Another Tamil ship on its way to our shores

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Isn't burial at sea a "proper" burial?

Doesn't that depend on the religion?

CTV news said one death and a burial at sea.

Hmmph! Now the freakin' link works....

Was there a roster of people on the ship?

All I can say is thankfully you are not the one that decides what happens to them.

Why? Because I would interpret actions through law, and question whether these perfectly healthy, non-refugees should be rewarded for their decision to try to sneak into the country?

Apparently Thailand is being considered as a screening ground for illegal attempts at immigration. I welcome the idea. Canadians can overseas the processing of applications on neutral soil ... best for everyone.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Where are you getting this information the they're safe and healthy? And I'd hardly call them criminals at this point. Just simple refugees trying to get out of a bad situation.

Where do I get the information that boat people arriving on Canadian shores are safe and healthy? I posted the link and included text. It's well published. 6 of 490 were admitted to hospital: four children and two pregnant women. All were expected to be quickly released. Everyone (except the dead guy) appeared to be safe and healthy, no communicable diseases, no suffering, everyone is well, they had a safe trip on a transport boat with cafeteria, washrooms, and separate accommodations for men and women.

It is illegal to enter Canada via a boat from Ceylon.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What the government is doing right now is fine with me. Detention untill we know the disposition of the individuals and then integration for the legitimate refuges, charges laid and trial for those that are determined to be smugglers and/or terrorists.

On this we agree.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Does religion make things "proper"? I would think it would have more to do with the wishes of the deceased. :smile:

In terms of burial? I don't know. It seems to me that different religions have different burial practices. We've got the pyre, wooden box six feet down, putting in the river, entombing, shrines, urns, mausoleums ... all sorts of practices based on differing philosophical beliefs. Religion doesn't make things proper, but it does dictate burial practice.

Wishes of the deceased are often self-evident when there is a religious belief.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is illegal to enter Canada via a boat from Ceylon.

Where is that carved in stone? Wouldn't it be OK if it was cleared by a Canadian honcho in Sri Lanka, after all documentation was checked and they all had their shots etc. & complied with all other rigmarole?

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
I've supported the taking in of american deserters.
DD trying to be diversionary? Seems to be a lot of that going around on CC. :|

A me too, here. All through the Vietnam war (we lived just a couple of miles from the border), gave shelter, food, clothes, rides, maps, directions to organizations that would help them, etc. In those days Canadians and their government did decent things like that without whinging about the cost.

<To bring this back on topic:> Anyway everyone, especially the 'mericans, seems to want to ignore how on 9/11 Canada, without hesitation or fear of terrorists getting into our country <EEEK!>, opened up its airports to any incoming plane from any country originally bound for the US. There could have been more planes with terrorists equipped with box cutters on board any of those planes. The whole thing cost a bundle in taxpayers' money.

So why no shrieks of outrage about "undocumented aliens/terrorists/refugees", "why should I have to pay for these people?", and demands that they must be shot out of the skies or turned back home then?

We were providing a safe haven to those in danger, the decent and honourable thing to do - every time!

Reactions: gerryh

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

A me too, here. All through the Vietnam war (we lived just a couple of miles from the border), gave shelter, food, clothes, rides, maps, directions to organizations that would help them, etc. In those days Canadians and their government did decent things like that without whinging about the cost.

<To bring this back on topic:> Anyway everyone, especially the 'mericans, seems to want to ignore how on 9/11 Canada, without hesitation or fear of terrorists getting into our country <EEEK!>, opened up its airports to any incoming plane from any country originally bound for the US. There could have been more planes with terrorists equipped with box cutters on board any of those planes. The whole thing cost a bundle in taxpayers' money.

So why no shrieks of outrage about "undocumented aliens/terrorists/refugees", "why should I have to pay for these people?", and demands that they must be shot out of the skies or turned back home then?

We were providing a safe haven to those in danger, the decent and honourable thing to do - every time!

Were these people in danger? They seem to be quite all right. Only 6 of nearly 500 needed to see a doctor, two were pregnant, 4 children. It was probably two pregnant women and their combined 4 children. Safe haven? The war ended a year ago. Who would be trying to leave the country illegally after a war?

Try reading. From your link.

Yes. That's true, as is the rest of the article.

"He said most Tamil asylum-seekers were not members of the Tigers, and the number of fighters identified was small. Of these, most were mid-level members ... "

Maybe they're the small group of guys that ran the ship? The smugglers?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
CTV - as in television news.

So the dead guy was a registered guest on the boat, and he was buried at sea? Was he old, or just sick enough to want to access the Canadian medical system?

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Do people know *why* the Tamils were so put down?
You obviously don't.

You really should avoid making braod sweeping statements, when you have but a cursory understanding of the whole issue. It makes your posts rather moronic.

That's not being a bleeding heart IMO, that's stating accurate information.
Your posts are anything but.

So much for Canada's international reputation for non-racial, non-ethnic, non-religious based compassionate response to any peoples in crisis.
This being an excellent example of the inaccuracy of your posts. I can't see a single position in this thread, that is based on race, ethnicity or religion.

:roll: *Sigh*... I was being sarcastic, and it was the result of cross-thread thinking triggered by discussions in another thread about the purchase of F-35s being justified because some people think there's an ongoing threat from Russia.
Immm, ya, that would have been your posts, until you realized you were being made fun of. Stop posting nonsense and there won't be a need for you to make up cover stories to back peddle with.

Canada needs to do more work getting those issues settled WITH THE PEOPLE ALREADY THERE! Who thinks life in Canada among-and-between its citizens is Utopian?
Something I don't understand... if they were so hard done by, how did they organize and pay for the trip in the first place?
Nice whiplash post.

are you sure you wanted to admit that in here? Especially since it appears the majority in here seem to feel that if you're Tamil that makes you a terrorist or at the very least a terrorist sympathizer.
Oh boy another post that expressses a detachment from reality.

I came here as a child, through proper channels decades ago. The fact that these migrants coming to the country illegally doesn't sit right with me. Honestly? I'm uncomfortable with the idea that Canada actually let them in, and accidentally letting any terrorists in.
A similar opinion held by many in the Tamil community. Well, reasoned and rational Tamils anyways. Who in their right minds wants to be associated with criminal activity on the whole eh.

I hear you Dessolution.

Australia turned them away.
No, they got wind that Australia had titghtened its policies and would not allow them to land.

Did you have to sneak across the border, or declare yourself a refuge?
He likely did as most of the Tamils and SriLankans I know, he filed for immigration, and when accepted, came to Canada.

The point of your article is?

I've supported the taking in of american deserters.
When they're being wiped off the map, will that altruism still shine through for ALL Americans?

You being an exellent example thereof.

Ya, while it was funded and maintained by private citizens, not the taxpayer. Please do try and be factual in your posts.

Ya, that's on topic.

Because it sets a precedent.

If they were in danger because of outside forces. On that boat, they were at risk, because they put themselves there.

Why is it, laws, policies and rules only matter to you people, when it's supporting your ideology, theology or idiology? As soon as it's no longer convenient, out the window they go!

Is there any wonder, why the bulk of you are called the morally bankrupt left?

Does this mean you'll all be supporting the US's ousting of Saddam? The Taliban?

I mean it's all the same thing, isn't?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
The passenger that died of an illness was 37 years old, and in good health when he boarded the ship.

Tamil migrant died during ship journey from Thailand to B.C.

Per capita income is between 3700-4300.

"The human-smugglers behind the MV Sun Sea may have pocketed more than $20 million for ferrying a shipload of Sri Lankan migrants to the British Columbia coast last week. The passengers each paid $40,000 to $50,000 for the three-month journey from Thailand, Public Safety Minister Vic Toews told the National Post in a weekend interview. He said his officials had advised him the Tamil Tigers rebel organization was behind the operation, which he said was driven by profit motives.
"The evidence presented to me suggests that it's elements of the Tamil Tigers or LTTE."

Sea voyage may have yielded more than $20M for smugglers

Last edited:

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
Tamil migrants say they are fleeing mass murders

VANCOUVER — The Tamil migrants smuggled to the B.C. coast aboard the MV Sun Sea have released statements saying they are civilians fleeing disappearances and mass murders in Sri Lanka.
In a letter obtained by the National Post, a group of migrants detained at a prison near Vancouver thanked Canada and disputed what they called Sri Lankan government propaganda about them.

Letter 1:

These are the views we wish to express to the Canadian Government, Canadian people, media and Canadian Tamil Congress regarding our plight.
1. Initially, we would like to express our gratitude to the Canadian Government and the people of Canada. When we made our plea from the Pacific Ocean “we are civilians, please save us”, you did not hesitate to come and take us ashore and provide us with food, water, and fruits. This has assured us with the safety of our lives.

Letter 2:

We, the people who have arrived in the ship “Sun Sea” would like to express the following to the Canadian people and the Canadian Government:
We have undergone severe hardships with very little or no access to basic necessities such as food, water, sleeping space, medicine and sanitary facilities. We have traveled for almost four months with much suffering and pain. We have come here, to this wonderful country Canada, to protect ourselves and our family members from the murders, disappearances and violence that still exist in our native country.
As a country which has embraced immigrants and migrants, we hope and believe that you will accept us, the refugees and we vow to wholeheartedly abide by the law and order of this country.
- Tamil people from the Sun Sea ship

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Tamil migrants say they are fleeing mass murders

VANCOUVER — The Tamil migrants smuggled to the B.C. coast aboard the MV Sun Sea have released statements saying they are civilians fleeing disappearances and mass murders in Sri Lanka.
In a letter obtained by the National Post, a group of migrants detained at a prison near Vancouver thanked Canada and disputed what they called Sri Lankan government propaganda about them.

Letter 1:

These are the views we wish to express to the Canadian Government, Canadian people, media and Canadian Tamil Congress regarding our plight.
1. Initially, we would like to express our gratitude to the Canadian Government and the people of Canada. When we made our plea from the Pacific Ocean “we are civilians, please save us”, you did not hesitate to come and take us ashore and provide us with food, water, and fruits. This has assured us with the safety of our lives.

Letter 2:

We, the people who have arrived in the ship “Sun Sea” would like to express the following to the Canadian people and the Canadian Government:
We have undergone severe hardships with very little or no access to basic necessities such as food, water, sleeping space, medicine and sanitary facilities. We have traveled for almost four months with much suffering and pain. We have come here, to this wonderful country Canada, to protect ourselves and our family members from the murders, disappearances and violence that still exist in our native country.
As a country which has embraced immigrants and migrants, we hope and believe that you will accept us, the refugees and we vow to wholeheartedly abide by the law and order of this country.

The only thing I want to hear now is how many are refugees and how many are sub human scum and what is going to transpire with the latter. :smile:

Kathie Bondar

Kathie Bondar
May 11, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Letter 2:

Unless someone forced you to board that ship, you chose the action and suffered the consequences. Now you come here uninvited, and by many many Canadians, unwanted, you want us to feed you, give you a home and employment. And what will you give us in return? Well, you will invite your extended family back home to board a ship, cry their eyes out for all their suffering and show up at the Canadian port of entree and demand admittance, free food and shelter and employment. And when they all got it, they will invite their remaining extended family members back home to board a ship heading for Canada....
How many millions are we talking about?
You made your own country unliveable, so now you want to do it to ours.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
Unless someone forced you to board that ship, you chose the action and suffered the consequences. Now you come here uninvited, and by many many Canadians, unwanted, you want us to feed you, give you a home and employment. And what will you give us in return? Well, you will invite your extended family back home to board a ship, cry their eyes out for all their suffering and show up at the Canadian port of entree and demand admittance, free food and shelter and employment. And when they all got it, they will invite their remaining extended family members back home to board a ship heading for Canada....
How many millions are we talking about?

so much wrong with this post. from veiled racism and sheer ignorance i'm embarrassed for you.
to addreess "what will you give us in return", how about looking at what the Tamils in Canada have been doing

"Education is valued greatly in the Tamil Canadian culture. There are thousands of engineers, business owners, software programmers, medical doctors, accountants, financial analysts and social workers in the Tamil Canadian community. Canadian universities are filled with thousands of children from Tamil background, as university education is highly valued in the culture."
Tamil Canadian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't sound like they're exactly leeching off the Government does it?

There are many third world countries that are unlivable, you're blaming the citizens for that?

Last edited by a moderator: