Would you support a party that preaches more autonomy for each province?

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
If there existed a political party in Canada that preached ultra-autonomy for the provinces and the decentralization of the federal government, would you vote for it?

I'm awaiting your answers... It will be interesting to see what people think..

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The only real opposition to the PMO are the Premiers anyway. This is especially true in a majority government but now the opposition can't even take down a minority government!

The Provinces are going to have to fight for more power.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Well... I voted Bloc in the last election so it's pretty obvious I'd support such a party.

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
Absolutely not. Canada's balkanized enough as it is.

Well I would hardy deem Canada as a balkanized state.

Canada shares nothing in common with real Balkanized states like former Yugoslavia.

For starters our country has 2 main languages. English is the language of the majority in 8 provinces, French is the language of the majority in 1 province, and 1 province has both languages fluently spoken. The populations in the 3 territories are able to function with their own culture and language while being able to do so in English as well. So there are basically 2 main languages and cultures in Canada. In Yugoslavia, there were at least 6 main distinct languages spoken by majorities in different regions and 6 different cultures. Canada is pretty homogeneous when it comes to language and culture even with minority groups present as they tend to blend in nicely and preserve their cultures at the same time.

There were also at least 3 main religions in Yugoslavia which practically opposed each other. Here in Canada on the other hand, the majority are either catholic or protestant. Besides, Canada is a secular state so religion is not an issue. Also, the majority of people in different provinces in Canada don't dislike people from other provinces. The only reason there are certain quarrels in Canada between provinces is because of the centralized federal government that cannot please everyone.

Also, Yugoslavia was run with a communist system which is not the case in Canada.

We are not a balkanized state at all.

In Canada, people of different regions have different issues and priorities. They have been arguing amongst themselves because they have been played against each other by the federal government. The federal government wants to control everything and by doing so, cannot address all the regional issues..

All Canadians regardless of where they are from need defense, a strong economy, currency, banks, good public health care, and a clean environment. Only these things should be controlled by Ottawa because these are all common needs and priorities. The way it is now, Canada is like a "big house" where all the provinces have to fight to get the "best room". Canada should instead be like an "apartment complex" where each province decides what happens in its "own apartment" and the federal government acts as the administration of the "complex" providing needs common to all provinces.

All the rest of the powers should be in the hands of the provinces. The problem is that we know that each region is unique but we let Ottawa run the country as if we're all the same. That is what makes us clash. Additionally, we would not become any more balkanized because each region would run its won affairs and live peacefully. All Canadians want peace and want to live in harmony and this is exactly what would happen with a decentralized federal government. No more quarrels because of language, no more Western Canadians feeling alienated, and no more Quebec referendums. It would be great.

I can understand people being skeptical or even dead against the idea of decentralizing the federal government because it's perfectly normal.

People are afraid of change. People are afraid to take that extra step that could change everything. Yes people are afraid until they actually experience the benefits of that change and embrace it.

Last edited:

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
The only real opposition to the PMO are the Premiers anyway. This is especially true in a majority government but now the opposition can't even take down a minority government!

The Provinces are going to have to fight for more power.

The beauty of it is that the provinces don't have to fight for it. All the people of the provinces have to do is vote for it. All that's missing is a party to represent the idea...

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
No. Acctually if there were such a party I would have them tazered and arrested followed by short show trials and prison. But I'm not running things yet.

Well unfortunately for you, you're not running the country and judging by your fascistic statements and ideas, it looks like you never will. This is a free state where people have the right to have their own ideas and political parties can run in elections. That must really make you mad inside.

Too bad you weren't around in Nazi Germany though, you would have fit right in...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Balkanization... as opposed to Vulcanization which would bring it all together? The central government is the only thing holding this country together, except for the fear of becoming Americanized, as in the 51st State. Would that make us all instant war mongers?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"A house divided against itself, cannot stand"....Abe Lincoln. As true now as then, and I would not support any party that preached "balkanization"

Think about "states rights", and the American Civil War. We should have learned a lot from that.

A strong central government has always been a theme in Canadian government, and should continue to be so.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If there existed a political party in Canada that preached ultra-autonomy for the provinces and the decentralization of the federal government, would you vote for it?

I'm awaiting your answers... It will be interesting to see what people think..

That's a stupid question? I won't vote for anyone unless there's a ghost of a chance they are at least 5% competent and 2% honest as most of them don't aspire to those staggering heights.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I would support a party that wanted to take powers away from the provinces and redistribute them into either permanent municipalities or into more smaller provinces.

Right now provinces are too large to support their purpose (other than out east).

I'd take the Quebec , Ontario and the western provinces and cut them all into at least 2 provinces as a second option.

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
Balkanization is about a nation being divided into quarrelsome factions. I think it applies.

Yes you are right but as I already mentioned, the only reason there are quarrels is because the federal government model has forced factions to form. Also, like I already said, decentralization is the solution.

Please explain to me why you think the quarrels would continue after decentralization...

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
Balkanization... as opposed to Vulcanization which would bring it all together? The central government is the only thing holding this country together, except for the fear of becoming Americanized, as in the 51st State. Would that make us all instant war mongers?

I disagree that the central government is what's holding this country together.... Also, I strongly disagree that Canadians are afraid of becoming Americanized.

Canadians know whee they stand and know that they will never become the 51st state because our culture and values are distinct from that of the US.

You clearly have no faith in your country if you think Canadians will lose their identity by simply giving more powers to the provinces.

mit

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2008
SouthWestern Ontario
Wait till Harper gets a majority - The feds will shirk some responsibilities - passing the costs on to the lower tier government but at the same time influence greater control over our lives. His tough on crime stance is only the appetizer before the "tough on the middle class" programs start.