Where will Canadian doctors go?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
What can Canada's Left do to bring your Right wing back into believing in Canada again. I think they maybe slavishly devoted to the United States because they see or saw themselves in a goverment like ours, lets not forget that the Canadian Right are patriotic, but to what they think Canada should be, not to what it is. Yes, the United States is very ultra patriotic, and that is not something that can be taught, it must be felt almost from birth. (You may need a Canadian John Wayne to begin feeling what we feel for the U.S.) Now of course things may have changed and were not right enough anymore, who knows anything now.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well....there's always South Africa I guess. I hear they have a
shortage 'cuz many of their Doctors are over working in Canada.

South Africa suffering as Saskatchewan takes its doctors: Top envoy

Yep, there's the old saying "what goes around comes around"- About 20 years ago a lot of nurses flocked off to the U.S., a lot to California, but a few years later a lot came back. They left for the money, but they came back because they started realizing money wasn't everything and all in all Canada wasn't such a bad place to live.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What can Canada's Left do to bring your Right wing back into believing in Canada again.

Nothing, short of converting Canada into a smaller, weaker version of USA.

I think they maybe slavishly devoted to the United States because they see or saw themselves in a goverment like ours, lets not forget that the Canadian Right are patriotic, but to what they think Canada should be, not to what it is.

Canada is basically a tolerant, progressive, liberal country, and the far right hates that with a passion. Thus, Canada legalized gay marriage, far right looks enviously towards USA where until recently, sodomy was a crime in Texas, punishable by ten years of imprisonment.

Canada has no death penalty. Far right looks to USA enviously where they do have the death penalty (the only developed country in the world to have death penalty, besides Japan). Canada has no laws restricting abortion. Far right looks enviously towards USA, where if a Republican (especially somebody like Joan of Ark) wins in 2012, he/she will be able to pack the Supreme Court with enough justices to overturn Roe vs. Wade. And so on.

The reason far right likes USA is that they cannot get any traction in Canada, while USA is much more conservative, it is respectable to belong to the far right there (the Republican Party base is mostly far right). The far right in Canada tried to model the Alliance Party (predecessor of the current Conservative Party) after the Republican Party, but it was a miserable failure.

Still, far right usually signifies fierce, jingoistic patriotism, so one would think that in spite of all this, far right would be proud of Canada. But evidently not.

Now of course things may have changed and were not right enough anymore, who knows anything now.

No fear of that, ironsides, you people will always be too far to the right for Canadians. As I said if Obama with his policies tries to run in Canada (as leader of the Conservative Party), eh will go down in defeat for being too right wing.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I am, according to SJP, a far-right lunatic, a fringe individual.......
yet....see the blue.

What can Canada's Left do to bring your Right wing back into believing in Canada again.

Nothing, short of converting Canada into a smaller, weaker version of USA.

Baloney. We realize the USA is a great democracy, the leader of the free world, our friend and ally. we also realize they are more powerful than us....and have some great faults. I do not want to be an American, if I did, I'd move to the USA. I want Canada to take the best of American traits, and combine them with the best of Canada....thus building a better nation.

I think they maybe slavishly devoted to the United States because they see or saw themselves in a goverment like ours, lets not forget that the Canadian Right are patriotic, but to what they think Canada should be, not to what it is.

Canada is basically a tolerant, progressive, liberal country, and the far right hates that with a passion. Thus, Canada legalized gay marriage, far right looks enviously towards USA where until recently, sodomy was a crime in Texas, punishable by ten years of imprisonment.

I care very little about gay marriage, one way or the other. What is important is that gays have a right to live as they please....in either country.

Canada has no death penalty. Far right looks to USA enviously where they do have the death penalty (the only developed country in the world to have death penalty, besides Japan).

I am against the death penalty.......as it stands in the USA today.

Canada has no laws restricting abortion. Far right looks enviously towards USA, where if a Republican (especially somebody like Joan of Ark) wins in 2012, he/she will be able to pack the Supreme Court with enough justices to overturn Roe vs. Wade. And so on.

I am not radically anti-abortion.....although I believe Canada, like every other civilized nation on earth, should restrict late-term abortions. That is a moderate view. No law, is by definition, a radical view.

The reason far right likes USA is that they cannot get any traction in Canada, while USA is much more conservative, it is respectable to belong to the far right there (the Republican Party base is mostly far right). The far right in Canada tried to model the Alliance Party (predecessor of the current Conservative Party) after the Republican Party, but it was a miserable failure.

Simply untrue. The Reform and Alliance Parties tried to do politics differently........and failed. Only taking up the completely unprincipled tactics and culture of the old PC and Liberal parties lead to success.....to try to label the new Conservative Party with Reform/Alliance traits is (unfortunately) laughable. SJP has no clue....

Still, far right usually signifies fierce, jingoistic patriotism, so one would think that in spite of all this, far right would be proud of Canada. But evidently not.

Just an idiotic smear.........no jingoistic patriotism here....in fact I see blind patriotism as one of the faults of the USA.....

Now of course things may have changed and were not right enough anymore, who knows anything now.

No fear of that, ironsides, you people will always be too far to the right for Canadians. As I said if Obama with his policies tries to run in Canada (as leader of the Conservative Party), eh will go down in defeat for being too right wing.

Funny....one minute he smears the GOVERNING Conservative Party with reform?Alliance labels....the next he says we are too right wing to succeed in Canada!

One thing about SJP, he never lets the facts interfere with his opinion.

In fact, he never lets debate into his cosy little Liberal world of stupid self-righteous pomposity. That is why he will never read this.....

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
doctors make more money in the US but they also lose a lot of money to malpractice lawsuits

Malpractice insurance is off the wall in the U.S., if national Healthcare starts, insurance costs will go down. The big question everyone has down here is what would happen to a Canadian diagnosed with cancer by their primary care doctor, how long would it take before they see an oncologist? Right now the second doctor you see in the U.S. is an oncologist almost immediately (within a couple of weeks). If care is that fast and treatment is the best available then there should be no real objections. The following is definatly not appropriate though.

And here is the governments answer to lower medical costs. They use Nurse Practitioners in the VA hospitals and quality of care has definatly dropped there.

If a Health-Care Bill Passes, Nurse Practitioners Could Be Key
If a Health-Care Bill Passes, Nurse Practitioners Could Be Key - TIME

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
SirJosephPorter: If all you can come up with is Gay, Abortion rights etc, when asked about patriotism, you are beyond understanding what it means. Even the far Left in the United States understand patriotism and what it means, countries like N. Korea, Iran and Iraq also understand what patriotism is. It has nothing to do with what you said.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
SirJosephPorter: If all you can come up with is Gay, Abortion rights etc, when asked about patriotism, you are beyond understanding what it means. Even the far Left in the United States understand patriotism and what it means, countries like N. Korea, Iran and Iraq also understand what patriotism is. It has nothing to do with what you said.

It has plenty to do with what I said, ironsides. I gave some of the reason why far right may not be patriotic in Canada, why they look enviously towards USA.

In my last post I considered social issues, but same could be said of other issues as well. For instance, far right wants equal Senate, fashioned after American Senate, whereby every province will have ten Senators. They want referendums, again fashioned after USA. They want the right to recall MPs, again fashioned after USA. They want extensive, bitter divisive hearings on Supreme Court appointments; they want the same circus that you have in USA.

Far right wants to emulate USA in many areas, and it is not getting traction for even one of them. That may be the reason why Canadian far right is so patriotic towards USA.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

That is really copying us, each State has one member of the House of Representatives based upon the population of that particular state. For example Florida has 25 members and New York has 29. (numbers could be off, but you get the idea). While each State has 2 members of Congress. The 2 members of the Senate was added so the so called aristocrats would not lose control of the country to easily by a popular uprising. Being your English heritage, I wouldn't expect any changes to your form of goverment. I thought you have the right to recall a MP just about anytime if you get (lose of confidence) enough votes. Guess it is the same here with the impeachment.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It has plenty to do with what I said, ironsides. I gave some of the reason why far right may not be patriotic in Canada, why they look enviously towards USA.

In my last post I considered social issues, but same could be said of other issues as well. For instance, far right wants equal Senate, fashioned after American Senate, whereby every province will have ten Senators. They want referendums, again fashioned after USA. They want the right to recall MPs, again fashioned after USA. They want extensive, bitter divisive hearings on Supreme Court appointments; they want the same circus that you have in USA.

Far right wants to emulate USA in many areas, and it is not getting traction for even one of them. That may be the reason why Canadian far right is so patriotic towards USA.

Yep! God forbid the peasants have the right to recall....I mean, then we wouldn't have a five year dictatorship, would we? And God knows the peasants can't be allowed to vote on issues directly....can you imagine the chaos of laws created without being filtered through the denizens of the Natural Governing Party???

And we simply can't have any challenge to the right of the government to turn the courts into a place of rampant political patronage.....why, if the peasants get power....they will be uncontrolable! :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::roll:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What Sir Poofer fails to understand is that Canadians don't want to emulate the States, but see a few things in the States that may be of value here. Both Les and I like the idea of a two term limit for the PM, for instance. But you can't tell Sir Pooter anything, he knows it all. lol

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
And on top of that, doctors qualified in their own countries can't practise here because they need to requalify here but there is so much bureaucracy, the gov't trips over itself constantly, hasn't got a clue what's its doing, and perfectly good immigrant docs end up cooking pizzas and driving taxis.
You have a great point that some of us have wondered about before. Now I am wondering why so many doctors have come here from South Africa and they seem to be able to start work immediately. I'm happy they are here but I'm just wondering why they get to trump doctors from other countries. We have a lot of doctors here in our city from South Africa.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
You have a great point that some of us have wondered about before. Now I am wondering why so many doctors have come here from South Africa and they seem to be able to start work immediately. I'm happy they are here but I'm just wondering why they get to trump doctors from other countries. We have a lot of doctors here in our city from South Africa.

All medical schools are not equal as are qualifications to become a doctor in all countries.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A little community near here has a couple, too. Perhaps they qualify before immigrating?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What Sir Poofer fails to understand is that Canadians don't want to emulate the States, but see a few things in the States that may be of value here. Both Les and I like the idea of a two term limit for the PM, for instance. But you can't tell Sir Pooter anything, he knows it all. lol

Anna, term limit was proposed by Republicans in USA. Now Republicans themselves have gone off the idea of term limits. None of the Republicans Senators, or Congressmen retire after two terms.

In USA they enacted two term limit for President, because Republicans did not want the repeat of FDR, who served four terms. But as soon as a popular president comes along, there are demands to get rid of that rule. Some republicans demanded that the two term rule be abolished, when Reagan’s second term neared its end. Some Democrats made the same demand when Clinton’s second term neared it send.

I don’t think there are too many people who think that term limit is a good idea. You are from the West, I assume Harper is your idol. I don’t think he supports term limits either. And I doubt you would support term limits for Harper anyway (you probably would support it for a Liberal PM).

In USA, term limit was a fad which Republicans embraced briefly, in order to get elected. In Canada, it is another Western fad, along with equal Senate and American style health care.

Term limit is not an Americanism, It used to be. But these days nobody is talking of term limits in USA.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I thought you have the right to recall a MP just about anytime if you get (lose of confidence) enough votes. Guess it is the same here with the impeachment.

No we don’t, ironsides. There is no mechanism to remove an MP from the Parliament. The most that can happen is that party may expel him from the party caucus and he may have to sit as an independent. But short of being convicted for a criminal offense (whereby he will have to serve prison time), I don’t think there is any mechanism to remove an MP from office.

And you don’t have it either. Short of a criminal conviction, you cannot remove a Senator or a Congressman from office (even after a criminal conviction, when he is serving prison sentence, I am not sure if he can be removed from the office). Impeachment is for presidents, governors and federal judges, not for Senators and Congressmen.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Anna, term limit was proposed by Republicans in USA. Now Republicans themselves have gone off the idea of term limits. None of the Republicans Senators, or Congressmen retire after two terms.

In USA they enacted two term limit for President, because Republicans did not want the repeat of FDR, who served four terms. But as soon as a popular president comes along, there are demands to get rid of that rule. Some republicans demanded that the two term rule be abolished, when Reagan’s second term neared its end. Some Democrats made the same demand when Clinton’s second term neared it send.

I don’t think there are too many people who think that term limit is a good idea. You are from the West, I assume Harper is your idol. I don’t think he supports term limits either. And I doubt you would support term limits for Harper anyway (you probably would support it for a Liberal PM).

In USA, term limit was a fad which Republicans embraced briefly, in order to get elected. In Canada, it is another Western fad, along with equal Senate and American style health care.

Term limit is not an Americanism, It used to be. But these days nobody is talking of term limits in USA.

SJP is living proof that a little knowledge, in the hands of an idiot, is of absolutely no consequence. SJP, as usual, has it backwards. No one ever expected Congressmen to be limited to two terms......or Senators....it was a tradition of Presidents only.....established to prevent the development of an ersatz kingship....also, the two term limit was practised long before the Republican Party even existed. It was tradition, unviolated from the first President until FDR came to power...

Abraham Lincoln founded the Republican Party almost 100 years after the two term limit was understood to be part and parcel of the office of President.

Canadians do not want term limits. Not in the east, and not in the west. :roll::roll::roll:It seems a silly idea, although many democratic nations use it.....

Recall, referenda, and Parliamentary review of judicial appointments are improvements on democracy.

term limits are limits on democracy.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I thought you have the right to recall a MP just about anytime if you get (lose of confidence) enough votes. Guess it is the same here with the impeachment.

No we don’t, ironsides. There is no mechanism to remove an MP from the Parliament. The most that can happen is that party may expel him from the party caucus and he may have to sit as an independent. But short of being convicted for a criminal offense (whereby he will have to serve prison time), I don’t think there is any mechanism to remove an MP from office.

And you don’t have it either. Short of a criminal conviction, you cannot remove a Senator or a Congressman from office (even after a criminal conviction, when he is serving prison sentence, I am not sure if he can be removed from the office). Impeachment is for presidents, governors and federal judges, not for Senators and Congressmen.

Impeachment is NOT recall.
Recall exists in many states....indeed, governors have been recalled without being impeached.:roll: