Why People Are Leaving Canada

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, here’s a quick summary of the reasons in the video:
1) The free healthcare isn’t free and the system is overwhelmed with very little or no flexibility to be able to pay your way through.
2) Yes Bill, they get bored and homesick, Tired of feeling like they stand out even when they’re accepted, and the two weeks off a year for vacation isn’t anything like they’re used to coming from elsewhere…
3) Tying into that is once they have a Canadian passport they can go damn near anywhere.
4) Their professional certifications from their home countries may not be recognized in Canada. That’s a big issue.
5) Canadian weather. It’s not great 2/3rds of the year, and the extremes that Canadians find as normal are extremes for anyone elsewhere except Siberia.
6) The rest of it comes down to money:
-A shitty work life balance
-Canada is expensive just to stay alive, from rents to real estate to phone bills and insurance, etc…so cost of living. They note that the inflation is outpacing the pay in this country.
-taxes are very high compared to most other places
-if they’ve happened to have made some money it’s too expensive to stay here and retire compared to their home countries.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Well there has been some signs that emmigration has been picking up again. And it's not like they don't raise some valid points.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
This Just In-You must pay taxes to pay for living here and taxes fund services you might not use.

This reminds me of the US American singer Lauryn Hill who thought 'she shouldn't pay taxes because she wasn't part of the system'.

She ended up behind bars for her trouble/had to pay all the back taxes and fines on top of that.

And of course lawyer's fees-always pay lawyers first.

• Love
Reactions: Tecumsehsbones

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This Just In-You must pay taxes to pay for living here and taxes fund services you might not use.

This reminds me of the US American singer Lauryn Hill who thought 'she shouldn't pay taxes because she wasn't part of the system'.

She ended up behind bars for her trouble/had to pay all the back taxes and fines on top of that.

And of course lawyer's fees-always pay lawyers first.
Hey, that Mercedes ain't cheap!

• Haha
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I would emigrate in a heart beat if only I could find a place that:

- had good health care (god forbid that I'd need it but likely would eventually)
- weather that averaged 25C all year around
- cost of living was reasonable & affordable based on what I make each year
- good transportation hub so that I could return to visit whenever I wanted to
- affordable housing (see #3)

If I could find this place, I would go no problem.

I hate shoveling snow and cold weather hurts my bones. But so far, there hasn't been anywhere that I'd rather be at present because there isn't anywhere else that would fully fill my requirements.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

- had good health care (god forbid that I'd need it but likely would eventually)

I hate shoveling snow and cold weather hurts my bones. But so far, there hasn't been anywhere that I'd rather be at present because there isn't anywhere else that would fully fill my requirements.
Puerto Vallarta. It has a hefty concentration of mature ( Gen X) AB and SK inhabitants.

Last edited:

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea

That's Medellin in Colombia 'the city of eternal spring' -you need to speak Spanish though unlike Mexico there's next to no English to be found anywhere.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
That's Medellin in Colombia 'the city of eternal spring' -you need to speak Spanish though unlike Mexico there's next to no English to be found anywhere.
Actually, my husband spoke to a guy in Medellin who was working the telephones for one of the applications he was having an issue with. He was a Canadian who moved there and said it was a fantastic place to live and he loved it there. I asked hubby if the Cartels were an issue and apparently they're not - the cartels are mostly in the country side where they can keep track of who goes in and out. I was actually really surprised, not that I'd want to go there myself. Just thought it was interesting.