaining that she is having difficulty seeking aid for her family. Clearly she is not just visiting. She and her family intends on staying.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There was an interesting article in the Globe and Mail a few days ago, about the Tamil refugees who are presently in either Thailand or the Phillippines, waiting for another ship to take them to Canada.

That blows the rules about first stop, so I'd say in future, refuse the ship, send them back home.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
There was an interesting article in the Globe and Mail a few days ago, about the Tamil refugees who are presently in either Thailand or the Phillippines, waiting for another ship to take them to Canada.

That blows the rules about first stop, so I'd say in future, refuse the ship, send them back home.

I read that article as well, really got my blood boiling.

Is Thailand oblivious to the human smuggling occurring on their turf or are they just turning a blind eye to it?