What is a Christian?

tompaine

Tom Paine
Sep 19, 2009
Metairie, LA (USA)
If I saw Christians act more like Jesus and physically shake the trees of govt, church and finance to rid it of corruption and fight for the rights of and welfare of the meekest of meek then perhaps I'd support Christianity.
As the old saying goes, sitting in church no more makes you a Christian than sitting in a garage makes you an automobile. I am quite in agreement that there is a chasm between what Jesus taught and the way the average person who calls themselves a Christian acts. Nevertheless, it doesn't dilute the strength and depth of what Jesus taught.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''A Christian is not someone who obeys Jesus.''

Imitating Jesus and the Apostle's examples were mandated in the New Testament:

I Cor 4:16; I Cor 11:1; I Thess 1:6

Obedience was the key to being a true Christian according to those teachings.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
As the old saying goes, sitting in church no more makes you a Christian than sitting in a garage makes you an automobile. I am quite in agreement that there is a chasm between what Jesus taught and the way the average person who calls themselves a Christian acts. Nevertheless, it doesn't dilute the strength and depth of what Jesus taught.
Jesus is more of an alchemist than a Jew or the Christian image that make him out to be gentle and forgiving. Until there is an understanding and universal reading into of a passage and it's true esoteric meaning then it will remain a chaotic religion with thousands of doctrines.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
So where in the Bible does it say that unless a woman is reborn, she can't get into heaven? Or that if a woman is reborn that she will?

At any rate, if there are gods, apparently they take extremely little interest in the goings on concerning Earth.
No doubt you will find some sort of fault with this, it is as close to speaking directly about women as it gets. Notice that there is nothing said that indicates the person has to initiate the 2nd birth.

M't:22:28:
Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven?
for they all had her.
M't:22:29:
Jesus answered and said unto them,
Ye do err,
not knowing the scriptures,
nor the power of God.
M't:22:30:
For in the resurrection they neither marry,
nor are given in marriage,
but are as the angels of God in heaven.

If you were a farmer and went on holidays how much effect would you have on the daily happenings on the farm?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you were a farmer and went on holidays how much effect would you have on the daily happenings on the farm?
Immense effect. It is an ongoing process. You can lose your crop in a matter of 2-3 days to insects without any warning. If you aren't there to spray you'll be cashing a crop insurance cheque and plowing your efforts under.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Perhaps this is a winter vacation when there is nothing to do. All the work necessary was completed in the past. The new spring is the time to return and plant all those 'saved seeds'.

Not that it works that way. The way it actually goes down is both weeds and crops are allowed to grow together, at harvest time everything is gathered. The weeds are then burned up, their ashes return to the fields basically as dust rather than seed.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Gawd, there's always some vegetable out there calling me a weed! Hell, I'm not a weed; I'm a wildflower! Roast the vegetables, water the flowers!

sibes

Dec 16, 2009
... we can ask for forgiveness at the end of our lives and we will be forgiven as long as we really feel remorse.

Remorse is not the only aspect of repentance. There is also restitution. People reap what they sow. You can't actually go to the end of your life disobeying God's law and then suddenly be "saved" by deathbed repentance. The Lord is a just God, and it's not just to treat lawbreakers with the same privileges afforded to the law-abiding.

"According to their deeds, accordingly he will repay, fury to his adversaries, recompence to his enemies; to the islands he will repay recompence." (Isa. 59:18)

tompaine

Tom Paine
Sep 19, 2009
Metairie, LA (USA)
Jesus was likely walking with a group and men and talking with men who then wrote down what he said. He was engaging people at the time that he was with not producing sound bytes for us to dissect thousands of years later. Today, we love to apply 21st century standards and then claim Jesus doesn't pass muster because his words don't sound inclusive enough to us. But Jesus was engaging the people of the 1st century. It's too bad if you truly see him as not being inclusive toward women because he was remarkably progressive in that regard considering the culture that he lived in.

tompaine

Tom Paine
Sep 19, 2009
Metairie, LA (USA)
I wouldn't waste my time with this gopher. You're dealing with fundamentalists here, just not of the Christian variety. Everything is black and white to them. People of faith are just dimwits who don't even believe their Bible because if they did they would do all this literal things. They think once you realize you are cutting off the hand which causes you to sin that you will see the light, no longer have faith in a non-existent god, and be a free thinker (cause you're not right now you understand). If only over 80% of the world would get on board with them, they figure, the world would be a much better place. I wonder why it's so hard to get that other 80% on board.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
I've never quite understood the reason for "confession" since we have an all seeing God. He is also an all forgiving God so the vid is fine but it forgets that we can ask for forgiveness at the end of our lives and we will be forgiven as long as we really feel remorse.
Wars are just one of the things that happen because man makes them happen. Why is it up to God to stop them? Too many bad things are done in the name of religion not because of religious beliefs.
'Confession' is very necessary. How else can a non-productive bunch of paedophiles manage to convince fools that they need an intermediary to talk to a non-existent Invisible Big Head in the sky.
The Bible is an evil book promoting, genocide, murder, rape, & slavery. Any avg. person has higher moral standards than the 'God' who supposedly gave these laws to Moses,
And don't forget that Jesus said he came not to change the law (of Moses)'one whit'.
Rubbish piled upon nonsense and merde de boeuf.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
'Confession' is very necessary. How else can a non-productive bunch of paedophiles manage to convince fools that they need an intermediary to talk to a non-existent Invisible Big Head in the sky.
The Bible is an evil book promoting, genocide, murder, rape, & slavery. Any avg. person has higher moral standards than the 'God' who supposedly gave these laws to Moses,
And don't forget that Jesus said he came not to change the law (of Moses)'one whit'.
Rubbish piled upon nonsense and merde de boeuf.

You obviously dont know what law Christ was talking about.